Author Topic: 7.62x39 cheap bullets for reloading  (Read 2220 times)

Offline original

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
7.62x39 cheap bullets for reloading
« on: March 15, 2010, 09:40:55 AM »
i know its is cheap to shoot this round but i just wanted to load some but cant seem to find bullets to make the loading cheap.  does anyone know of a source to purchase cheap bullets for the 7.62?   thanks

Offline Dezynco

• Trade Count: (38)
  • A Real Regular
Re: 7.62x39 cheap bullets for reloading
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 02:30:51 PM »
Try cast lead.  I have a lot of wheel weight lead, practically free.  30 caliber gas checks are about 3.5 cents apiece.

You might also try poking around on Gunbroker.com for some salvaged bullets.  I saw some 145 grain (.308 diameter) bullets.  $88.00/500 bullets.  That's pretty cheap.  If your shooting an SKS or and AK47, you'll probably never notice any real loss in accuracy by shooting the smaller diameter bullets.  The accuracy might even be improved!

I shoot the 7.62x39 in a custom Contender pistol barrel.  It's an extremely accurate little cartridge when it's treated properly.  WAY underrated!  It really shines in a well built .308 bore custom barrel.

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 02:34:53 PM »
What are you loading for and how much accuracy do you want?

You can buy cheaper bullets for a .308 and use them. Some rifles shoot worse some better some no diffrence, Kinda just depends on what you are wanting to do. Some FMJs for the 30 carbine work well for just plinkers. I like to shoot my own cast out of my CZ.
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 03:50:38 PM »
thanks for starting this thread. I have been seeing some .311 or .310 plated bullets on Gun Broker for reasonable prices. Anybody tried them?  I have had mixed results with plated pistol bullets pushed too hard so hesitated on the 7.62 bullets. Have been tempted tho at the price asked.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline mrbigtexan

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 03:59:17 PM »
there is a guy on gunbroker that sells hornady and speer bullets really cheap but you have to get 500 at a time. he has .310-.311 bullets on there regularly.

Offline mrbigtexan

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 03:59:53 PM »
there is a guy on gunbroker that sells hornady and speer bullets really cheap but you have to get 500 at a time. he has .310-.311 bullets on there regularly.

Offline dieselman

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 04:23:14 PM »
.32 cal. pistol bullets are in the .310 to .314 dia range, slug your barrel and find out what size your bore is and go from there. 

Offline Default

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 11:18:37 AM »
If this 7.62 is an SKS or AK variant dont use lead ... If you want cheap plinking then look into Berry's 110gr .312 dia. plated bullet .. I dont have time at this moment to check what my load with them is .. But was able to keep it 100+ fps faster then their recommended 1700 or was 1800 fps recommendation speed for said projectile ... I'll log on later after my range session and find that load data , BTW this load wasnt able to cycle the heavy bolt on my 16" bbl SKS (paratrooper model) but flew through a 20 round mag no issues in the AK and I might add that they did very well on the accuracy end of things and I suspect wouldnt be hard on the ears enough to shoot it without protection on. These were in Win. factory 7.62x39 primed brass , And no plating seperation was noted .. they held up fine.

And if this is a bolt or single shot then this would work well for cheap plinking and bunny etc. load.

As for the 30 cal. bullets in .308 i have had great success with them between my SKS and AK .. Using winchester brass and primers using the hornady 155gr A-max and the 110 V-max
 The SKS absolutely loves the 150gr winchester SP flat base ( Super X bullet ? ) , Which I guess isnt too surprising since these rifles have a crazy fast twist rate ( 1 in 7.5 ) compared to their factory 122-125 gr bullets.. And the bullets listed are all .308 dia. ... Sadly I have better accuracy from the .308s in my two weapons then i have with the Speer and Hornady offerings in .311-.312 go figure.

