Author Topic: finaly tryed some slugs in my .410 , i was verry plesatly suprised  (Read 1687 times)

Offline matthew_h

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
hey guys i have not been around for a while its nice to stop by and catch up . i took my tc thunder hawk i bought from a member to a friends back yard range . the tc shot well but i just have a hard time with the open sights on it for some reason . short sight radius i guess .

any way i brought my.410 nef too and shot some slugs thought it for the first time . i hit the target i was trying to hit with my muzzle loader the first time dead center at 30 yards .  then we set up some pop bottles full of water , 2 more shots 2 blown up pop bottles .

i won't be deer hunting with it but when i am out squirrel hunting and a coyote shows up ( has happened to me a few times) i will be ready  . oh yeah the slugs were Winchester 3 inch  ,the barrel was 26" full choke that i have burnished with 00 steel wool . 

Offline FLNT4EVR

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
Re: finaly tryed some slugs in my .410 , i was verry plesatly suprised
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 10:25:27 AM »
Thats good to hear. I just picked up a 410 just like yours this morning. I have the Win slugs,and some of the new Federal buckshot loads and can't wait to get out to the range.I have 4 Handy shotguns I want to play with.  410 , 28GA , 20GA, and 12GA. Someday I hope to add a 16GA to the group but they are pretty rare around here.
" Act civilized...even if you ain't " 

" I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people , and I require the same from them. "
                                  John Wayne, "The Shootist"

Offline Daman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
  • Me and Papa's first double!!!
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 10:30:58 AM »
I went in a pawn shop the other day and they had 4 16's but they were ridiculous.

Daman
Live simple. Hunt Hard. Love Life.

I thank God everyday for my loving wife and all the fond memories of hunting with my Papa from a child until now.

Please take time to take a kid hunting, it will be a life long memory and blessing for both of you!

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 01:34:09 PM »
I've had good luck with .410 slugs also. 2" groups at 30 yards with just the bead sight. I think they were Winchester brand.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline plumberroy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 03:15:48 PM »
Thats good to hear. I just picked up a 410 just like yours this morning. I have the Win slugs,and some of the new Federal buckshot loads and can't wait to get out to the range.I have 4 Handy shotguns I want to play with.  410 , 28GA , 20GA, and 12GA. Someday I hope to add a 16GA to the group but they are pretty rare around here.
If that buckshot is the federal "410 handgun"buckshot that stuff is wicked out of a long gun
Every breath I take as a Free man was paid for with the blood of an American Soldier

Offline matthew_h

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 06:06:38 PM »
i like me a good 16 gauge  . the guns are kinda hard to find around here but the ammo is easy to find . meijer here has 16 gauge bird shot in stock all the time and slugs and buckshot during deer season .

i bought a pre 1969(mid 40's i think) Stevens 16 gauge for $85(too much probably but worth it to me) . the finish is worn but it locks up tight as a vault .

any way back to nef . i really like my .410 its deadly on squirrels and is a well built gun exp for the price .

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (66)
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 02:37:29 AM »
good info , thanks

Offline FLNT4EVR

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 03:57:10 AM »
Yup  thats what i bought. 3in Win slugs and the Federal 410 buckshot for handguns. It certainly looks like some serious self defense ammo. I wish the range at my club would hurry up and dry out,at least enough to walk on.
" Act civilized...even if you ain't " 

" I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people , and I require the same from them. "
                                  John Wayne, "The Shootist"

Offline bikerbeans

• Trade Count: (168)
  • BANDIT - North American Snake Hound
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 10:56:53 AM »
Hi All,

I am getting my 410 SB1 back from the G-Smith tomorrow.  Had it shortened to 22", barrel re-crowned and a H&R standard scope rail attached (D & T).  I hunt primarily in Ohio and a 410 slug gun is legal to hunt whitetail.  Ohio DNR's way of trying to induce women and kids to hunt deer.  A 223 Rem makes more sense to me but I don't run the show.  Probably go with a Red Dot or low power fixed scope.  This gun is for my wife and/or 12 year old daughter, which ever one I can get to hunt with me.  Anyway thanks for the info on the slugs as i was going to post asking for folks opinions.  I am also going to try the Brenneke attached wad 410s and see what they do.  One last question, what do you think max range for deer is with a 410 slug?

thanks

BB
RIP Tom: Tom Nolan, ( bikerbeans) passed away this afternoon (02-04-2021).

