Author Topic: 6.5 wildcat question  (Read 433 times)

Offline Oscar2287

• Trade Count: (14)
6.5 wildcat question
« on: March 23, 2010, 08:29:22 PM »
Not sure if this is the best place in GBO to ask this question but it seemed like it might be.

Has anyone ever heard of any wildcat cartridges using the 6.5x55 as the parent case?  I'm specifically curious about necking it down to .257 to shoot the lighter bullets (<120gr) out of a rebarreled mauser - same action etc.

Has it been done?
What are the advantages/disadvantages I haven't considered?

"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Re: 6.5 wildcat question
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 01:08:51 AM »
If it were me, I would first see if I could get a reamer for your wildcat. If you can't then you would have to get a custom reamer made. After that thought you will need dies, again if it not some thing you can buy, you will have to get custom dies made up. I would research these angles before I progressed any further. If you have to go the custom route, I would think about an "improved" 6.5 X 55 case. The parent case has a bit more taper than needed and blow out the shoulder angle to 40 degrees or so. If you can get a reamer and dies, they will be expensive, but not as much as having custom ones made. Good Luck and Good Shooting
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline Nobade

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 03:05:10 AM »
A 257 Roberts will get you there with much less hassles.
"Give me a lever long enough, and a place to stand, and I'll break the lever."

Offline jedman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (24)
  • A Real Regular
  • Retired and livin the dream !
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 03:07:22 AM »
  As just stated it sounds like it would be quite expensive to do for such a small difference in bullet size/ performance ( decrease ). From .264 to .257 is a small change.
I f the 6.5 x 55 case had the same head diameter as the 257 Rob. you could do a shorter version of it but you have a different bolt face and a case with a one of a kind head diameter not shared with any others so it would have to be special made.   Jedman
Current handi family, 24 ga./ 58 cal ,50-70,  45 smokeless MZ, 44 belted bodeen, 44 mag,.375 H&R (wildcat),375 Win.,357 max, .340 MF ( wildcat ), 8 mm Lebel, 8x57, .303 British, 270 x 57 R,(wildcat) 256 Win Mag, 2 x 243 Win,2 x 223 Rem. 7-30 Waters &20ga.,

Offline roper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 06:25:57 AM »
Not sure if this is the best place in GBO to ask this question but it seemed like it might be.

Has anyone ever heard of any wildcat cartridges using the 6.5x55 as the parent case?  I'm specifically curious about necking it down to .257 to shoot the lighter bullets (<120gr) out of a rebarreled mauser - same action etc.

Has it been done?
What are the advantages/disadvantages I haven't considered?

Been done before called 257 ARCH.  You have to have dies made and buy the reamer as most gunsmith would split the cost of the reamer/gauges only if they figure to get more chamber jobs.  Once you had the reamer print you can have dies made so that total cost be around $400/$500 for dies/reamer/gauges.

If that would be your first wildcat I'd do something alittle easier both in fireforming brass/pocket book and known reloading data maybe a 257 Roberts AI or just a 257 Roberts you could even do the 25 off the 308 case or 284 case.

Don't get me wrong I love a good wildcat.  Wish I could be more helpful