Author Topic: FN SLP Mk1  (Read 1262 times)

Offline simplicity

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
FN SLP Mk1
« on: May 06, 2010, 11:16:06 AM »
Picking up a FN SLP MK1 tomorrow anyone have any exsperience with one?

Offline simplicity

• A Real Regular
Re: FN SLP Mk1
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 02:12:20 PM »
Picked up the slp and got to the range with it. shooting remington 2 3/4 slugs was a breeze sighting in at 50 yards of hand all slugs into 4 inches (20 of them after 5 to sight in) Total of 25 slugs and 35 S&B 00 buck no malfunctions what so ever (using the light gas piston). It'll send them off as fast as you can pull the trigger if you can hold onto it. Trigger is quite crisp had a slight creep but only a .010 pull and return. All in all I'm very happy with the gun so far, I can't wait for my next three gun event.

Offline targshooter

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 12:57:04 PM »
Five months ago I purchased the SLP version. It came with the Improved Cylinder choke installed. It also had the lighter Gas Piston installed when it arrived. I left the IC choke in and tried both the heavy and light load gas pistons. I used 12 gage 2 3/4 inch Estate 00 buckshot and 2 3/4 1 Oz. Winchester Foster slug loads. The buckshot required the light load gas piston, the slugs worked with either the heavy or light load gas piston. Thus, the light load piston remains installed. Range results with about 100 slugs and 75 buckshot rounds exiting the barrel follow.
1] This inexpensive and basic buckshot load provides a very decent 50 feet pattern, with a centrally dense pattern putting 7 to 8 of nine pellets in an 8 inch circle. At 75 feet the pattern is still centrally dense, but only 5 to 6 pellets are in the 8 inch circle.
2] The slugs are where this baby shines. At 100 yards, offhand, 10 shots go inside the 8 inch circle, all the time, every time (well, after about 20 slugs I start to flinch and there is an occasional flyer).
I would certainly use this firearm with slugs for deer hunting if I needed to use a shotgun for such. I, however, purchased this firearm as a social tool. As such, its inability to match the buckshot patterns I can get from my hunting shotguns means very little, as I am not looking for a 40 yard capability with buckshot in the SLP, the 50 feet satisfying me. Beyond that distance I will use slugs. The gun is wonderfully balanced,  comes to shoulder quickly, provides a very decent and quickly obtained sight picture and is quite light.

Offline simplicity

• A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 03:25:04 AM »
LOL good I'm not the only one on this forum that has one.  The only problem I have encountered is with the light piston it won't cycle the cheap 100 round packs of winchester or federal. which really don't bother me much the only thing I use them for is shooting trap and can only load one at a time anyhow. It will ccycle with any 1 1/4 oz. load I've found so far. I haven't tryed the heavy piston yet to see what it won't cycle. Mostly all I'm gonna shoot through it is 2 3/4 shells for 3 gun competitions and HD. Here's a pic of it, course I can't use the red dot for 3 gun. I'm waiting on someone to make a side saddle for it that isn't velcro'd on. Also going to get the tri-rail front end from fn for it.