Author Topic: Lee Primer  (Read 1013 times)

Offline Diesel40

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Lee Primer
« on: March 12, 2010, 08:25:10 AM »
I was going to get a lee primer.  I heard they are good tools, but i am not sure which one is the one recommended.  The safety prime or the auto prime.  Thanks

Offline JW307

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: Lee Primer
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 08:47:22 AM »
Both are good tools.  The Auto Prime is a hand held tool and the Safety Prime mounts on a press.  Lee says not to use the Auto Prime with softer primers like Remington and Federal, but the Safety Prime can be used with all primers.  That being said I know lots of guys that use the Auto Prime with whatever primer they want.  The Auto Prime is probably the tool that was being recommended.

Offline JoeG52

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 09:01:09 AM »
I have the Autoprime and have loaded may thousands of Federal primers with it without any problems.

Offline rugerfan.64

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 09:12:06 AM »
I have two of the auto prime's,only problem I've ever had is when I seat primers for my wifes pistol I have to go back and make sure theyre seated deep enough with the press. Sometimes I get misfires but its a striker fired pistol. My P95 never fails to fire em.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 09:45:11 AM »
I have had 2 break , Why 2 needed one while waiting for parts i had to pay for . Got a RCBS and never have had a problem . Just my 2 cents
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 12:03:52 PM »
I have 2 as well....one is set up for Large primers and the other for small.  It's a great tool to have.
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 12:08:12 PM »
i  like the auto prime
so  i got  another...just incase...they are  so  cheap

you  will  need a special  shel holder  tho

just  get the  kit  with  i think  12 of them shell  holders
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline Javelina

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 01:41:13 PM »
I've used a Lee Auto-Prime for over 30 years with Federal, Winchester and Remington primers.  It seats them all for me with no problem in around 20 different calibers.  I bought a spare since they are so cheap about two years after I bought the first one. . .but it's still brand new in the box. . .I had forgotten I even bought it and I ran across it the other day.  Maybe it's a collector's item now. . .or not?   ;D

Safe and good shooting to you.

Javelina
If I had a dollar for every time I wanted another Contender or Encore, I'd have about $855,627,452,918

Offline cybin

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 06:48:42 PM »
I too have used the auto prime for about 30 years--works great--only problem I have with it is seating the CCI 200 primers in .38 special brass--problem is with the primers I believe--if I use Remington primers with remington brass  almost no problems--if I use Winchester primers--no problems no matter what brass I use.

I only put 10 to 20 primers in it at a time--just to be safe as Richard Lee in his book "Modern Reloading"  really gets emotional about only using CCI and Winchester primers in the auto prime--due to some real bad accidents using Federal primers--and I know that Federal primers (from what I have read) are made from thinner material and are more sensitive--one of the reasons bench rest shooters use them (again--only from reading--no personal experience)

But winchester small pistol primers used in the auto prime tool are great.  Cabela's has them (seen them tonight) for about $15.00--they had 3 on the shelf.  I believe that I paid $9.00 or $10.00 30 years ago.

cybin

Offline Dand

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 10:04:21 PM »
I use 2 of the autoprimes, 1 for large and 1 for small. I wore one out and you can get repair parts from Lee. Now I try to keep some of the bearing surfaces greased a little so they don't wear fast. Win and CCI primers are the most available here so no issues for me. I have used a few Rems and Feds with no problem. I think too part of the concern is the nature of the priming compounds. Seems I read somewhere about a guy who tested various brands and was able to detonate some Federals and the whole tray went off while one of the recommended brands either wouldn't detonate or didn't set off the whole tray. Don't know where that article is these days.
NRA Life

liberal Justice Hugo Black said, and I quote: "There are 'absolutes' in our Bill of Rights, and they were put there on purpose by men who knew what words meant and meant their prohibitions to be 'absolutes.'" End quote. From a recent article by Wayne LaPierre NRA

Offline Freezer

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2010, 02:55:35 AM »
    I have both and prefer the auto prime.  It's hand held so I can sit in my chair and watch TV while I work.  The safety prime is more time comsuming but easy on the hands and is very consistant.  I've loaded tens thousands of rounds with the auto prime and at least a thousand with the safety prime, never had a problem with either.

Offline Redhawk1

• Life time NRA Supporter.
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (78)
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2010, 03:41:40 AM »
I have 2 of the autoprimes, one for small and one for large primers.
If  you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you,
Jesus Christ and the American G. I.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom

Endowment Life Member of the NRA
Life Member NA

Offline texagun

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2010, 03:55:02 AM »
I have tried using the Lee Safety Prime and wind up with primers all over the floor.  I have tried readjusting it several times and it is lined up perfectly with the primer bar per the instructions.  I guess I just don't have the knack using it.  I would not recommend the Safety Prime.  I just keep my left hand clean from oil and contaminants and feed the primer arm by hand on my turret press.

