Author Topic: Build A Replica Civil War Cannon  (Read 1127 times)

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Build A Replica Civil War Cannon
« on: March 25, 2010, 07:46:22 PM »
I came across this site the other day while surfing, and I thought I'd post it here for anyone that's interested. The miniature M1857 Napoleon barrel looks pretty good, and the hardware appears decent, but as far as the price goes, (especially considering the fact that you would have to provide for, and build all the wood pieces of the model) well I'll just leave that up to you all to make a judgement call on that. The barrel is 14-inchs long, and I'm assuming (this information is not provided in the ad, nor is the caliber) that its bored all the way, but needs the vent drilled. Personally, I'd check with sponsors about making the barrel (only larger) and hardware for me, before I ever considered buying a kit like this. The kit with a bright brass barrel costs $935.00 including shipping, and with a chemical antique patina finish applied on the barrel it costs $1035.00. Miniature CW Napoleon

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
Re: Build A Replica Civil War Cannon
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 03:20:26 AM »
its a very nice set of hardwares , but also very expensive
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline Max Caliber

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 03:45:59 AM »
That is one of the best looking parts kits I have seen. The model has a number 1 pattern stock, should be a number 2. The wheels look a little heavy even for number 2 wheels but are nice. Some of the bolts should be replaced by ones with proper heads. Also, there are a few parts missing from the picture and some of the parts should be tuned a bit to look right. A little pricey since one must make the wheels and other wood parts.
Max

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 06:42:15 AM »
I have added them to the link list.

Interesting they do a patina barrel and raw wood.  That one should at least have a painted carriage.

Offline thelionspaw

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • "HALLOWED GROUND" by RRC
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 07:04:28 AM »
"Lord love a duck"!  Everything gets painted :-\  There were times when I wouldn't pay that for a car.
Protect Freedom of Speech; to identify IDIOTS!

Offline grymster

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 08:32:12 AM »
Is that a steel axle I see in the third kit photo? Seems in the photos of the assembled cannon it looks like it was covered in wood. Was that something done back in the day?
grym

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 09:41:43 AM »
Grymster,
That is how the axles on the originals were made; with a wood body over an iron axle.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline grymster

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 10:03:40 AM »
That is how the axles on the originals were made; with a wood body over an iron axle.
Hmmm..... didn't know that. I've designed sort of a naval/utility carriage for the little barrel I ordered, but my axle is wood and I had planned on pressing steel pins in for the spindles. Hokey maybe, but I'll go more original later... after I make some fire and smoke. ;D
grym

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 10:35:06 AM »
Grymster,
I was talking specifically about the axles on U.S. field carriages in the second half of the 1800's.