Author Topic: 16th Century Artillery Instruments  (Read 2689 times)

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
16th Century Artillery Instruments
« on: February 27, 2010, 12:27:45 PM »
Some of these renaissance gunnery instruments almost attain the level of artworks in their own right. When viewing them, it's hard not to wonder whether they may lean a little more towards being objects of fantasy, rather than functional instruments.

Gunnery Instrument
Signed by Baldassarre Lanci
Dated 1557; Italian
Gilt brass; 150 mm in diameter
This gilt brass circle is richly engraved and decorated. Along the circumference, the disk bears a graduated scale divided into eight sectors, the names of the winds, and, on a protruding portion, two other graduated scales. The surface bears the signature of the author, Baldassarre Lanci, and the date, 1557.
A pivot supports the curved arms of the compass at the centre; one arm is fixed, the other rotates and is provided with a graduated plumb rule inscribed 'B.L.' (Baldassarre Lanci).
The instrument was used to carry out topographical measurements of relief and to measure distances and heights, the calibre of cannon and the diameters of projectiles.

Gunnery Instrument
Signed by Erasmus Habermel
Late 16th century; Prague
Gilt brass; 350 ? 194 mm
The lavish appearance of this finely engraved and decorated military instrument strongly suggests that it belonged at court rather than on the battlefield.
The device, made by Rudolf II's instrument maker, incorporates three distinct instruments designed for the 16th-century gunner: a quadrant, a sight and a gauging rod.

Gunner's Level
Unsigned
Dated 1573; German
Brass; 185 ? 151 ? 16 mm
This instrument is a simple gunner's level in the form of a set square.
What makes the instrument unusual amongst examples of the gunner's level is the decorative scheme chosen by the maker: a depiction of Jonah appearing out of the mouth of the Whale - at first sight not the most obvious choice for an instrument made to be used on the field of battle, but a charming one nevertheless.

Gunner's Sight And Level
Signed by Josua Habermel
Later 16th century; Prague
Brass and silver; 180 mm in height
This finely engraved silver instrument is made up of a curved base with a sliding transverse plate which carries a small compass, graduated vertical sight with slider, and a graduated levelling arc.
Combined sights and levels were used in gunnery, allowing artillery to be aimed correctly by placing the instrument on the rear of the cannon to measure its elevation.
This instrument was constructed by Josua Habermel, a Prague instrument-maker noted for the precious objects he made for princely collections.

Gunner's Sight And Level
Unsigned
16th century; origin unknown
Gilt brass; 130 mm in height
The instrument, provided with a rigid plummet, is made up of two parallel brass plates between which a pinhole sighting plate can slide. The instrument would have had a curved base which is now missing, as are other parts.
This type of instrument, known as a cannoneer's rule or bomber's rule was used to indicate the elevation of guns, by placing the curved base on the rear of the cannon. The optimum elevation was determined by taking the density of the projectile into account.

Gunner's Sight And Level
Unsigned
16th century; German
Brass and silver; 70 mm in height
This instrument is made up of two thin parallel silver plates, on a curved moveable brass base. A cursor can run in the groove between the plates, to indicate the divisions engraved on the surface. The instrument has a plummet, fashioned in metal.
The instrument is quite robust and simple, in contrast to many more ornate gunner's sights and levels, suggesting that it might actually have been used in battle.

Gunner's Sight And Level
Signed by Ulrich Klieber
Dated 1578; Augsburg
Gilt and silvered brass; 156 mm in height
The main part of this instrument is a gunner's sight and level accompanied by graphical and numerical tables for gunnery, mounted together on an elaborate adjustable foot.
In addition, there is a hinged upper section which includes a decorative plummet, a sundial and a compass. There was once also a further part, signalled by the presence of an additional set of hinges which are now empty.
In its combination of military and sundial elements, the instrument might seem to be expensive and unusual, perhaps specially commissioned for a patron. However, several other similar examples are known by the maker Ulrich Klieber.
The original wood and pasteboard case survives; it is lined with red leather and covered with tooled leather.

