Author Topic: Serious wife troubles  (Read 3393 times)

Offline scootrd

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Serious wife troubles
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2010, 04:24:47 PM »
If she could shoot .38's, you could purchase a little heavier .357 and load 38's.
The heaver weight would lessen felt recoil.

My wife's been Eyeballing Ruger's  SP101 with crimson trace grips for her nightstand go-to.
They are somewhere around a 1.5 lbs. (maybe for Christmas If Santa determines she has been a good girl  :) )  
She will most likely load it with 38's

"if your old flathead doesn't leak you are out of oil"
"I have strong feelings about gun control. If there is a gun around I want to be controlling it." - Clint Eastwood
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjaman Franklin
"It's better to be hated for who you are , then loved for who your not." - Van Zant

Offline haroldclark

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Contributor
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2010, 05:30:31 PM »
Dear Gene R,  Just be glad that your wife will take a handgun and shoot it.  I spent 27 years in Law Enforcement in the San Francisco Bay area.  Oakland, California to be exact.  I spent 6 months studying and testing different ammo for the 9mm and 357 Magnums.  Neither are user friendly to the ladies due to fire and recoil.  I have seen people shot with every caliber known to man and I have had to shoot in defense as well.

My Opinion is:  If a person will arm themselves with the Lowly 22 Rimfire, they will not be outgunned if they can shoot it well.  I have preached for years that a 22 up your nose will certainly discourage any ill intentions of the bad guy. 

A 22 revolver or semi-auto in the hands of a person that is not afraid to shoot, is a nasty and deadly weapon.  I have a buddy that was shot 10 times with a Ruger 22 auto.  He was leaking blood from 10 holes and losing his life very nearly before he could be patched up.

Teach your wife to shoot whatever she wants and feels comfortable with.  Don't impose your opinion of the "Ideal handgun" on her.  In the first place, there is no such thing as the ideal handgun.  None of them will knock a person down or blow them out a 3 story windows with the fire and brimstone that you see in the Movies. 

A real story is belly to belly with an armed drug addict high on Methamphetamine. Your left hand is holding his wrist with a gun in his hand. Your right hand holds your 45 Long Colt revolver and you fire 6 shots point blank into his chest and he doesn't move, flinch or fall.  Parts of your body suck air and you wonder "What am I going to do now?"  You hang on until he bleeds to death from 3 shots in the heart and all 250 grains slugs opened up to 3/4".  I have more stories, but I won't bore you with them.

Run a test with your own body.  Jerk a hair out of your nose by the roots and then see if you can see for the next 10 minutes.  You are blinded by the pain and tears and snot.  Now, figure a 22 rimfire up your nose with follow up shots to the cheeks and heart.  There is no recoil to deal with and rapid shots can fill that culprit with holes faster than he can plug them.

Don't know about you, but I would be running away from that woman.

Harold Clark

PS: My wife can out shoot 99% of the men.  Her favorite is a model 66 - 3" in 357 Magnum and second is a Colt 1911 Gold Cup 45 ACP.  I started her out with a 22 rim fire revolver. 

Offline Richard P

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2010, 05:22:30 AM »
  In addition to the ''cornered cat'', she may wish to visit  www.womenshooters.com     For women and mostly by women.  Richard

Offline Savage

« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2010, 05:42:01 AM »
Not to debate the effectiveness of the .22, any round striking anywhere in the ocular region would be a bit distracting. Problem is: can you reliably hit it? Some say our skills deteriorate by 60% or more in a fight or flight situation, maybe more. In my mind that kinda removes the advantage of shot placement with sub calibers. Still any gun is better than none. If a .22 were the only option, then I'd carry one myself.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2010, 09:28:02 AM »
why not let her use the 243 encore?  she isnt carrying it, is she?  if in the house, and she knows and is comfortable with it, why not use that.  the muzzle blast from that aimed at them in a house has got to be fierce; even if she didnt hit them.    the second would be badguys know she is armed, they arent going to stop and try to access what exactly she is shooting.   