If you could grab up a batch of 147 fmjbt for a good price , I would say give um a go .. Worst case is you cant get them to shot well in any combination and sell them off , not like you have to bend anyones arm on good .308 bullets to get rid of them :)

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free." ~Ronald Reagan

THE QUICKEST WAY TO ENSLAVE A PEOPLE IS TO DISARM THEM ~ George Mason

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 10:48:05 PM »
Thanks Default, I might pick up some plated bullets. I shoot a Chinese SKS but not much. My boys are getting bigger and might like it. Didn't know about the fast twist. Mostly shoot the cheapest surplus ammo I can find cause I hate chasing cases. But I'm well supplied with AA1680 right now and ammo costs have gone way up.

NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 01:26:09 AM »
why not shoot cast? Ive done it for years in 762x39s and have had no problem. Use a hard alloy size properly use a good lube and use at least a 150 grain bullet and they work just fine. Dont know where to buy them though. I would recomend you buy a cheap casting outfit and make them yourself.
blue lives matter

Offline Dezynco

• Trade Count: (38)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 03:43:37 AM »
I wouldn't hesitate to shoot cast lead bullets with gas checks in an SKS or an AK.  I think that both are relatively easy to take apart and clean aren't they?

I figure that you could load up to 1800-2000 fps and that should cycle the action.  Even if it didn't, you could still get a lot of shooting in for cheap.  Just take the operating rod out and cycle it by hand.

I read something once (I don't remember the source) about some guy who deliberatly fired cast bullets through an Ruger Mini30's to see if he could get it to "foul" as we've all been warned.  I think after 5,000 rounds with no noticeable degradation in performance, he cleaned it!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 05:38:39 AM »
thats about the truth. guys that dont know will tell you you cant shoot cast in an ar but that to is bs. lots of guys pass this vast knowlege off as fact but truth be known theyve never tried and are just passing on urban legands theyve picked up on the internet. Take the ammo mostly shot worldwide in an ak. Wolf! its about as dirty as any cast bullet load you can work up and leaves larquer residue that cast doesnt and people dont hesitate to shoot it in there aks. Hell it was made for the aks. Like you said there sure no problem to clean and if i had to bet id bet your round count using cast would be in the thousands before cleaning is needed
blue lives matter

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 05:50:01 AM »
I haven't done it often,Just because I haven't cast enuff bullets for it yet, But my Russian SKS shoots cast just fine. I really should try and work up a good load for it thou cuase it very fun to shoot. 8)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline Default

• Classified -- Banned
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2010, 11:48:16 AM »
Lloyd,
  I see your logic in using cast , I use a number of cast projectiles in several weapons .. In fact I got my chance to touch off some long awaited Bear Tooth Bullets .432 330gr LFNGCDCG in my 444 marlin..  And you all are correct , I havent used cast of any type in my gas operated delayed blow back style weapons ( due to cautionary tales of shaved particles in the gas port) , And I can and do see the economic end of casting ones own for their SKS and AK ... Also if I was going to try Cast/Gas checked in a gas operated platform the AK/SKS would be the guinea pigs ... Thou there are a number of other platforms that I could see cast becoming more pain then the savings can warrant ..

Berrys for plinking arent to bad on the pocket and I didnt have to allocate funds to casting equipment ( it also helped that I got my 1000 cnt box at 2003 prices lol )

The load I mentioned yesterday with the 110gr Berry's is 15.8 of IMR 4227 in Winchester new brass factory primed with a win. LRP and a OAL of 1.960 .. I have rambled off a considerable amount of these, they are fun and quieter then normal factory fodder and have even less recoil then the low recoiling AK/SKS are already known for.

As for all around options , As always its personal preffrence  .. And I appreciate the enlightenment of using cast in the AK/SKS platform , Said it a million times and here is 1 million and 1 " You learn something new every day "  ;D

Safe shooting guys,

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it on to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States when men were free." ~Ronald Reagan

THE QUICKEST WAY TO ENSLAVE A PEOPLE IS TO DISARM THEM ~ George Mason