Author Topic: which press to use  (Read 425 times)

Offline tdoug

• Trade Count: (0)
which press to use
« on: March 24, 2010, 01:16:48 PM »
I was a hand loader for many years but stopped because of a serious accident and a resulting disability.
I want to get back involved if I can. I now have a Lee hand press and a Lee loader. I was thinking - I also have purchased Wilson dies for use w/an arbor press. If I wanted to get a small single stage press would I get an RCBS partner, or go for something more $$$, like the Harrell's compact - I guess I wonder if the Harrel's press is worth the xtra money.

Offline Badnews Bob

• Trade Count: (34)
Re: which press to use
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 01:48:59 PM »
I'd give the Lee classic cast press a good look, works great cost little. 8)
Badnews Bob
AE-2 USN retired

Offline flashhole

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 03:23:13 PM »
If you are looking for a single stage press I will "cast" another vote for the Lee Classic Cast single stage.  Great value and a nice press that you will pass on to someone else.  If you want an auto indexing turret go with the Lee Classic Turret.  Another great value and you will pass that one on too.  I have one of each. 

Offline wncchester

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 03:59:02 PM »
VERY good advise.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline BigJakeJ1s

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 06:04:58 PM »
On a budget, the LCC is really hard to beat.

For more $$, the Forster Co-Ax is the best designed, best built single stage press available.

Andy

Offline roper

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 06:19:35 PM »
Since you got the Wilson's all you need is a press for sizing.  It's a shame that Wilson dropped their FL sizing dies that you could use with the arbor press save having to buy another press.  I had the small Harrel press for the 6ppc very limited as compare to a press that you can bolt to a table for more leverage I think there more for portable use.  I'd get a single stage press. I've got an old RCBS Rock Chucker  had it more years that I can count so I haven't keep up with whats the latest.

I'm glad to see that someone else uses the Wilson dies.