Author Topic: Bore lapping follow up questions  (Read 918 times)

Offline jpuke

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Contributor
Bore lapping follow up questions
« on: April 07, 2010, 12:58:16 AM »
Veral,

I got the items for lapping my bore (as mentioned in previous topic) and I'm wondering a few things about the procedure. 

1.  How many rounds should I put down the bore before checking again with a push-through slug?  (I don't want to run out of these)
2.  Do you clean between each shot or string of shots with the lapping bullets?
3.  What's the best way to clean after shooting the lapping bullets?

Thanks,
Jeremy

Offline Veral

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (1)
    • Lead Bullet Technology
Re: Bore lapping follow up questions
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 09:18:13 PM »
  I'll number my answers to match your questions.

1.  If the bore is real bad, or jerky with the push through slugs, run 30 rounds before checking the bore again.  Guess from there on how many to run with the next lot, by how much better the PT goes through.

2.  Only clean before you run a fresh push through.  The compound left behind actually builds up gradually until about the third shot, which makes the lapping go faster with the bore so 'charged'.
  3.  Use any bore solvent to clean, or paint thinner if you like.  A bit of lube, such as gun oil after cleaning with a powerful solvent, like acetone or laquer thinner, will make the push through slide better.
Veral Smith

Offline jpuke

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Contributor
Re: Bore lapping follow up questions
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 02:48:42 AM »
Thanks Veral. 

I fired 12 rounds yesterday (two cylinders) of the lapping bullets through my Blackhawk yesterday because that's all I had loaded.  Came home and cleaned and found that the bore is still sticky near the muzzle and near the forcing cone.  My guess is the muzzle is because of the screw that holds on the ejector housing.  As per the instructions, I loaded rounds with barely enough power to get out of the gun, some landing 10 ft short of the 25 yard target at the range.  Luckily, I didn't get a bullet stuck until the 12th round was fired. 

Nice, easy procedure.  I look forward to the results.