Author Topic: 2009 Hunts  (Read 1087 times)

Offline mauser98us

• Trade Count: (40)
  • 10 mm junkie and Whelan wacko
2009 Hunts
« on: January 02, 2010, 05:36:06 AM »
Ok guys, it's Jan.2nd, and all the rifle hunts should be over. Would like to hear some success stories from all of you. Also would like to hear  some weather and hunting conditions whilst you were out. Were they abnormal or about right for your area? Down here in the good ole southwest, they were hot and dry,which did not help matters alot.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: 2009 Hunts
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 09:06:37 AM »
The ONLY hunt I did in 2009 east or west was the 5th Annual GBO Prairie Dog hunt out in the western end of the OK panhandle. It was a success in all ways as we shot a fair number of PDs and ate lots of good food and had lots of good dialogue with other GBO members in the evenings. It was even a western hunt tho admittedly not a big game hunt.

We did see pronghorn and mule deer in addition to white tail and even buffalo while out there.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline mauser98us

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 09:44:30 AM »
Well,while I did not connect with my elk,good BS and good eats around the fire make any hunt a success.

Offline Wyo. Coyote Hunter

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 11:16:30 AM »
 ;) My last elk hunt for 09, the elk were the winners...Saw tons of elk, but on the winter hunt, they were in big herds and stayed on top of the ridges...The elk I did see close enough to shoot were bulls and there were bunches, 33 in one herd...It was worth the license...I did get a chance early one morning I saw a herd of mixed bulls and cows going in, but was not sure of the ranch ownership on that area...Turned out I could have busted one..but dressing it in freezing weather maybe was more than I wanted to endure...Several times I may have made a stalk, but the evening cold, and thought of dressing the elk by myself in the cold temps, made me think I would wait for a better chance...I must be getting old........But it was fun, fun, saw many of these wonderful animals...Just oiled the .300 Wea. today and set it back in the safe...BUT this morning I put the coyote rifles back in the truck and now the real fun begins....Hope you guys had as much fun in 09 as I and hope 2010 is even better..........

Offline lucky guy

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 02:29:36 PM »
I spent a couple weeks in Montana hunting antelope, sharptails and pd's.  The group had plenty of shots on antelope, only one animal to show for it.  My brother got the only one he shot at.  My nephew missed shots (sometimes multiples) on five different lopes  ;D.  I had one running shot but my brother (across the draw) came into the scope as I swung so pulled off and then passed on the texas heart shot.  Just can't bring myself to take those.  We got lots of sharptails, they were everywhere.  We were around Ekalaka, about 70 mi. se of Miles City.  Shot pd's in that area too.  It was ok weather, low 40's during the days mostly, snowed a couple nights.

The elk hunt I wrote up earlier so won't do it again but a great hunt in the Ochocos in Oregon.  It snowed off and on the whole 8 days, and was only really tough weather one of the days.  I camped at about 5300 ft, elk were all between 6 - 7000ft.  I had a couple early opportunities that didn't pan out, but finally connected on day 8 with a 3-4 yr old cow.  Mmmm tasty too! 

It's still bird season so we're not done yet.  I'm still trying for a cougar too, I really want one this year!!  We're getting snow off and on so good tracking conditions, stay tuned!!   

Offline freddogs

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 12:10:22 PM »
 ;D Got skunked for elk in the Bighorns (Wyoming). The snow and steepness were too much for us. Seen elk. Saved them for bowhunters in 2010. They needed time to grow anyway. I'm looking forward to hunt antelope and or deer this year.

Offline mauser98us

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 03:17:35 PM »
Sure can tell I'm getting old. If I find and elk or deet in a particular area,and it would be real hard to get out. I usually pass on it.

Offline lucky guy

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2010, 06:38:13 AM »
;D Got skunked for elk in the Bighorns (Wyoming). The snow and steepness were too much for us. Seen elk. Saved them for bowhunters in 2010. They needed time to grow anyway. I'm looking forward to hunt antelope and or deer this year.

Man I like what I've seen of that area.  Hope to hunt that one day. 

Offline james

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 04:32:45 PM »
Took a raghorn in CO with a TC 50 cal. and a couple of antelope in Wy with a Savage/McGowen barrel 6.5x55.  No trophies but I am always thankful for a safe and successful hunt.  

Offline mauser98us

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 04:47:21 PM »
Hard to argue with results. good shootin'