Author Topic: Progressive Press --- LEE Pro 1000 in 45acp  (Read 947 times)

Offline 1911crazy

• Trade Count: (0)
Progressive Press --- LEE Pro 1000 in 45acp
« on: March 04, 2010, 02:15:35 PM »
I'm setting up a LEE Pro 1000 progressive press to run about 3k of 45acp.  I'm confused about reloading my spent 45acp brass or any other brass in a progressive reloading press without cleaning out the primer pocket.  I just wasn't taught not to clean out the carbon/residue out of the primer pocket before putting in the new primer.

I plan on decapping all my 45acp brass,  clean out the primer pocket and then polish the brass in the tumbler and then run it thru the progressive press.

What about trimming the cases too?  I think the progressive press isn't so progressive is it?  I would just use it to prime, load the powder and seat the bullet only once my brass is ok to reload.
Any thoughts on this???

Offline JustaShooter

• Trade Count: (23)
Re: Progressive Press --- LEE Pro 1000 in 45acp
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 02:41:51 PM »
With handgun cartridges like the .45 ACP I wouldn't worry about cleaning the primer pocket or trimming unless you are a competitive target shooter.  Tumble it, then run it through the press and be done. 

If it makes you feel better, set the press up with a universal decapping die in position 1, leave the others empty and run your brass  through, then tumble, clean primer pockets and put them back through with the 3-die set in place.

Just a Shooter
Christian, Husband, Father
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 02:00:16 AM »
I never clean primer pockest in pistol brass and rarely do it in rifle cases anymore. I did some testing many years ago in a few rifles and never saw where it did a thing.
blue lives matter

Offline gypsyman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 03:30:58 AM »
I use to clean every time primer pockets every time too. Don't think you need to. It does seem to build up in some brass, so, to keep your self happy, I would do it about every 3-4 loadings. gypsyman
We keep trying peace, it usually doesn't work!!Remember(12/7/41)(9/11/01) gypsyman

Offline John R.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 06:02:32 AM »
I load thousands of 45 acp's a year for IPSC shooting, and cleaning primer pockets and trimming brass is an absolute waste of time. Run em through the tumbler and start loading. :)

Offline abigdiesel

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 04:14:39 PM »
O.K., so you don't worry about crud accumulating in the primer pocket, but what about if there is any media left from tumbling???  I use corn cob which is a larger grain and have to go through all my brass to clean out any media that is stuck there.  Do you guys think the media being in the flash hole is enough to worry about knocking it out or should I leave it and save a lot of time??

Maybe I should have just started a new thread...just curious though...
"The American Revolution was a beginning, not a consummation."  ~Woodrow Wilson

NRA and VHA member

Offline dieselman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 04:30:27 PM »
I tumble with old primers in the just run them through the press and the deprim pin will clean out the flash hole. I keep track of brass as to how many times loaded and every two or three times I deprime tumble and trim if needed, 45acp brass doesn't need trimed very often for my punch hole in paper loads (light loads).

Offline Richard P

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 03:06:14 AM »
  I also dont clean primer pockets often.  As for the tumbler. I throw pennies and other small dirty coins in it and let them clean up as well as adding additional edges to work on cases.  As to the Lee press, I find you have to keep an eye on the primer chute and make sure the primers slip down it.  I wish Lee had formed the tray a little more triangular so there would be more weight on the primers in the chute.  Use a carbide sizer.  Richard

Offline Steve P

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 01:44:08 PM »
Save yourself some headaches.  Run your 45ACP brass thru the Pro 1000 to resize first.  If you use the collator and tube set up, you can really fly when sizing with a carbide die. 

Tumble your brass after sizing.  If it fired in your gun it is likely about ready to load.

FORGET about using the Pro 1000 to prime.  It is much faster, easier, and user friendly to get the Lee Ram Prime and do it in front of the boob tube while watching a ball game.  The Pro 1000 will miss primers, you will get out of sequence, you will have ball powder dribbling thru your shell plate, etc etc. 

So....recap....size with Pro 1000....Tumble clean.....Prime with Ram Prime....easy spot to check flash holes for corn cob media too!!

Now you have sized and primed brass.  Use the Lee Powder thru expanding die in station one of your press.  This will charge your brass.  Seat your bullet in station 2.  Use a Lee Factory Crimp die or Redding Crimp die in station three. 

When you get in practice, you should be able to charge, seat, and crimp about 500 rounds in an hour.  No delays from missed primers or powder fouling up the shell plate and auto index features.

If you cut out a rectangular piece of plastic from the lid of a cottage cheese, butter, or similar plastic container you can use double sided tape or velcro to attach it to your ejection ramp that leads to your loaded shell catcher.  Once you get up to speed, this handy little piece of plastic will keep your 45s from flying over the chute and onto the floor.

Tried for several years to get one of the Pro 1000s to work.  Learned a lot of tricks to get my ammo loaded.  Finally got rid of it and got a Dillon. 

Happy to share the experiences and hope this help.  And no, getting the Dillon did NOT resolve all of the issues of progressive reloading......

Steve :)
"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002