Offline 45-70.gov

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2010, 11:24:19 AM »
yes the muzzle  blast of a 243 pistol  indoors

would be more intimidating  the ''sound of a pump shotgun''
when drugs are outlawed only out laws will have drugs
DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO STOP A DEMOCRAT
OBAMACARE....the biggest tax hike in the  history of mankind
free choice and equality  can't co-exist
AFTER THE LIBYAN COVER-UP... remind any  democrat voters ''they sat and  watched them die''...they  told help to ''stand down''

many statements made here are fiction and are for entertainment purposes only and are in no way to be construed as a description of actual events.
no one is encouraged to do anything dangerous or break any laws.

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2010, 01:43:40 PM »
my buddy shot his 35 remington contender inside once,  it was so loud i pee-ed my pants and forgot my name for about 10 seconds.   

Offline Dogshooter

• A Real Regular
  • NRA Life Member
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2010, 04:25:46 AM »
My wife wouldn't allow a gun of any kind  in her house. I decided on a .45 ACP , a different wife, and a different house.  ;D
Perception is everything. For instance, a crowded elevator smells different to a midget.

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2010, 07:03:40 AM »
Sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

My 2nd wife wanted the house, the guns that were in it, and my hunting partner. In the short run, she got two out of three. Then my hunting partner dumped her for a younger woman....I always told her to be careful what she asked for. I did give her my S&W M19 357mag so she could be as deaf as me! ;D ;D
Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater

Offline The Pistoleer

• GBO Supporter
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2010, 08:05:32 AM »
I would think a 20 Gauge Stoeger coach gun would be just the thing for her.  It's break open like her Encore, has a heck of an intimidation factor and with a dead mule in the butt stock the recoil would be just a bit more than the .243.  And she would have 2 shots.

With that said I agree that you need to get her what she wants so she will actually practice with it.  OF course I would be willing to bet if you weren't home and she was faced with an intruder she would get over her mis-givings in a hurry and use what was there. ;)

Regardless be sure to let us know how this turns out.

Pete
Pete

NRA Endowment Life

Be Safe,Have fun

Offline jackruff

• Avid Poster
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2010, 06:31:41 PM »
I have an old nickle-plated H&R model 733 32 S&W.  No recoil, but it's pretty loud.  My wife won't shoot it or my 38/357's.  In fact she won't shoot anything but a .22 rifle.

Offline FourBee

« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2010, 09:48:07 AM »
Gene; It may help if you could find a gun range with good instructors who have a few small revolvers to introduce and familiarize her with.  ;D
Enjoy your rights to keep and bear arms.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2010, 10:20:52 AM »
Try a 327 Federal Mag , A Ruger SP-101 . The gun fits my wifes hand well , it might fit hers also. She can pratice with 32 S&W longs , shorts , 32 H&R mag. And use the 327 FM for soical events . She can also get speical reduced self defense loads for it in 327 FM.

WHATS NOT TO LIKE ?
BTW tell her good shooting on the 6 deer !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline TheCoachZed

• Avid Poster
  • Who wants some?
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2010, 10:41:21 AM »
Heck, I wouldn't complain. Be glad you can buy her any pistol at all. Up here in Canuckistan it's basically verboten to have pistols for self-defense, unless they are antiques. I mean, you can own pistols easily enough, but you can't take them anywhere but the range, and you have to have them all locked down and unloaded in the house. Basically useless.

Anyway, I wouldn't want to be shot by .22lr CCI Velocitors, or any .22 mags at all. The Texas Rangers allegedly used to say that more people were killed by .22lr than any other round, and you can sure practice the heck out a .22, since it's so cheap. Better to be accurate and comfortable with any weapon than scared to shoot it and too poor to feed it!  ;D

Of course, this is all coming from a guy who doesn't own any pistols.
My avatar is pretty much what I look like out in the woods - except I am not a "chick" in any sense of the word.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2010, 02:49:55 AM »
it not if the die its when they stop attacking you ! the reason you had to shoot in the first place  ;)

Offline dogngun

• Avid Poster
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2010, 05:16:40 AM »
A 9 shot .22 mag revolver with a 4" barrel to get a little of the velocity working for you is a much better choice than some...certainly better than nothing. Use a solid for penetration

I would not bother with a short barreled revolver in this caliber - too much blast and flash and not so much energy.

