Author Topic: Suckered by an online FFL transfer - maybe  (Read 1121 times)

Offline madbadger

• Trade Count: (0)
Suckered by an online FFL transfer - maybe
« on: October 16, 2003, 03:49:55 AM »
Hey guys, I need your help.  I don't know for certain, but I have strong suspicion that I've been suckered in a pistol transaction.  I ordered a Freedom Arms pistol from a FFL holder in another state.  This pistol was ordered new from Freedom Arms and I know for certain they received the order, manufactured the gun and shipped it to the FFL.  The FFL has had my final payment & the paperwork from my FFL for over a week now and keeps promising and apologizing for not getting it shipped.  I know that sometimes people get busy and don't get things done that they should.  But I've saved up for quite some time for this fully tricked out FA & accessories so we're not talking pocket change and I'm just a bit nervous.

IF he has taken my pistol and my money, what can I do?  What options do I have?

Thanks,

MadBadger
Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster, and what has happened once in 6000 years, may not happen again.

-- Daniel Webster

Offline Shootingamigo

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2003, 04:12:47 AM »
If this pistol was ordered on line thru an auction there should be a buyer protection rule for this contact them first. Secondly this is a Federal offence and no FFL holder wants that. I would then call him and threaten action thru Federal channels. You would need to contact your area police first to get the ball rolling. I really hope you work this out to your satisfaction!! Let us know.

The best to you!!
                                              Joe

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
On-line Transfer
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2003, 05:17:56 AM »
madbadger:  I dang well sympathize with you and agree with what the Shootingamigo advises.  

I would call the guy once more and let him know how concerned you are that he hasn't yet shipped the handgun.  I would give him the chance to explain himself.  Then, if you don't buy his excuse, give him a deadline by which he must ship it.  If you do this by e-mail or follow-up on your telephoen call to him with an e-mail request, copy your message to him to your local Sherrif or Chief of Police (that always worries the heck out of someone) with the request for them to follow-through with federal authorities on your concern.  Just let your Sherrif or Chief of Police know what you are going to do before hand so they are prepared to act on your behalf if the guy sours up.

I would like to think that would get something moving......  And, btw, when you get the gun, if you, the Shootingamigo and me all go to the range together and become friends, will we be the Three Amigos :-D .......HTH.  Mikey.

Offline Shootingamigo

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2003, 05:23:34 AM »
Yep!!!! Always welsome to shoot with me!!! I live in Canton and the Gun Club here is great!!! I own some land in Nevada and there is always time to shoot or fish or both!!!

Take care you guys!!
                                                   Joe

Offline broken arrow

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2003, 06:32:19 AM »
You could always ask one of the forum members to go by his shop in person. This is a large community of gun owners, you never know how a little personal contact may encourage him to pick up the pace. I'd do it for you if it were in my state.
"Cowards die many times before their death, The valiant never taste of death but once."

Offline Shootingamigo

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2003, 07:58:51 AM »
Good idea - I am in Ohio if I can help I will!!!

Joe

Offline madbadger

Reply from FFL
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2003, 08:34:18 AM »
I've just received an email from the FFL in question, explaining the delay with a promise that I'll have the shipment tracking number tomorrow morning.  His work carried him unexpectedly out of town and etc etc.  He writes a convincing story - I guess we'll wait and see a bit longer.  If I don't have the tracking number tomorrow morning I'll definitely start using your ideas!  

Thanks for your ideas (I hadn't thought of anyof them) I hope others have read this posting and have learned their options.

I'd say this forum is FULL of good Amigo's!!!

I'll let y'all know.

MadBadger
Hold on, my friends, to the Constitution and to the Republic for which it stands. Miracles do not cluster, and what has happened once in 6000 years, may not happen again.

-- Daniel Webster

Offline madbadger

FFL came through!
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2003, 08:36:24 AM »
Just wanted to all let you know that the FFL came through true to his word.  He's just starting out and was called away on his "day job" and left the actual shipment drop off job to his college age daughter to complete in his absence.  It seems she has other things on her mind than revolvers (if you can imagine such a state of mind!?)  I've received several emails from her clarifying and apologizing for it not being highest priority.  

In short, I "jumped the gun", "went of half-cocked", acted like a "flash in the pan" and in general "missed the mark" on the transaction.

A brand spanking new FA 97 in .44 Special and other goodies was thoroughly enjoyed over a pretty lengthy lunch hour today!

Thanks again for the great ideas to be prepared for.  Hope I - and you guys - never need to use them.  Another good tip was made by my local Post Master, send your gun payments Certified Mail.  Maybe y'all do that anyway - I never have.

Thanks again!

Mad Badger :-D

-- Daniel Webster

Offline ira41magfan

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2003, 10:32:50 AM »
Madbadger, I've been following this thread and want to say that I'm glad it all worked out OK.
Rob

Offline Shootingamigo

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2003, 01:27:02 PM »
Hey Guy!!
               Glad it worked out for you. I dont think you were out of line or jumping the gun. As a matter of fact I admire your patience!!! Something I know I need more of.

Take care
                                        Shootingamigo

Offline Raging480

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2003, 03:04:17 AM »
I have ordered two different 657's through the web in the past year.  The first was used, the second was used, but unfired.  I originally felt apprehensive to buy blindly from someone hundreds of miles away, but both of my deals went off without a hitch.  I am pleased by these guns more than any others I have purchased.  I understand how excited and impatient one gets when waiting for a new gun.  You want it NOW, and it is tough to realize that there are other things going on in the other person's life.  I'm glad you are happy with your new pistola, have fun!
Praise the Lord, and pass the ammunition!

Offline quicksdraw45

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2003, 06:57:29 PM »
I am glad to hear that you have gotten that fine FA
I would suggest that you pay by credit card whenever possible , It offers more protection .
The credit cards dont want you to be soured on interenet purchases , They stand to make alot of money from this over the years.