Gunner's Sight And Level
Unsigned
Late 16th century ?; Augsburg
Gilt brass; 78 mm in height
Clearly the elegance and delicacy of this gunner's sight and level is a sharp contrast to its use on the battle-field. However, such high-quality pieces are very common amongst the surviving instruments of this type.
The level is not signed, but its style appears to be similar to instruments made in Augsburg.
The instrument retains its original fitted leather-covered wooden case.

Gunner's Folding Rule
Signed by Humfrey Cole
Dated 1575; London
Brass; 188 mm in length
This is one of three surviving gunner's rules by Humfrey Cole, two of which are in the British Museum. They offer a wide range of applications beyond those of an ordinary folding rule which makes them a valuable instrument in surveying, gunnery and trade.
The use of the instrument is best summarized in Cole's own words inscribed on the outside edge of one of the limbs: 'This instrument is a rule a square a peare of Compasses a quadrant to knowe ye howres heights and distances of any thinge ye shotinge of Ordenance to measure'.

Gunner's Compendium
Unsigned
Later 16th century; German
Gilt brass; 143 ? 143 mm
This is a highly unusual instrument composed of a gunner's sight, a plummet, quadrant, shadow square, horizontal sundial and compass.
Its perforated plate was meant to stand vertically but the necessary support is now missing, as are various other elements such as the sliding piece for the sight, the plumb-bob for the plummet, the folding gnomon of the sundial and the compass needle. There are two numerical tables, one of which converts between paces and feet, but their exact construction and use is uncertain, as are the ungraduated scales which feature along three edges of the plate.
Despite all these losses and uncertainties, the artillery context implied by the gunner's sight is underlined by a small engraved vignette which shows a gunner standing by a cannon which has just fired its shot.

Gunner's Compendium
Unsigned
Dated 1595; German
Gilt brass; 172 mm in length
This is an unusual form of instrument which combines a caliper, direct-reading gunner's gauge scales and gunner's sight with a horizontal string gnomon sundial, a compass, a calendar-zodiacal scale and a quadrant.
Gunnery and time-telling are occasionally found together on other instruments. However, this instrument also has a number of errors, not only in the division and numbering of its scales but even in its ability to fulfil its apparent purpose. Yet it is not a unique aberration; at least one other device of the same general form is known.

Gunner's Caliper
Signed by Lorenzo Batecin
16th century; Venice
Gilt brass; 280 mm in length
This instrument is made up of two legs which are curved near the ends. The curved parts contain a degree scale on one side and a Cardan suspension compass on the other. The compass is equipped with an equinoctial sundial.
The legs are pierced with holes which allow the passage of a ray of sunlight, allowing the sun's elevation to be measured with the aid of a plumb-line, which is now missing. A second graduated arc provides direct-reading gunner's gauge scales; when the legs are opened to measure the diameter of cannonballs the arc provides a reading of their weight.
The lion of St. Mark, alluding to Venice and the Venetian Republic, and the name of the inventor, Lorenzo Batecin, about whom we have no information, are engraved on the instrument.

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
Re: 16th Century Artillery Instruments
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 12:36:53 PM »
16th century talent.  Incredible!  I especially like the one with all the numbers and printing on it in a time when few could even read.  Thanks Boom J!
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Ex 49'er

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 04:58:02 PM »
Neat instruments. Wonder why I've never seen anything like this on fleabay, though? I thought they had everything.   ;D
When you're walking on eggs; don't hop!!

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 05:14:31 PM »
BoomJ -

Thanks for posting this collection !

Amazing the work that went into each piece.
Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 06:10:44 PM »
Wonder why I've never seen anything like this on fleabay, though?

Probably because no one would steal such things, thinking there is no market for them.   ;D
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 07:45:15 PM »
I don't know what the odds of seeing an original 1500's artillery sight/level on eBay would be, but I did see this reproduction from Franklin Mint up for auction around four years ago. It was originally offered by Franklin Mint as one of its "Great Instruments of Discovery" series, and by the description and photos it seemed to be a well made solid brass item, so I figured it would sell for at least $50 and I didn't give it any further attention because I wasn't willing to pay that much. When I later saw that it would have sold for the seller's opening 99 cents bid I wasn't very happy, so from that time on when I see something that even slightly interests me, I'll put in in my max bid just in case no one else ends up bidding.  

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.