Why be difficult, when with a little extra effort you can be impossible?

Wife's Handis;  300 BLKOUT

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline Rayzor

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 05:44:26 PM »
I always wanted to try flicking some slugs out of my 410. For some reason I did not think that was a option for a full choked barrel.

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 04:37:36 AM »
My personal limit for .410 slugs on whitetail would be 30 yards.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline bikerbeans

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 04:55:17 AM »
Doublebass,

Kinda of my thought on range.  I will put them in a tree stand on a farm I hunt, most shots are within 30 yards.

BB

MINE:  270W, 308x444, 44 Bodeen, 410 shorty rifled slug gun, 445 SuperMag Shikari, 45 ACP shorty,  45-70 Shikari, 45 Cal Smokeless MZ, 50cal 24" SS Sidekick, 50 cal 24" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Huntsman, 50 cal 26" Sidekick, 50-70 Govt Shikari, Tracker II 20 ga shorty, 20 ga VR Pardner, 20ga USH, 12ga VR NWTF, 12ga Tracker II shorty WITHOUT scope, 12ga USH, 10 ga  Pardner Smoothbore slug gun & 24ga Profino Custom rifled slug gun.

Offline Daman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 05:10:04 AM »
I have killed two deer with my 410. One with 000 buck, one with slug. The one with the 000 was shot in the neck at 22 steps and he dropped in his tracks. The on with the slug was shot at 40 steps low behind the shoulder and he went about 40 yards and laid down and died. I put a finisher from my pistol in him. Just wanted to try it.

Daman

I thank God everyday for my loving wife and all the fond memories of hunting with my Papa from a child until now.

Please take time to take a kid hunting, it will be a life long memory and blessing for both of you!

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2010, 03:18:41 PM »
It's good to hear some real life experiences with the .410. Within its limits it can get the job done.

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2010, 05:50:57 PM »
I had a 410 Pardner that I cut down to 20" and recrowned it. It was drilled and tapped and had a 4x scope on it. It was a great little slug shooter but I wouldn't have used it for deer. I would stick to at least a 20 ga. for deer. Just my 2 cents.

Spanky

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2010, 07:48:19 PM »
I think you will find the slug out of a .410 is about .32 Cal.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline bikerbeans

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2010, 01:38:21 AM »
Larry,

the 410 slugs are less than bore diameter, unlike the larger foster slugs?

BB

Offline Daman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2010, 05:07:50 AM »
I had a 410 Pardner that I cut down to 20" and recrowned it. It was drilled and tapped and had a 4x scope on it. It was a great little slug shooter but I wouldn't have used it for deer. I would stick to at least a 20 ga. for deer. Just my 2 cents.

Spanky

I will agree with Spanky here. I did it to prove to myself that it could be done. Note I said killed two, I have shot three. The first was when I was six. I shot him IN the front shoulder with 000 and broke his shoulder. He didn't even run just stood there shocked and my Papa shot him in the neck with his '06 to kill him.

My conclusion is a child  probably shouldn't shoot a deer with one due to excitement getting in the way of accuracy. The two I killed was when I was 19 and had been shooting the same 410 since I was 5. It can be done, but I would strongly recommend bow ranges only and plenty of practice.

Daman

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2010, 08:49:21 AM »
I feel the same way Daman, keep it to bow ranges or else use something bigger. It does have it's place if you live in a shotgun only area and it's all your kid can handle for recoil. I'd much rather see a kid out hunting with a .410 than sitting at home playing video games.

Offline Daman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2010, 09:47:37 AM »
I feel the same way Daman, keep it to bow ranges or else use something bigger. It does have it's place if you live in a shotgun only area and it's all your kid can handle for recoil. I'd much rather see a kid out hunting with a .410 than sitting at home playing video games.

I rather them be hunting with 22 shorts than at home playing video games!

Daman

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2010, 09:54:35 AM »
I got an old once holer that I cut down years ago for hte kids to start on.
I've been wanting to try a couple slugs out of it.
It's pretty short and handy.
I could think of lots of uses for it with those slugs.
I'm gonna have to try that out now.
That's for the update.
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member