Author Topic: At what age to start  (Read 590 times)

Offline Gene R

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
At what age to start
« on: March 04, 2010, 07:02:28 AM »
I've read several post where some father is asking about what gun to buy for their childs first gun, I enjoy hearing these stories.

I bought my two sons their first rifle (chimpmonk) when they were about 5, they are 18 & 21 now and both have more guns than I do, every birthday and every christmas a new gun for each now it is time for Daddy until I get some grands. Already thinking of buying a few for the future grands.

How old were your children when you bought them their first gun and what type?
I'm sure you have as fond of memories of those days as I do.

Offline Catfish

Re: At what age to start
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 11:09:21 AM »
My kids all fired a handgun for the first time around the age of 2 yrs. This was not to get them started shooting, but to keep them from wanting to shoot. A .22 revolver is to big for them to hold on their own so you have to help them. That and a .22 long rifle is real loud when you don`t have muffs, plus the recoil of the handgun is enough to send any 2 yr.old running to moma. I always had loaded gun laying around the house where they could get hold of them and that is 1 good way to keep them from wanting to get hold of them. The next lesson was around 2 1/2 to 3 yrs. same thing but with a .38 sp. At about 5 they would get interested again and then I started teaching them to shoot. My son got a deer at the age of 12 with a .357 revolver. And at that age he was shooting my .44 mag.  ::) Man, that was 20 yrs. ago.  :o

Offline teamnelson

• Trade Count: (30)
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 11:42:10 AM »
Chipmunk .22LR for both when they were 5ish, we'd been overseas before or we would've started sooner. Then my son got a 10/22 handed down when he was 8. I gave him a .357 for his 12th (daughter got a hope chest ... we're old fashioned I guess). He claims my Ithaca 37 clone tactical 12ga pump is his, as well as one of my 92 clones in .357 ... I suppose they are but I'm not going to admit for a few years.  ;D
held fast

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 10:31:36 AM »
I bought a CZ Scout for my oldest when he was 6 but didn't really let him shoot it until he was 7. He's 12 now. My second boy I got a Chipmunk for him when he was 5 and he started shooting a little at 6. He'll be 9 in June. I have let them shoot my Ruger MK II 6 7/8 pistol off the bench now and then and even my Walther P99 40 a couple times off the bench. My oldest started shooting a Savage 22/410 a little when he was 10 and I got him a Mossberg youth 20 ga last fall. Its SO easy to get a handgun pointed the wrong direction that I prefer to keep them on long guns in highly controlled situations. We do hunt together with the 22 rifles and 20 for grouse and ptarmigan about this time of year when we can get out on our snowmobiles. I let the oldest shoot my Marlin 94 41 mag when he was about 9, youngest demurred. I let the oldest one carry a 30-30 M94 last fall for moose. I bought my youngest a youth Savage 22 bolt in left hand last  year even tho its too big for him still. I had the cash and I want to build a small left hand collection for him as he is left eyed.

Interesting approach Catfish - never thought of that angle. BUT my oldest was born thinking he could whip the world with one hand and he won't be scared off. He's hard to manage as a prohibition is often just a challenge to be over come. So arms stay locked. He HAS been good about gun safety much to my relief - but I have to choose my words and actions carefully. Yes he's a daily handful.

This should almost go in the Youth and shooting forum but might not hurt for folks to see it here.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline Gene R

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 11:14:09 AM »
I agree, hand guns are easy to get pointed where they shouldn't be. I don't remember exactly, but I believe they were around 12 or 13 before I let them shoot a hand gun much. But after that I bought my oldest son a 22/45 and my youngest wanted and got my single six. We had and still have many great afternoons shooting what ever is lying around in the woods.

I posted this here because of the higher traffic, and wanted to see some responses as to what age to start. As I am already thing of buying a few guns for future grands, they get more and more expensive every year and the kids are not likely to have the extra cash to buy them when the time comes.

