Author Topic: Need some help  (Read 465 times)

Offline jathames

• Trade Count: (0)
Need some help
« on: November 09, 2003, 03:09:59 PM »
I have a Steyr SBS Prohunter 7mm-08.. I am looking to put a good scope on it without breaking the bank. I have been looking at the following... 3.5x10x44 Zeiss Conquest, 2.5x10x50 Bushnell elite 4200, or the Nikon Monarch 3x9x50.. Any help would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks

Jeff

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Need some help
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2003, 04:50:41 PM »
Why in the world do you want such huge objectives? A normal 40MM or so objective is all you'll ever need on a quality scope for hunting during legal hunting hours in most of the US. I'd go with the Bushell Elite 4200 but not the 50mm objective one.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Dave in WV

Need some help
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2003, 03:55:38 AM »
To expand on what Graybeard posted, a smaller objective lens size will allow you to mount the scope lower. You want your scope mounted with a height that you have good cheek contact with the stock comb and when you bring the rifle up to shoot you are looking through the scope properly without haveing to adjust your head to get on the scope. If you buy good optics you'll be surprised how bright they are. Remember, after your scope gathers a certain amount of light your pupil will start to close up to compensate.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline bigdaddytacp

• Avid Poster
Re: Need some help
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2003, 06:39:44 AM »
Quote from: jathames
I have a Steyr SBS Prohunter 7mm-08.. I am looking to put a good scope on it without breaking the bank. I have been looking at the following... 3.5x10x44 Zeiss Conquest, 2.5x10x50 Bushnell elite 4200, or the Nikon Monarch 3x9x50.. Any help would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks

Jeff
........I agree with the others on the 50mm scopes ....pass on them unless you hunt at night or for varmint guns......all the scopes have good reputations but the only one I have had personal experience with is the Zeiss conquest......and only for 6mts or so ......I'm a Leupold fan and have had a couple dozen of them with few complaints and so far the Zeiss is working well and clear-solid performance........long term results will have to wait a few years.......I use/own a few Nikon professional cameras and lens and they are great......scopes? still prefer Leupold.......HTH..good luck and good shooting...with clear dependable glass in good solid mounts!!!!

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
Need some help
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2003, 11:51:22 AM »
I have Bushnell, Nikon and the Zeiss Conquest.  I would take the Zeiss hands down.  My Zeiss is on a Sako 7mm with a 24" barrel.  I am guessing your rifle is 22"?  If so I think a Conquest in the 3x9x40 would be a good way to go.  Do you need the 44 optic?  Probably not as the optics are excellent.  But if you want the 3.5 x 10 then you have no choice.  I have never had a problem going with the higher mounts, but then all my rifles have the raised cheek piece.  They would not work well with the standard/classic stock styles.

long
Life is short......eternity is long.