Author Topic: Bought a new-to-me Pardner 12 gauge  (Read 824 times)

Offline Stan in SC

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
Bought a new-to-me Pardner 12 gauge
« on: March 12, 2010, 01:13:01 PM »
I ran across a 12 gauge Pardner in my favorite gun store today and bought it.It is EXACTLY how I would order a custom made one.I am very happy with it.It is a 2002 manufacture 12 gauge with wood camo stock,24 inch barrel,3-1/2" chamber and full choke.I noticed that it seemed butt stock heavy so I took off the recoil pad and there is a factory installed round piece of iron about 8 inches long secured by a screw.This is evidently a counter weight and it isn't balanced worth a darn with it removed so I put it back in.This is my new turkey gun.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70..it's almost a religion.

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
Re: Bought a new-to-me Pardner 12 gauge
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 01:39:35 PM »
I had a Pardner Turkey similar to yours, you will be very happy with it as long as you don't mind the recoil. I had to step down to a 20 due to a bad shoulder but the 12 I had threw a very nice pattern. I killed a nice tom with the 12 using a 3" Remington Nitro #5 shot at 20 yards, turned him into a jellyhead.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 03:30:09 PM »
If you start shootin' heavy loads out of it you'll be wantin' to put the weight back in. ;)

Spanky

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 04:26:21 AM »
Congratulations Stan, I have one like that. I suggest you shoot 2 3/4" shells out of it, unless you NEED the 3" or 3 1/2" ammo for someting special. If it's that special it would probably only take one shell, and if it's that special you won't feel it or won't mind it if you do....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 05:29:41 PM »
if it's that special you won't feel it

Yes he will. :D :D :o

Spanky

Offline demented

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 06:47:56 PM »
 FEEL it for DAYS!  I've fired a lot of hard kickin' big bore rifles, none jolt me more than my Turkey model NE.  2 oz of shot ain't nuthin' to sneeze at from something this light weight!

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 03:27:02 AM »
OK then, we will go on to the next part of the sentence,

"or won't mind it if you do."

I have the same barrel but have never felt the need to shoot 3 1/2" :o shells....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline shaner

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (66)
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 03:33:04 AM »
3 1/2  ive never used them either but they have to hurt in that gun, i tried them once  from a friends mossberg 835 ouch it  slammed ya , good luck ,

Offline Stan in SC

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010, 04:37:29 AM »
Andy,thanks for the good comments.
Sparky,I DID put the butt stock weight back since,as I said,it didn't balance good without it.
All of you who talk about 3" and 3-1/2" shells having MUCHO MUCHO recoil are perfectly correct.My brother in law has a Mossberg 835 and I tried to help him zero it with 3-1/2" slugs.WOW!
I do like the ability to shoot anything 12 gauge if I just had to.This was just too neat a shotgun to not purchase since it had full choke and a shorter barrel than my Marlin model 200.I just like hunting with a single barrel.

Stan in SC

Offline chrmayo

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 05:18:46 PM »
does this gun have the fixed full choke or the screw in chokes?

Offline demented

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010, 09:05:06 PM »
That mine kicks fool out of me has no bearing on its status as a keeper.  Mines rarely fired but is within reach 99% of the time I'm out and about, just too handy as an all purpose tool not to be.  Within reason, mine will handle most anything that either I walk up on or walks up on me...or crawls, flies or swims

Offline kansasj

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2010, 04:46:15 AM »
Stan in SC

I think you will put the weight back in soon.  I shoot coyote loads out of the same gun and believe me it is BRUTLE!!  I installed a mercury suppressor and then filled the balance with #8 shot and it makes it "tolerable".  Great gun but they kick like a mule with tungsten loads.
Yesterday is history--tomorrow is a mystery--today is a gift!---That is why they call it the present!

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2010, 05:28:18 AM »
I don't know about Stan's but my 3 1/2" 12 gauge 24" barrel is a fixed full choke. I also have a 3" 12 gauge Turkey barrel with screw in choke tubes. That barrel has a scope rail drilled and tapped on it and it wears either a red dot or a low power scope, depending on what it is being called upon to do....<><....:)

Offline Stan in SC

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2010, 03:40:09 AM »
The choke on the one I bought is fixed.NOT screw in.
All of you who advocate my putting the butt stock weight back in please note in my original post(last sentence) I DID immediately reinstall it since the shotgun didn't balance well without it.I do appreciate your concerns.

Stan in SC