Author Topic: U.S. Model 1841 12-Pounder Mountain Howitzer  (Read 1157 times)

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
U.S. Model 1841 12-Pounder Mountain Howitzer
« on: March 04, 2010, 08:32:41 AM »
I know that there are some others here who also admire these howitzers, so I'm posting a link that I came across the other day. This website contains some useful info about the history of these weapons. BULL PUPS

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline subdjoe

Re: U.S. Model 1841 12-Pounder Mountain Howitzer
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 09:33:31 AM »
What is the purpose of the smaller diameter around the chamber of those?  Is it just to trim a bit of weight?
Your ob't & etc,
Joseph Lovell

Justice Robert H. Jackson - It is not the function of the government to keep the citizen from falling into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the government from falling into error.

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 10:34:48 AM »
decoration  ( smirk )   it's a damn tube
Scottish by birth and by heart.

Offline Artilleryman

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 12:01:39 PM »
What is the purpose of the smaller diameter around the chamber of those?  Is it just to trim a bit of weight?

Yes.  This gun has a powder chamber that is smaller than bore size, shoots shells and canister with smaller charges than 12 pdr guns.  This allows for a lighter weight barrel.
Norm Gibson, 1st SC Vol., ACWSA