Author Topic: 350 Ultra-Mag project/ need input  (Read 620 times)

Offline Robert

• Trade Count: (0)
350 Ultra-Mag project/ need input
« on: November 15, 2004, 06:57:51 AM »
Ok...I have this really nice 300 Ultra-Mag, but it is not what I want. Remington came out with the 300....then they made a 7mm, a 338 and a 375 Ultra-Mag....but I want a 350. Has anyone heard of any such custom chambering? I want one. The 7mm, 300 and 375 are all long action, but the 338 is a slightly shorter case, why?, I don't know. But where-as I think the shorter 338 case is enough for my needs...I already have the long action so might as well take advantage of the larger case capacity. I do not have a clue why they missed .358 caliber...I guess it is due to the myth of better bullet selection in the 338. Let's build a rifle.
....make it count

Offline Reed1911

• GBO Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (18)
    • www.reedsammo.com
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2004, 01:45:15 PM »
Sounds like a perfectly reasonable idea. I don't see any problems except bullet selection is slim, and you might end up finding that really only the custom house bullets will work as you expect. Of course since this is not exactly a gun you are going to take out every weekend and shoot a 100 rounds from, the cost difference is slight enough not to be concerned with. I'd think all you need to do is come up with the diminsions you want, have a reamer built and a set of dies, buy a 35cal barrel and go to town.,
Ron Reed
Reed's Ammunition & Research
info@reedsammo.com
www.reedsammo.com

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2004, 03:36:49 PM »
Well, the 358 STA is quite a hammer so the 350 Ultramag should be even more of the same! Bullets are going to be a consideration if you're hunting with it. Not that many 35 cal bullets available that will stand up to 3200+ fps impacts. Reamers won't be aproblem, just use a 300 RUM one with a replacable pilot that fits the bore, then cut the neck and throat in a seperate operation. Dies shouldn't be too tough either if you do it this way; just open up a set of 300 RUM dies to work. Hang on tight!
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."