Author Topic: pawn shop NEF 20g  (Read 742 times)

Offline gstewart44

• Trade Count: (20)
pawn shop NEF 20g
« on: March 04, 2010, 05:07:32 AM »
Need some advice.  Our local pawn shop has an NEF 20g for sale.  Asking $99.   Ser.No starts  NAxxxxxxxx.   I believe that indicates it was manufactured in 1986.     The barrel locks up like a bank vault when closed,  the bore is bright and shiny, and the case color is beautiful.   However when the action is open the barrel/lug/hinge has a lot of play in it.....almost to where you would think the barrel will come off.  Just by eyeballing it I would say the play is about 1/16th inch on either side.   

The shotgun looks great but I have an uneasy feeling about the "loose" open action.   

Your thoughts are appreciated.   

Thanks. 
I'm just tryin' to keep everything in balance, Woodrow. You do more work than you got to, so it's my obligation to do less. (Gus McCrae)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: pawn shop NEF 20g
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 05:26:25 AM »
Remove the forend and and check for looseness when the action is closed, when open doesn't matter, if it's loose when locked up without the forend on, you don't want it unless you can get it real cheap. You can buy a brand new Pardner for not much more, in fact the local chain store has em on sale for $99.99 a few times a year, I wouldn't give more than $50-$60 for a used one myself.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline gstewart44

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 06:04:34 AM »
thanks Tim,

I'll head by there on my way home and check it w/o the foreend.   Also, is the 1986 frame strong enough for a 357 or 44 mag barrel?   Just curious.  Thanks again. 
I'm just tryin' to keep everything in balance, Woodrow. You do more work than you got to, so it's my obligation to do less. (Gus McCrae)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 06:34:25 AM »
It's an SB1, H&R has said they'll fit those barrels to 1987 and later frames, but the NA serial number means it was made by H&R1871, not H&R Inc, so they should fit acc barrels to it, or you can. H&R1871 bought the company out of bankruptcy in late 1986, hence the pre '87 NA serial number prefix which is an exception to the 1987 cutoff.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline gstewart44

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2010, 06:36:05 AM »
Thanks again Tim,

I'll let you know what I find out this evening. 

Offline Daman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
  • Me and Papa's first double!!!
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 07:10:19 AM »
Offer them $70 out the door or go buy a new one for $20 bucks more than they are asking. A new Pardner around here goes for $120.

Daman
Live simple. Hunt Hard. Love Life.

I thank God everyday for my loving wife and all the fond memories of hunting with my Papa from a child until now.

Please take time to take a kid hunting, it will be a life long memory and blessing for both of you!