Author Topic: Old Iron Sides  (Read 670 times)

Offline dirtdobber1919a4

• Trade Count: (0)
Old Iron Sides
« on: March 07, 2010, 12:58:54 PM »
after failing to make a field gun that i can make noise with i have decided to try my hand a a naval gun.  i would like to build one off the USS Constitution. ive looked around and have not been able to find what kind of armament it had. does anyone know what it carried?

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Old Iron Sides
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 01:13:56 PM »
It had different guns at different periods.  The Naval Historical Detachment--Boston used to sell a CD-ROM with plans for virtually everything about the ship that were made in the 1920-1930's during the major rehab done then, but has suspended sales pending a repackaging of the data.  The ship has had only repros on board since 1900, but if you visited the ship, that is what you saw. 

If you would like a copy of the old CD (which runs fine on Windoze XP and supposedly also on Vista), send me a PM with your snail mail address.

This thread covers making of the barrel of a 24 pounder of the pattern supposedly used on the ConstitutionThis page is the finished barrel.

The following picture (except for the paint) is about where it sits today.

GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • "HALLOWED GROUND" by RRC
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 04:13:31 PM »
Now I am curious (more curious) and I'll have to check with the Schoharie Historical Society and maybe local chapter of the D.A.R.. It's a very history oriented area.

Could the government have sold originals to raise capital for restoration? :-\ 

one thing I noticed though, is what appears to be a seam running lengthwise like a casting mark.  It has been painted so many times that it might just be paint ???
Protect Freedom of Speech; to identify IDIOTS!

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 04:27:51 PM »
It would be interesting for a real cannon expert to give us an identification of the model of that gun.  It has less decoration than is typical for an 18th century gun, even a late one.  Also, it would be interesting to know the caliber since it seems a little small, although that is hard to tell from a picture like that with no other objects that can be used for size comparison.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • "HALLOWED GROUND" by RRC
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 01:33:15 AM »
As they say on eBay, "I'm on expert but" as close as I could get to measuring the trunion, it is 6.5" and "IF" the trunion diameter matches the bore diameter, then this chart from, "British Artillery Ammunition 1780" by Adrian B. Caruana, states:

Nature of iron gun:    32 pdr   caliber 6.410    shot 6.105   windage 0.305

Does this help?
Protect Freedom of Speech; to identify IDIOTS!

Offline navygunner

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 09:56:20 AM »
From the Dictionary of American Fighting Ships: Fr: dp. 2,200; lbp. 175'; b. 43'6"; dph. 14'3"; s. 13 k.; cpl. 450; a. 30 24-pdr., 16 18 pd.car., 10 12-pdr.)

NG

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 12:09:14 PM »
Any idea when that inventory was taken?

Seems odd to have 18 pounder car(ronades) with 24 pounder long guns.  The CD-ROM showed 32 pounder carronades and 18 pounder bow chasers.
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline navygunner

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 03:26:03 PM »
I really couldn't say. I have found the DANFS in error before. I did a cursory check of the ORN's and could not find mention of 32 pounders being aboard but seeing as she was used as the acadamy training ship I really don't think they would have placed the 32's aboard her while other active vessels went without.

NG

Offline navygunner

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 03:41:16 PM »
See what I get for thinking? :-[ According to Warships of the Civil War Navy by Paul H. Silverstone the frigate Constitution had 44 guns. In Sept of 1861, 6 32 pounder/42. 10 32-pounder/33

regards,
NG :)

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2010, 04:52:49 PM »
Maybe that was the New Constitution?
GG
--Winston Churchill

Offline navygunner

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 03:16:13 AM »
If you meant the "New Ironsides" it's not the same ship. The New Ironsides was an ironclad.
NG

Offline GGaskill

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 09:07:35 AM »
Maybe that is what I mean.  It shows up in several rosters of ships doing blockade duty during the Civil War with no other details.
GG
--Winston Churchill