Offline BigJakeJ1s

• Avid Poster
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2010, 02:03:11 PM »
I started with a Lee autoprime, and it worked fine, except I like to prime batches of 200-400 cases at a time. The autoprime uses only your thumb to actuate it, and my thumb would go numb before I was done.

I switched to RCBS univeral hand primer with the square tray. It uses the whole hand, and it much easier to load and use with its large, removable square tray. It isn't a cake walk to switch primer sizes with, so I kept the autoprime around setup for small primers (I use much less of those anyway). Then my wife bought me a second universal.

Andy

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (158)
  • Shooting, Hunting, the Outdoors & ATVs
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2010, 02:10:02 PM »
I wore out two auto primes... Currently use both a RCBS RAM prime and a RCBS APS priming system. BOTH head and shoulders above the Lee junk...

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline wncchester

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2010, 03:38:01 AM »
So, okay, some of us use Lee's priming tools for 20-30 years with no problems, while others quickly "break/wear them out" and suggest tools that cost 4 to 8 times as much.   Now, I can't help but wonder, what is the first group doing that allows them to use Lee's for so long with no troubles while the other group...., aw, forget it!    Pay whatever it takes to make you feel good.    ;D
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2010, 06:35:37 AM »
I used my first Auto Prime for over 30 years , it got to the point that it had worn down the the rod on the small primer that it would no longer seat the primers fully , the second one is still going strong after well over 50,000 primers .

CW and myself do tend to disagree on most Lee products , but for a grand total of  $25 invested , I'll keep using the Lee .  ;D  ;)

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline wncchester

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2010, 08:43:44 AM »
Stimp, you make my point beautifully.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2010, 09:04:15 AM »
I used my first Auto Prime for over 30 years , it got to the point that it had worn down the the rod on the small primer that it would no longer seat the primers fully , the second one is still going strong after well over 50,000 primers .

CW and myself do tend to disagree on most Lee products , but for a grand total of  $25 invested , I'll keep using the Lee .  ;D  ;)

stimpy

I have gone thru two of them, both broke in the same place. One after many thousands of priming's. The second didn't see nearly half that. But in fairness, I didn't do anything to it sans use it. Lube/grease isn't exactly "friendly" to primers and isn't required on any other priming tool I have ever used. Both broke when one end of the "dog bone" snapped off. The RCBS ram prime is near the same cost, doesn't require special holders and works perfectly... for better than 15 years now.
I don't recommend the APS unless you get it cheap. it works perfectly and is very nice, but IMHO, not worth the cost. I got it from a RCBS sales guy for cheap.

CW
"Pay heed to the man who carries a single shot rifle, he likely knows how to use it."

NRA LIFE Member 
Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

Offline Savage

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2010, 12:56:39 PM »
I have two of the Lee's and one RCBS. All work equally well.   I still use the first Lee Auto Prime I bought back in the late 70s if memory serves. Have to admit I don't hand prime much anymore as I load on progressives or a turret press. They are still handy for small lots of less used ammo. I would recommend them to anyone who doesn't prime at the press.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline cybin

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Contributor
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2010, 04:50:28 PM »

stimpy

I have gone thru two of them, both broke in the same place. One after many thousands of priming's. The second didn't see nearly half that. But in fairness, I didn't do anything to it sans use it. Lube/grease isn't exactly "friendly" to primers and isn't required on any other priming tool I have ever used. Both broke when one end of the "dog bone" snapped off. The RCBS ram prime is near the same cost, doesn't require special holders and works perfectly... for better than 15 years now.
I don't recommend the APS unless you get it cheap. it works perfectly and is very nice, but IMHO, not worth the cost. I got it from a RCBS sales guy for cheap.

CW

The dog bone is made of a zinc--pot metal--and in my opinion is the weakest link in the auto prime tool---but the last time I checked--they only cost less than a dollar to replace. Also I have found that if you use CCI primers in Federal cases--they are extremely hard to press in---use Winchester primers all problems go away--winchester primers work in all makes of brass---now I'm talking .38 special and .357 here.

cybin

Offline cwlongshot

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2010, 05:07:24 PM »
I understand you point, but... That only further strengthens my point.. If you buy quality products and they seat any primer you like is any case...

CW

NRA LIFE Member 

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2010, 11:34:02 AM »
CW

I will admit that the last Auto Prime that I got did not have the fit or finish of the first one , it feels more " toy like " yet the first one which feels more like a tool .

And from looking over some of the other Lee products , their overall apperance does lend itself to more of a toy feel too , which may explain why my last 2 new presses were Redding .  ;)

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped