Author Topic: What can I do?  (Read 855 times)

Offline singleVI

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
What can I do?
« on: February 24, 2010, 06:24:16 AM »
   First off let me say that I'm a little familiar with bows and archery but not too knowledgeable. I used to shoot around a lot as a kid before I really knew much about them. I want to get into it as my uncles and grandpa (RIP) did it a lot. I inherited a small browning (45lb) when he passed and put an AMS retriever rig on it. Set up the rest and sights good enough to hit fish with(maybe i get lucky). I ordered my first real bow and some accessories and I want to know what I should be able to do before I have the bow shop do the serious stuff. I got a Parker Trailbazer 50-60lb 26-28", NAP Quicktune 1000 rest, SPOT-HOGG Real Deal sight, and Scott release, Sims X Coil, Ultra Bow Jax . What kind of setting up and tuning can I do before I let the shop handle the rest? I need them to tell me what arrows & length, install a nock point, and set it at 55lbs. Is there anything else I should have them do? Now I know a lot about firearms but when it comes to "bowsmithing" I'm lost. Thanks!

Offline GeneRector

• Contributor
Re: What can I do?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 06:59:01 AM »
 :) Howdy! I bought my archery equipment at Cabela's. They set everything up according to my strength and measurements, etc. Worked very well for me. Always, Gene

Happy Trails!
Always,
Gene Rector
Endowed NRA Life Member

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 07:04:18 AM »
take it to a reliable shop and let them tell you what you need, they may have to change some of the things you have done. I pay more for arrows at my shop than
i can buy them at the big box stores, because they do extra stuff for me and don't charge. Get to know the folks there.
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline Old Grizz

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 07:10:31 AM »
I agree with Rex, take it to a reliable archery shop and have them set it up. They will need to check the tiller and center shot along with your knock adjustment and your bow weight. You may pay a little more at a pro shop but if this process is done incorrectly you won't be very consistant with it. Goodluck!!!!
Marlin 1895G Rules
45-70
Member Team Hornady
Life Member NRA
Member NAHC

Offline singleVI

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 09:52:34 AM »
So I'll just install my accessories and have them work their magic. I know it depends on the shop, but what kind of prices can I expect? On the tuning that is. I still have to buy arrows, tips, peep sight. Also, what length arrow would you use if you had a 26" draw? They cut and prep arrows for free my buddy says.

Offline huntswithdogs

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 08:10:32 AM »
Single,
Don't install anything! There's too much that you can screw up that the shop will have to try and fix. Take the whole kit and caboodle to the bow shop. Let them set it up for ya. Get your arrows and peep while there. The shop can get the right weight and cut to length for ya. They'll take care of you as long as you take care of them.

HWD

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 09:51:30 AM »
Hopefully you bought the gear from the shop you want to have put it all together.  Some are not thrilled by people buying their gear somewhere else and then wanting them to put it all together and tune it it up.

Long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline hunt-m-up

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 04:39:53 PM »
If you were my neighbor I would help you set it up and install a peep sight as well, in fact that's what I did a couple years ago and got to witness him shoot his first deer with a bow. If I were in your situation I would return everything except the bow and take it to a shop to have them set it up. Most shops are pretty small and I don't think they want to set it up without making a little margin on the accessories as well.
Crosman Slingshot, Daisy Red Ryder, dull butter knife

Offline singleVI

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 11:51:23 AM »
Well, I put the sight and rest on. Along with stabilizer and wrist strap. Didnt adjust anything just got them installed. The NAP was screwed up from the package so Im sending it back to Cabelas. I bought the peep, arrows, and a new QAD fall away from the shop. My peep is a little high(the guy tied it in without me trying it and I didnt want to say nothin) but when I have it reinstalled after my string stretches Ill have it moved down. Now I need to find a target and get her dialed in. Hopefully (come on beginners luck!) I wont need to paper test it. I just wanna shoot! Also, how light do you guys have your releases? I can literally blow on the trigger of my Scott and it disengages. Too Light? Its adjustable and all. It kinda makes me nervous  :-[