Author Topic: The thickness of a .357 barrel  (Read 896 times)

Offline wreckhog

• Trade Count: (55)
The thickness of a .357 barrel
« on: March 04, 2010, 02:33:32 PM »
Was not obvious to me until I saw this pic of a prospective purchase. Muzzle was threaded for 1/2-28. It is a 16.5" shorty, so if I ever decided to trim that thing, it would be illegal. SBR's and cans are illegal in my state. Could do a fake can or flash hider for looks, which ain't my style. Still thinking......

Offline Lon371

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • Why Not a Handi?
Re: The thickness of a .357 barrel
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 08:39:40 PM »
 If the price were right, I would get it and have an extension or fake can on it. I would not put a flash suppressor or muzzle break on it. I put one on a .223 pump rifle(surplus) it looks better, but it is tooooo loud. I have only shot it with muffs. My boy was shooting it behind the house(i was inside) had to look and see what he was shooting. I thought the neighbor had his .44 Black Hawk out there.

Lonny

Offline jeepmann1948

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (67)
  • San Angelo, Texas
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 01:25:14 AM »
How about having a machine shop/ gunsmith  make a Nut for it to cover the threads? It could be machined down to the same diameter as the barrel.Loctite it on and you have a normal looking barrel again
"it ain't what you shoot em with......................
  it's where you hit em "

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 01:36:48 AM »
a company called Yankee Hill Machine (YHM) makes threaded covers for AR15 barrels in several diameters (they are 1/2x28). They are are made in SS or parkerized and are on sale right now for only $8.00!!! Just google the company and search down in the AR15 barrel section. Any dufficulties or questions send me a PM. The standard barrel may be to small in diameter, you may want the thread cover for a bull barrel...best of luck....<><....:)

Send me the diameter of the barrel just behind the threaded section of your .357 barrel and I will check the diameter of the bull barrel...You could use any standard AR15 flash hider (not a compensator) on that and not increase noise in any way, I would suggest an A1 birdcage style so you would not have to "time" it.   
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Kal52

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 02:53:28 AM »
deleted

Offline D Humbarger

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 06:30:07 AM »
1/2 OD is taking a gamble for 358.  For 358 cal I thread 9/16x28 tpi.
Try to look unimportant.   Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Only Handi so far is a 375 JDJ.

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 06:37:18 AM »
This is the setup I made for the PD barrel a year or so ago.  Never did learn how it shot.  Larry

A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline Deavis

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 06:45:50 PM »
a company called Yankee Hill Machine (YHM) makes threaded covers for AR15 barrels in several diameters (they are 1/2x28). They are are made in SS or parkerized and are on sale right now for only $8.00!!! Just google the company and search down in the AR15 barrel section. Any dufficulties or questions send me a PM. The standard barrel may be to small in diameter, you may want the thread cover for a bull barrel...best of luck....<><....:)

Send me the diameter of the barrel just behind the threaded section of your .357 barrel and I will check the diameter of the bull barrel...You could use any standard AR15 flash hider (not a compensator) on that and not increase noise in any way, I would suggest an A1 birdcage style so you would not have to "time" it.   

The AR flash hider is going to be easy and cheap.... JUST DONT FORGET TO BORE IT OUT FOR .357!!

Offline mike@nds

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Avid Poster
    • NoDak Spud, LLC
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 03:03:26 AM »
I'd go one size bigger.

5/8x24 is a very commonly available thread pitch for .308 muzzle breaks and FH's.

I'll never understand why people do 1/2x32 and 1/2x36 on 9mm AR barrels. It makes the wall paper thin.  ::)
NoDak Spud, LLC
www.nodakspud.com

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2010, 03:08:37 AM »
an A1 or A2 (military) flash hider is completey open at the muzzle end, at least 5/8" but I can measure one if your interested. A Compensator on the other hand is closed and just bored out a bit larger than the bullet to allow it to pass through. The mostly closed off end is what causes the back pressure and loud noise on a compensator. A flash hider is not much, if any, louder than a regular barrel....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2010, 05:15:14 AM »
about 2-3 days ago there was a .357 Mag Handi lised in the Kittery Trading Post online used gun listings with a barrel threaded 1/2x28 (IIRC). I believe they were asking $225 for it. I went back and checked just a minute or so ago and it is no longer listed as available so it must have been sold....<><....:)

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 02:34:27 AM »
Hi Wreckhog, did you buy that threaded .357 barrel? I was wondering because the .357 H&R rifle I saw listed online at Kittery Trading Post with a threaded muzzle is online again. I am leaving for a training day for work soon and will immediately leave for a trip up north after that. I hope to stop a get a look at it as I pass KTP, it is reported to be in 97% condition and I am tempted on it. Is this the one you were thinking of? They took it offline about the time you were speaking of it and now it is back on line, it sounds like a good deal to me....<><....:)