Author Topic: How Do You CC Your Pistol  (Read 966 times)

Offline zackyholdem

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
How Do You CC Your Pistol
« on: March 04, 2010, 12:46:36 PM »
Hey All, I'm new to carry and got a glock 19 for concealed carry and i was wondering how you guys carry your weapons.

i was thinking iwb for summer and shoulder holster for winter. I'm debating on going for maximum concealibility or maximum weapon security.

How to you guys carry? Does anyone use outside belt holsters for concealed carry?

Thanks Zack
When freedom shivers in the cold shadow of true peril, Its always the patriots who first hear the call. - Charlton Heston

Handi's -30-06, 223 Ultra, 7mm-08, 44 mag, 45-70, 17hmr, Tracker II 12ga, Pardner 10ga (2)12ga's and .410

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (77)
Re: How Do You CC Your Pistol
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 12:57:15 PM »
Varies for me depending on where I might be going and then what I'm carrying.
Generally speaking I go inside the waist. Either right on the side or tucked in the back.
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline LEO

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 03:16:00 PM »
I carry either a Glock 22 or 27.  I carry the majority of the time strong side waist level.  I use either a belt scabbard type holster, an IWB, or a "camera pouch" type holster.  I occasionally carry using an ankle holster usually during "dressier occassions" where I may want/need to remove my coat.  I rarely use a shoulder holster for CC.  The main advantage I can see for them for CC is if you live somewhere that is really cold and you often wear a heavy zipped coat, it might be easier to draw from than a belt holster under the coat but then the coat pocket would be easier than either one, probably.  I prefer to stay strong side waist level as much as possible due to keeping the gun in one location thus better muscle memory for the draw stroke.  The fewer things you have to thing about when things are going bad the better off you are.  What ever type you choose practice your draw stroke with all types of concealment articles you might wear until the action is ingrained in your muscle memory. 

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 09:19:26 PM »
I just stick it in the pants at three o'clock and tilt it.
Works for any size and it conceals better.
Use a good strap nad not a little ol strechy thing.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline GH1

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 12:28:47 AM »
I use a strong side paddle holster, the wife uses a pocket holster. I have a Bersa .380 & she has a Kel-Tec .380.  I believe your Glock is considerably larger than both of those pistols.
GH1 :)
I owe my life to an organ donor

Offline diggdug

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 05:29:19 AM »
I only use a strong side IWB or OWB holster when carrying my Glock. Its how I train and its what works best!
Most people say I'm an idiot!

Offline John R.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 05:56:13 AM »
I carry IWB in a Crossbreed Supertuck (it makes the gun disappear). I like a Galco Miami Classic for a shoulder rig.

Offline Brett

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 04:16:56 AM »
When I carry my .38 J-frame I use a FIST owb mini pancake holster under an untucked polo shirt or under a suit jacket.   When I carry my Kel-Tec P-11 I carry IWB using Kel-Tec's belt clip that is attached to my gun.
Life memberships:  <><, NRA, BASS, NAFC

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 04:45:19 AM »
Kel-Tek .32 and Ruger LCP - in a pocket, or in my left leg tall athletic sock, on the inside.  Glock 26 and 1911 always in a holster, usually a strong side paddle.  Inside the waist band style also works well, but not as comfortable for me since I started getting fat.  When I carried a S&W L frame as a duty gun, I used to carry it off duty in a clam shell (elastic closing) leather upside down holster.  Worked great.  I still use shoulder holsters in the winter, especially if wearing a short jacket that might allow a belt holster to show.  The Kydex paddle holsters work well, and I often use one to carry a 1911.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline gwhilikerz

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 08:32:41 AM »
Hip-Grip for all my cc revolvers. That is comfortable and pretty danged quick. Under an untucked T it disappears. And I save a bundle by not trying out every holster that comes along :)

Offline rybo

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 02:44:28 PM »
IWB or pocket holster 99% of the time.
Occasionally when dress allows I will go hip holster.
Insert funny/sarcastic/philosophical/witty saying here.

Offline Mike in Virginia

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 03:26:13 PM »
My 1911, I simply tuck in my britches without a holster.  But my Charter .44 rides in a belt-slide holster.  I rigged a thumb strap for the hammer to keep the gun secure, sort of like the thongs that keeps cowboy guns in place.  I used to carry a Sig 229, but the weight and bulk was just too much.  I had a Ruger LCP in a pocket holster, but even with +P, a .380 is little better than sharp stick.  I've also carried Ruger Blackhawks in a fast-draw rig of my own design, and even though nothing is faster to draw and shoot than a single-action, follow up shots are slow, and reloading impossible.  I mean to say I've been around the block numerous times with different rigs, but I always come back to a Kimber with no holster, or the .44 in a holster.     

Offline jimster

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2010, 02:31:25 PM »
I have a good leather holster I like that is used mostly IWB, but can be converted to OWB for my 1911, but more and more I am not using a holster at all, just stick it in my jeans, strong side.  Gotta have a good belt with or without a holster.  For me strong side is important, it's the fastest and the most natural. Sometime back after reading a few posts of not using a holster, I started trying that out, I like it a lot.  Less weight and less bulk, works for me.
And to think I have a box full of holsters from experimenting all those years, with the money I spent on all those holsters I could have bought another gun or two.  Who knew?

Offline Robert357

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2010, 03:59:03 PM »
95+% of the time KelTec PF-9 in a pocket DeSantis holder  (Pocket carry is just so easy and great!)

The rest of the time it will (depending on the situation) be:

• Astra 44 Rem mag Terminator SS snub nose revolver IWB holster (usually hiking in the deep woods)
  • Ruger Security Six 357 Mag Revolver IWB holster (urban area with a speed loader in a pocket)
  • Taurus Ultra Light 38 Special Revolver IWB holster (a nice small package when I am tired of the PF-9 or need to clean it)
  • FEG 9mm Browning HP Clone IWB holster (the holster has a second mag in it for almost unlimited shooting - sometimes you just have to honor JM Browning)
  • Rock Island M1911-A1 clone in 45 ACP IWB holster (with a separate belt holster, which looks like a cell phone holder, for two spare McCormick 45 ACP mags, when I go to an urban central city - sometimes you just have to honor JM Browning)

Another key to IWB carry is that I have two really great thick heavy leather belts. One was purchased in Nicacragua as a small leather shop and the other I made from leather strapping that I purchased at a saddle shop.  A great belt is as or more critical than the holster to a good IWB carry!

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2010, 07:39:44 PM »
I have ordered a three inch strap from El Paso Saddlery and their yaqui slide holster. it will be an extreme high ride rig--fully tooled.
My concession too a holster--but won't be used much.
Just have always wanted tis old style lawman rig.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline Robert357

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2010, 04:22:16 AM »
I have ordered a three inch strap from El Paso Saddlery and their yaqui slide holster. it will be an extreme high ride rig--fully tooled.
My concession too a holster--but won't be used much.
Just have always wanted tis old style lawman rig.
Blessings

It is so nice to be at a point in one's life where one can appreciate little indulgences based on "...have always wanted..." 

I like your style!