I'm considering for starters to put up for them
20ga either Remington youth or mossberg youth
ruger 10/22
and maybe for way down the road a Thompson Encore in 243

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 11:38:05 AM »
  I started my grandaughter at age 5. Started her vwith a Rossi "matched pair", .22LR/.410 youth model. It was a stretch for her at first, but now that she is 11, and I painted the stock a shade of lilac and it fits just right, she is enjoying it even more. Good thing about it is, when she gets older she need not give it up,  I can put an adult stock on the same gun.
  I have 3 grandsons and bought each of them their first gun...plus gifted many since. Youngest one was at a gun show with me when I got him a bought him one of those accurate Chinese bolt action .22s (jw15 ?). The middle grandson got a "tricked out" 10/22 after I finished it and got some game with it. The eldest, I bought a Marlin 25N..and started him on groundhogs. He has gone on with his love of guns as a Marine Special Ops trooper and an armorer..becoming a gunsmith.
  The earlier the start, the better..
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline Autorim

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 05:14:21 PM »
My grandson is 8 now and has a CZ left hand .22 with a red dot sight. He shoots my Ruger No. 3 carbine in .22 Hornet very well now with a scope. I started him with a 10/22 and also a .22 handgun at age 3 - both with red dot sights. He has his own eye and ear protection which he uses for shooting and with loud machinery. It is very important to protect ears and eyes with all firearms.

I have a very sturdy and heavy tripod for my cameras that I use to mount a rabbit ear sandbag. We adjust the height to suit him and nestle the gun between the ears. At age 3 he could consistently hit 2x4 wood blocks at 15 yards. He can now easily hit liter bottles of water at 75 yards. We also use the same set up for the Beeman air rifle with a scope and he can hit shotguns shells at 30 yards most of the time. He has his own Daisy BB gun and shoots it regularly - always with eye protection.

All parents and grandparents have different family rules and all children are different.

Another helpful hint before hunting. I cut a hole about 1.5 inches in diameter in a small card and taped black thread across it to simulate the crosshairs in a scope. When my sons were old enough to deer hunt, we sat for hours thumbing through outdoor magazines and he would place the "crosshairs" on the deer.
They learned about shot placement at broadside and quartering shots. The first deer and all since have been down in one shot.

Hope this helps.

Ken

Offline ShootnStr8

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 04:53:22 AM »
Ken,

I like the "card and thread" approach.  Clever!

I used hunting computer games similarly to help my son determine where to aim at game approaching from various angles. (Dad benefitted too!)

Blessings!

ShootnStr8
There is a God shaped vacuum in the heart of every man which cannot be filled by any created thing, but only by God, the Creator, made known through Jesus.
--Blaise Pascal

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 05:53:33 AM »
My daughters were introduced at 7,10, and 13. That was about the time I started bringing guns home. They liked hanging around with me and would go to the range with me. They were beginning to pester me about shooting too. At the time all I had was a 300WM, not really suitable for a beginner rifle! ( from 17yrs old till 40 I was pretty much a strict bowhunter, only owned a BP rifle during that time). Started them off with a Marlin rimfire rifle and progressed to a Beretta Neos the next year.

During the learning process all shooting was done sitting at a bench sandbagged for the most part. No good reason to be moving the muzzle around and the girls were sorta weak at that time anyway. Eight years later even the youngest is shooting about anything they can lift. I must have scared them away from the 300 Tikka cause they still won't touch it, 1895 Marlin no problemo "wow that thing kicks dad, can I shoot it again"?

Watching the girls shoot an AR was enlightening. "Dad that is an Army rifle why do you have that? No I'm not going to shoot it, those are dangerous." A few minutes showing them that it is very nearly the same as the Marlin Semi auto they grew up shooting they were finally able to get over the EBR phobia. About the only negative comment now is, "it sounds like a stupid pogo stick".

My favorite kids shooting story : The twelve yr old daughter talking to the 30 yr old wife of a family friend. " Here try this 9mm its more fun than those 40's dad and Steve are shooting". Then a while later she brings up the Neos and tells her maybe she should practice with it till she gets better with pistols! This was all done straight faced with genuine concern for her shooting to improve.

The youngest loves shooting the others are competent shooters but too busy to get out with dad anymore. They will one day surprise a boyfriend or husband though.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline Gene R

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2010, 06:45:26 AM »
I really like the card and thread idea, I will remember that.

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one that started them off young.

My 18 year old son will still shoot with me a good bit and so did my 21 year old until he was about 19 or 20, now he is too busy with a "GIRL" he will shoot in the back yard with me for about 10-20 min here and there. A lot of friends say when hes about 25-30 he will start makeing more time for me.