Author Topic: Powder/Primer Suggestions  (Read 539 times)

Offline scratcherky

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
Powder/Primer Suggestions
« on: March 24, 2010, 07:37:33 AM »
I am going to load some 38 Special rounds to be used in a 2 inch barrel using bullets from 125 to 158 grains and would like some powder and primer suggestions. I have never loaded handgun rounds but have reloaded rifle rounds for years.
Thanks,
Don
Don & man's best friend
Still looking at the green side of sod

Offline spinafish

• Trade Count: (24)
Re: Powder/Primer Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 07:47:26 AM »
here's the link to Hodgdons sitehttp://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp..I am fond of 231 in the .38 myself..but there are numberous very good powders out there that work really well in the .38 Special.
the most heartwreching words any man will ever hear
"depart from me, I never knew you"  Jesus
We may ignore, but we can nowhere evade the presence of God. The world is crowded with Him. He walks everywhere incognito.” C.S. Lewis

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 08:21:17 AM »
  When i was loading for the 38 i used a heck of a lot of Red Dot. Always used CCI primers.
                   bobg

Offline the jigger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 09:25:16 AM »
Unique
CCI small pistol
125 Speer Gold Dot for defence
125 Winchester Jacketed HP for plinking.
That's what my wife did for 20yrs.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!!
IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!!

Offline rugerfan.64

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 05:59:51 PM »
Is there any handgun cartridge (excluding rifle cartridges loaded for hangcannons) that Unique doesnt work with? Good luck.

Offline mbopp

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 03:01:04 AM »
Any of the faster powders will work. My .357 really likes Unique for .38 Spl loads but you can use Bullseye, 231 / HP38, Red Dot, or any powder in that burn range.
I also use Unique in my T/C .357 Herrett for cast bullet practice loads.
Ed Harris' load of 13 gr Red Dot is his do-all plinker load for 30-'06 size rifle cases.
"The Constitution is not an instrument for government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government, lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." -- Patrick Henry, American Patriot

Offline scratcherky

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 04:35:22 AM »
Thanks for all the inputs. It just so happens I have some Red Dot left over from my shotshell reloading days so will start with it. When used in shotshells it burn sort of dirty but that was entirely different application.
Don & man's best friend
Still looking at the green side of sod

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 05:05:31 AM »
I just got into reloading the .38 Special recently. So far I've tried Bullseye and IMR-4227 with CCI small pistol primers. Both powders worked very well with the 148 grain wadcutters I was using out of my Ruger LCR. I plan on trying some Unique soon since it works very well with my .45 Colt loads.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline Old Fart

• Intergalactic Moderator
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (77)
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 05:12:26 AM »
I really like the Bullseye powder for shorter barrel.
You do need to be careful when using the hotter powders.
It's easy to double charge one when there's so little powder in there.
Be careful and check, then double check, then....well you get it.
"All my life I've had a bad case of the Fred's. Fredrick Vanderbilt taste on a Fred Sanford budget." CR
Lifetime/Endowment/Patron NRA Member.
Second Amendment Foundation, www.saf.org - Life Member

Offline Steve P

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 05:13:16 AM »
Thanks for all the inputs. It just so happens I have some Red Dot left over from my shotshell reloading days so will start with it. When used in shotshells it burn sort of dirty but that was entirely different application.

Different application, but you will see similar results. Especially at the cylinder-barrel gap.  spit spit spit

Are you shooting in a 2" 38?  or in a 357?  You don't want "dirty" if shooting 38s in a 357.  

Do you want hot loads or plinkers?   The 158SWC and Unique is a great plinking load in a 38.  The 148HBWC with a little bit of Bullseye or AA#5 makes a good paper load, or a good Hunting load.  (seat the bullet with HB up for hunting loads.)  A good 125 grain jacketed bullet with 296, H110, 2400, 231, etc makes a good defense load and a good hunting load for varmint size game....bunnies....squirrels....rock chucks....etc.

Lots and Lots of loads to try....so little time.    A couple of years ago I spent the $$s and loaded up enough plinking 38/357 ammo to last me probably the rest of my life.  Vacuum packed 50 round batches and stored them in 50 cal ammo cans.  If you get a load that shoots well in your gun, and have powder/primer/brass left....load load load.  Components are cheap and it is better to have extra on hand than to have none.   You should have seen this board a year ago when powder and primers were hard to get.  Ammo and components were selling 5 and 10 times normal value.  

Good luck and enjoy that 38.  

Steve :)

P.S.  Mild is usually better than wild when it comes to keeping the shots on target.   ;)
"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002

Offline cybin

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 05:35:40 PM »
I have loaded for .38 special and .357 for over 30 years now--tried a bunch of different loads--in a bunch of different guns. I have settled on 3 grains of Bulleye and a 158 gr. SWC, and prefer to use a winchester SP primer. Though CCI and Remington SP primers work well for me.

cybin

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2010, 12:01:12 AM »
I have settled on a 148 grain HBWC, 3 grains of Bullseye, and a small pistol primer as my plinking, practice and small game load. I suspect that it would not make a bad self defense load too, but my gun is a 357 Mag, so I use a little stouter load with Remington 125 grain bullets for that purpose.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.