Author Topic: 9mm pocket pistol  (Read 1045 times)

Offline John R.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
9mm pocket pistol
« on: March 03, 2010, 02:09:06 AM »
I have a friend looking for a small 9mm pocket pistol. Anybody have suggestions? I have a Browning Hi-Power and a Sig 228, so I really can't help him with a pocket sized 9mm.

Offline amdak

Re: 9mm pocket pistol
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 03:35:12 AM »
Well i have a glock 26,but its alittle big to put in your pocket.I would check out the kahr pm9

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 05:28:31 AM »
At first I wasn’t sold (and am still not totally sold) on the Kel Teck P-9, but I have been packing it more lately.  I don’t like the trigger and fact that it has no safety, but it slips into a jeans pocket so neat no one knows it’s there. I don’t use a holster, I just drop it in the right pocket and away we go.

I have fired about 400 rounds through the gun now and seem to be getting use to the trigger pull.  One thing I can say for it, it handles my reloads very well with no feed or jam problems.  I did change the guide rod out, threw the plastic away and machined a new one out of a piece of stainless steel.

Offline smong2000

• Trade Count: (45)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 05:52:23 AM »
I have a Keltec PF9 and really like it.  'Bout as small as you can find in a 9mm and accurate (for what it is).  Yup trigger takes some practice but its under $300, reliable, and serves the purpose.

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 06:37:03 AM »
Another vote for the Kel-tec PF9!  I've had mine about a year now and love it.  It has become my 'always' gun.  Lightwt, thin, and inexpensive; what's not to like.  It's even quite accurate.  I wish the trigger travel was a little shorter, but then it would have a stiffer trigger, so I'm happy as it is.  Try it, you'll like it!  44 Man

You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline SD Handgunner

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 12:07:07 PM »
Another vote for the Kel Tec, but mine is the P-11. So far it has gobbled up everything I have put through it without a single hiccup.

Larry
T/C Handguns, one good shot for your moment of truth !

Offline canon6

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (119)
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 12:53:55 PM »
Mt wife has a PF9,  I have a P11.    they simply work.     Doug
a armed man is his own master

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 01:01:06 PM »
The Khar.
Makes two pocket sized 9mm that are really thin.
the one is about the size of my Sig P230 and the smaller one is about the size of a Walther PPK nad like the Walthers they are slim unlike the glocks that are small but really thick.

Offline Robert357

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 10:20:08 AM »
I pocket carry a Keltec PF-9 almost every day.  

I use to do IWB carry of one of the following, depending on what I was doing: a 45ACP M1911-A1, 9mm FEG P9R, Ruger 357 Security Six, Taurus 38 Special Ultra light, or Astra 44 Reg Mag Terminator snub nose.  But my clothes couldn't conceal them well.  Then a friend talked me into buying an FN Baby Browing in 25 ACP.  Well the .25 Auto cartridge is not much, but it slipped so easily in my pocket that on the days, I didn't IWB, the Baby Browing was in my pocket.  

Then I graduated up in caliber to a Keltec P3-AT in .380 Auto.  With that as a pocket pistol, I carried every day from when I put my pants on in the morning until I took them off next to bed at night.

After awhile, I then stepped up in caliber to a full 9mm and purchased the Keltec PF-9.  I looked at Kahr's, Walther PPS, and others prior to settling on the KelTec PF-9.  It took a while and some dedication to work some bugs out of my PF-9, but I am now very satisfied with it.  (brass shavings from cases in firing pin channel - required some buffing/smoothing of the firing pin, channel, and breach face.  You also got to use both grease & oil to lube after cleaning.)

While it doesn't have a safety, it also doesn't have a striker firing system, but its firing system is hammer based, so it is as safe as carrying a loaded double action revolver.

The trigger pull is much like some of the double action revolvers that I am use to carrying, so that isn't a problem for me.

It is really light in weight, which is a big deal for me when I wear dress pants, as a heavy firearm just won't pocket carry without suspenders and I only wear a belt.  (The Walther 9mm when loaded is just so much heavier)

It is really small in size and thickness, which leads to easy pocket concealed carry.  I will say that when I shop for new pants, pocket size is now something that I consider in purchasing pants.  Also I check out how my Keltec PF-9 (in a pocket holster) looks in the pants I purchase.  (No skin tight jeans or dress pants)

+1 on the Keltec PF-9 for pocket carry!