Author Topic: Weighing the Options: New Rifle or New Barrel?  (Read 1075 times)

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Weighing the Options: New Rifle or New Barrel?
« on: February 28, 2010, 04:57:56 AM »
Looking at the new prices on the Barrel Accessory Program, it now costs about $155 to have the average rifle barrel fitted to your frame. $96 for the barrel, $25 for the labor charge and $19 for shipping and handling. You can also add the cost of shipping the receiver and stock to H&R which I'll estimate to be about $15.
The cost of the average Handi-Rifle at Bud's is $255 delivered to your FFL. My FFL charges an additional $25 for the transfer and background check, so it brings the total cost of the new Handi-Rifle up to $280 or just $125 more than just the barrel will cost you.
I really don't like to swap barrels once I get one shooting on the money, but obviously I could have almost two more caliber choices for the price of one new rifle.
So weighing the cost difference, what's your opinion? Are you better off buying a new Handi-Rifle complete, or sending for a barrel to be fitted?
Don

Offline dpe.ahoy

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
Re: Weighing the Options: New Rifle or New Barrel?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 05:48:21 AM »
I have had a total of 5 barrels fitted, but no more.  From now on I will only buy complete guns or buy from someone here.  Just doing my part for the economy of my fellow Handiholics.  DP
RIP Oct 27, 2017

Handi's:22Shot, 22LR, 2-22Mag, 22Hornet, 5-223, 2-357Max, 44 mag, 2-45LC, 7-30 Waters, 7mm-08, 280, 25-06, 30-30, 30-30AI, 444Marlin, 45-70, AND 2-38-55s, 158 Topper 22 Hornet/20ga. combo;  Levers-Marlins:Two 357's, 44 mag, 4-30-30s, RC-Glenfields 36G-30A & XLR, 3-35 Rem, M-375, 2-444P's, 444SS, 308 MX, 338Marlin MXLR, 38-55 CB, 45-70 GS, XS7 22-250 and 7mm08;  BLR's:7mm08, 358Win;  Rossi: 3-357mag, 44mag, 2-454 Casull; Winchesters: 7-30 Waters, 45Colt Trapper; Bolt actions, too many;  22's, way too many.  Who says it's an addiction?

Offline PowPow

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 08:27:16 AM »
I would swap barrels a lot and experienced a change in POI and groupings.
Each barrel had a dedicated scope. Thought it was just cheap guns and cheap scopes.
When I stopped changing barrels a lot, POI and groupings became consistent.

Now one barrel (30-06) stays on for the duration of deer season, and another barrel (223) goes on for the remainder of the year for coyotes, crows and paper.

If I needed to have the two calibers available often, I would get another receiver.
The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 08:53:34 AM »
 Better question might be. Do you want to wait until production starts back up and they get your barrel made(if they dont discontinue it) Do you trust them with your rifle? Or would it be better to buy on here and fit it yourself? I like the later of the 2 choices. But if the funds are there, another reciever is always handy(less swapping)so another gun would be in order.

just my 2 pennies

Lonny

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 09:21:08 AM »
Each barrel had a dedicated scope. Thought it was just cheap guns and cheap scopes.

I used to swap barrels and NEVER had a problem with POI changes or repeatable accuracy, but I've always used a torque sensing screwdriver to install the forend screw, that one factor will affect POI and accuracy on any H&R after reinstalling the forend, if you can't get it the same each time, it's going to change unless the forend is bedded which helps eliminate the issue.  ;)

TIm
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline PowPow

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 10:22:22 AM »
So a torque sensing screwdriver will save me a couple of hours at the range. Don't tell my wife. ;D
The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 10:30:47 AM »
A man can never have too many tools or guns!!  ;D

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline blacksan

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 10:58:25 AM »
For me dedicated rifles are the way to go even though I am also a Encore owner which hurts the wallet a lot more then Handi's.  :o

Offline dwalk

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 11:12:40 AM »
I'm of the belief that the best way to go about is is to have the barrel(s) fitted...work the bugs out of it/them and leave them status quo with a dedicated scope for each one. :)

i have no more than three calibers to a receiver... :-\
don't squat while wearing your spurs...will rogers

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2010, 11:23:42 AM »
I think that for me, from now on the whole rifle is the way to go, too. I dont mind checking for -0- after swapping barrels 'cause I like to shoot, but the 'grab it and go' regardless of caliber just suits my eclectic character better.
Besides, that way they can wear different clothes and have their own personality.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010, 01:24:32 PM »
I think that for me, from now on the whole rifle is the way to go, too.

I agree. When I want to use a gun I don't want to have to change the barrels and check zero first. While I've been very tempted by barrels seen here on the classifieds and in the barrel accessory program, I'll try my best to wait 'til I can afford to buy the whole rifle. I do however have an orphaned receiver that has no stock or barrel so I'm keeping my eyes open for a barrel for that.
Don

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2010, 06:15:14 AM »
I get the feeling your choice will be made for you by what you are able to find. Have you looked latley for bbl's or complete guns? Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2010, 01:15:43 PM »
I get the feeling your choice will be made for you by what you are able to find. Have you looked latley for bbl's or complete guns? Kurt

It is amazing that in this time of high nationwide unemployment that more aren't being put to work to manufacture a made in the USA product that is selling.
Don

Online ulav8r

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2010, 06:22:02 PM »
Having 2 barrels for one receiver makes a lot of sense if one is a 30/30 and the other is a 20 gauge.  Then you just need a handi case to carry them in.  That will cover everything from birds and squirrels to moose if used properly.

Offline Mac11700

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2010, 07:48:55 PM »

I used to swap barrels and NEVER had a problem with POI changes or repeatable accuracy, but I've always used a torque sensing screwdriver to install the forend screw, that one factor will affect POI and accuracy on any H&R after reinstalling the forend, if you can't get it the same each time, it's going to change unless the forend is bedded which helps eliminate the issue.  ;)

TIm

Same here..To me the best one can do for accuracy on a multiple barrel frame is to have seperate forearms for each and each forearm fully RTV bedded. RTV'ng them is cheap and easy and best of all if you sell the barrel at some point removing the bedding is painless.. The lock up will reamin the same on each barrel swap and there won't be an issue with it being out of zero.

I'll be having a 30-30 barrel and 280 barrel on 1 frame in a few days..and this is what I plan on doing for them.

Mac
You can cry me a river... but...build me a bridge and then get over it...

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2010, 03:24:14 PM »
The only reason I buy a bbl is to make a complete gun
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline wreckhog

• Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2010, 04:32:19 PM »
Lot of discontinued Handis. If you want a Hornet or .45LC in 2011, and you can find a used barrel, but not a gun, what would you do?

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2010, 04:52:00 PM »
I only have complete guns.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline Rustyinfla

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2010, 09:05:22 PM »

If I were to find just a barrel in a caliber that I really wanted I would go ahead and get it, but other than that I just buy complete guns.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tuff