Author Topic: Slug Gun Project  (Read 771 times)

Offline Daman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
  • Me and Papa's first double!!!
Slug Gun Project
« on: March 14, 2010, 03:57:04 AM »
Guys I know it ain't an H&R, but this is where I play so I am going to show y'all my progress. It will eventually be drilled and tapped and wear a Simmons Shotgun scope. Details:

Savage 949C 20 gauge single shot
I took before pictures here. Read my replies to this thread to see progress and details. (Pics are too large even after editing to attach more than 2)

Live simple. Hunt Hard. Love Life.

I thank God everyday for my loving wife and all the fond memories of hunting with my Papa from a child until now.

Please take time to take a kid hunting, it will be a life long memory and blessing for both of you!

Offline Daman

• A Real Regular
Re: Slug Gun Project
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 03:58:34 AM »
These are after sanding with 120 grit then 220 grit and then 400 grit.

I thank God everyday for my loving wife and all the fond memories of hunting with my Papa from a child until now.

Please take time to take a kid hunting, it will be a life long memory and blessing for both of you!

Offline Daman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 04:02:55 AM »
This is after 8 coats of Boiled Lindseed Oil mixed with Mineral Spirits to thin it a little. I rubbed the oil in with the car washing towels you can get at the dollar store. Between each coat I ran over the stock with OOO steel wool and then my finger with masking tape wrapped around it sticky side out. After the eighth coat, I took the frame to my smith to have some trigger and firing pin work done. When I got back I rubbed the stocks down with two coats of Tung Oil Light Gloss.

So after 10 coats of oil:

Offline Daman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 04:04:22 AM »
Quick before and after oiling pics of complete set:

Offline Big Blue

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 05:26:55 AM »
Very nice results! It takes a lot of time and effort, but your results sure show it. I saw your post on the rifle site and had to come see. Thanks for posting it!
Don

Offline Froghunter

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
  • Contributor
  • .38 Special and .357 S&W Magnum Stuff
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 06:23:44 AM »
Daman,

Very nice job on the wood stocks..........she is going to be a pretty slug shooter!

Froghunter
"Think Positive and Positive Things Will Happen"

"There's Only One Bore Size and That is .357....That's MHO"

Froghunter

Offline Daman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 08:47:14 AM »
Thanks guys. I appreciate your thoughts. And yes it took about 6 hours. I am going to pattern slugs with the bead sight and if I get decent results I will throw on the shotgun scope.

Daman

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (66)
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 09:54:55 AM »
LOOKS LIKE YOU GOT IT HAPPENIN !!!

Offline FLNT4EVR

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010, 10:49:16 AM »
Thats a nice looking stock. After seeing all this nice wood on inexpencive ( cheap )  guns, I'm becoming very tempted to start stripping them down.Thanks Damon for giveing me hours and hours of worke to do.
" Act civilized...even if you ain't " 

" I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people , and I require the same from them. "
                                  John Wayne, "The Shootist"

Offline Daman

• A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 10:53:48 AM »
Thats a nice looking stock. After seeing all this nice wood on inexpencive ( cheap )  guns, I'm becoming very tempted to start stripping them down.Thanks Damon for giveing me hours and hours of worke to do.

It is fun work and pretty cheap. I think I bought $12 worth of BLO, Mineral Spirits and Tung Oil (all together). I can do about 6 more guns with that. I recommend 4 or 5 sheets of 120 grit and 2 sheets of 220 grit per gun. All of the 400 grit you should need is about 1 sheet per 2 guns. I think I paid $0.69 per sheet for the 120 and 220 and $1.09 for the 400. The set of three rags was on $2.25 and they can be reused.

Daman