If she will practice with it and actually learn to shoot a .22, by all means get one for her.

mark

Offline Tackleberry

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Avid Poster
  • That's not a gun---This is a gun....
    • mil
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2010, 05:25:05 AM »
I would get her anything she is comfortable with and is a good shot with. I'm surely not going to stand in front of a women  shooting 22 Magnums at me...most people would not.

If someone stands there (if they can) after she puts the first one in them They are truly idiots or hopped up on something that even a 38SPL won't effect much..

Teach her to shoot center of mass with those...they can be highly effective.
David Berry
LCDR USN (ret)
NRA Life member
Texan by birth and the grace of GOD
OLE MISS graduate

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #47 on: May 04, 2010, 05:32:06 AM »
My wife wouldn't allow a gun of any kind  in her house. I decided on a .45 ACP , a different wife, and a different house.  ;D

LOL !!
A man got to do what he needs to do. !! ;D
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2010, 05:38:06 AM »
......................I mean, you can own pistols easily enough, but you can't take them anywhere but the range*, and you have to have them all locked down and unloaded in the house.

Of course, this is all coming from a guy who doesn't own any pistols.

* and not all Ranges either. I made my Restricted Test last year and am still wondering  WHY !!

Offline jackruff

• Avid Poster
« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2010, 06:10:43 PM »
Tackleberry,
I see you are an Ole Miss alumnus.  When were you there?

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2010, 02:12:40 AM »
CoachZed:  geez man, sounds like you live in the sheeples republik of dc, nyc, chi-town, or san francisco.  I had no idea that canuckistan was under such intolerance.  Sounds like you need to put the people back in charge up there and dump all your incumbent politicians like I hope we do this coming November. 

Offline TheCoachZed

• Avid Poster
  • Who wants some?
« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2010, 10:32:02 AM »
I wish.

Handguns have been registered here since the 1930s. It's never going away.  >:(
My avatar is pretty much what I look like out in the woods - except I am not a "chick" in any sense of the word.

Offline Merle

• Contributor
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2010, 05:18:32 PM »

After we had been married several years, one of my buddies wife decided he couldn't have a gun any more. My wife asked me "what if I told you that?" I told her that part of the courtship process was to determine her feelings about guns & hunting, and if she had failed that test she would have been disqualified from further consideration. After a long, silent moment, she walked off. She still hunts & shoots with me when we have the chance.

Choose wisely!

;D ;D ;D

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2010, 05:21:54 AM »
I over heard my wife tell her cousin that I had warned her I hunted , fished and shot before we married and she had agreeded it was OK . Then she said she didn't realize i ment that much of it . We had been married about 8 weeks then . #1 years later she has warmed up to it some.

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2010, 04:13:22 AM »
................... We had been married about 8 weeks then . #1 years later she has warmed up to it some.

The last part of that sentence doesn't sound all that reasuring to me. Women have a nasty habit of bringing stuff up that has been decided upon( you thought) or sitting in a closet for a long long time.

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2010, 07:49:20 AM »
................... We had been married about 8 weeks then . #1 years later she has warmed up to it some.

The last part of that sentence doesn't sound all that reasuring to me. Women have a nasty habit of bring stuff up that has been decided upon( you thought) or sitting in a closet for a long long time.

I think maybe it's tongue in cheek and he means 31 years, just hit the wrong key? ???
Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2010, 10:12:57 AM »
yep wrong key

Offline Centaur 1

« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2010, 06:04:51 AM »
I have a H&R 950 revolver that I bought for $70 that would fit your needs well. The 950 is just a satin chrome version of the H&R 949. It has a 9 shot cylinder that looks like a single action cowboy revolver. The only similarity is in the looks; it works single or double action, and rather than loading through the swing out loading gate, the entire cylinder is removable with the push of a button. Take your wife to a gun show and I'm sure that you'll find a 949 for under $100.............Mike