Author Topic: Bad first day at range  (Read 1074 times)

Offline skiforce

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Bad first day at range
« on: February 28, 2010, 11:13:03 AM »
I got to take my NEF 25-06 to the range for the first time today.  First round in the chamber...cock the hammer...pull the trigger, click.  Not a good sound.  Try again...click.  Five more rounds tried, 10 more clicks.  All rounds had dimples on the primers but it was obvious that they were not being hit hard enough.  I broke it down when I got home and measured the firing pin protrusion @ .0475".  Additionally, I can push the pin from the back at get .07~" manually.  What is wrong with the gun and most importantly can I fix it my self.  If not, I will be sending it in to the factory and getting it fitted for additional barrels while it is there.  Thanks in advance.  BTW, I pulled a bullet from a different kind of 25-06 ammo and tried to get a primer to fire...no luck.

Mike

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
Re: Bad first day at range
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 11:23:37 AM »
You should be able to fix this yourself. Your pin protrusion is in the proper range. Was this a factory barrel or a barrel you fit?

I routinely install the WOLFF spring kits in my rifles. Seems its not so uncommon a problem to have occasional misfires. the new extra power springs usually fix it.

The last thing is trigger pull. Handis are a bit different and a person may have been inside and lightened the trigger improperly resulting in this problem. OR your just not pulling it completely to the rear...

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline skiforce

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 11:27:03 AM »
It is a brand new gun with the factory fit barrel. 

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2010, 11:33:11 AM »
OK,
Rules out someone being in there before you...

Can you snap primers @ home? Do you have the ability to just prime cases?  If so, prime a case and load it up... Pull the trigger fully to the rear of the trigger guard, not just enough to break the sear as you would on a fine rifle trigger.... Did it fire?

Spring kit is available from Brownells. Even though its new, I would change the spring before sending it in.. Its an easy job, the FAQ's outline it in the trigger job posts.

I'll get you a hot link to the spring kit...

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2010, 11:40:22 AM »
One thing you need to check is if the chambered round is flush or below the barrel face, if it's recessed very much, it may have too much headspace, add in the barrel to frame gap and not pulling the trigger all the way to the rear and you get no fires. Read the Handi Basics 101, pulling the trigger properly on an H&R is important.

Firing pin protrusion is measured with the trigger pulled to the rear and the hammer resting against the frame with the transfer bar in the up position. It could also be a bad transfer bar which you can replace if you buy the part from Brownell's, H&R won't sell it, but they will fix it for free if you send it in. If you find the chambered round is flush with the chamber face, you can remove a little from the face of the hammer where it stops against the frame to increase pin protrusion, but that won't fix a bad transfer bar, neither will a new hammer spring. If you end up wanting to send it back, contact them, explain the problem and ask for them to cover return shipping, (toll free (866)776-9292.

Brownell's doesn't sell Wolff springs, they sell the factory spring, Wolff and Midway are the only sources I'm aware of that sells the hammer spring, there is no spring "kit" that I'm aware of, you'll want the single coil.

Tim

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=565785

http://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?page=items&cID=2&mID=27

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline skiforce

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 11:43:22 AM »
OK,
Rules out someone being in there before you...

Can you snap primers @ home? Do you have the ability to just prime cases?  If so, prime a case and load it up... Pull the trigger fully to the rear of the trigger guard, not just enough to break the sear as you would on a fine rifle trigger.... Did it fire?

Spring kit is available from Brownells. Even though its new, I would change the spring before sending it in.. Its an easy job, the FAQ's outline it in the trigger job posts.

I'll get you a hot link to the spring kit...

CW

Well that fixed it.  I took my trigger assist off and it popped the first primer I tried.  Guess I have to live with the trigger as is.  It is not that bad, it was just nicer with the assist.

Thanks guys.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 11:48:50 AM »
I forgot you had that EZ pull trigger gizmo, now you've confirmed that it may not work with the transfer bar!  :-\ Do a real trigger job on it or have a smith or H&R do it.  ;)

Tim

Offline skiforce

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 11:50:14 AM »
Will H&R still bring it to 3lbs for free?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 12:04:47 PM »
About 3½lbs, there's a link in the FAQs about it, they won't touch it if it's already under their threshold. Best time to have it done is when sending it in for an accessory barrel, but they'll do just a trigger job if you send the frame in, no need to send the barrel and stock.

Tim

Offline skiforce

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2010, 12:08:37 PM »
Thanks.  I may be going to Aghanistan in Oct for 6 months.  If so, all of my H&Rs will be going into the shop for new barrels and trigger jobs.  My sidekick has a horrible trigger on it.  My 20 ga is a dream and my 25-06 is "ok".  Regardless, if I have to miss hunting season, I might as well get something good out of it.

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2010, 01:59:30 PM »
I have been fortunate.  All of my Handi's so far have had good trigger pulls.  My old 30-30, (even after swapping internal parts!), my BC 45-70 (now only a frame), and my 7-08.  I hope the .45 carbine and .223 which I will pick up when I get to Michigan in May, will have good triggers also.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline skiforce

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2010, 02:31:12 AM »
Went to the range again.  Now it fires perfectly.  My only limiting feature (for targets) is the scope I put on it.  It is a first focal plane scope.  For those who don't have one of these and are unfamiliar (I was until I bought it) the reticle zooms to the same magnification as the rest of the view.  It kind of comes at you when you increase power.  Regardless, the crosshairs are about 7/8" wide @ 100yrds.  Not too good for precise aiming.  However, I did not buy this gun for targets.  I bought it to kill coyotes.  After shooting it I think it will excell at that job.  I am very happy and thank all of you for the help.  Now I just have find the yote we call "White Face" on Friday morning!

Offline RWK

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2010, 04:53:55 AM »
If its a new gun, send it back do'nt mess with it. Then ? there workmen ship.

Offline skiforce

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2010, 05:25:38 AM »
RWK?  What are you talking about?  Did you read the last post prior to yours?  You couldn't have.  I am happy as a clam with this gun now.

Offline RWK

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2010, 09:29:52 AM »
Sorry only read the first PART!

Offline skiforce

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2010, 09:46:08 AM »
I do that sometimes and then go back and read the other posts weeks later.  Oops.  Happens to the best of us.

Offline dovehunter

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2010, 10:41:44 AM »
About 3½lbs, there's a link in the FAQs about it, they won't touch it if it's already under their threshold. Best time to have it done is when sending it in for an accessory barrel, but they'll do just a trigger job if you send the frame in, no need to send the barrel and stock.

Tim

I both wrote to them and spoke with one of their reps over the phone and they said they would not adjust the triggers.  I had figured to get a trigger job on mine when I sent it in for extra barrels.  The guy on the phone said to spray graphite down inside it and keep working the trigger.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2010, 11:29:04 AM »
That's because you're talking to Madison Customer Support who 75% of the time doesn't know what they're talking about!!  ::) Most of them don't have a clue what Ilion does.  :-\ Read the FAQs, you'll learn a lot.  ;)

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,196858.msg1099004793.html#msg1099004793

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2010, 01:28:45 PM »
I think it's fun to do my own triggers. I reworked almost all of my handies and I am learning how to do my other makes as well. 8)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired