Author Topic: XS Ghost sight on my .444 Winchester BB?  (Read 915 times)

Offline deerhunter1981

• Trade Count: (0)
XS Ghost sight on my .444 Winchester BB?
« on: June 17, 2010, 07:19:33 AM »
Hey guys,

I'm thinking of mounting a XS Ghost Ring set-up on my Winchester Big Bore in .444 Marlin (not timber model). XS lists several options for Winchester 94's in their catalog http://www.xssights.com/store/catalog.pdf

The rifle has a sight ramp, but I'm thinking of having a gunsmith making a dovetail in the actual barrel. If so, does anyone knoe what sight alternative should I go for?

Offline Rangr44

• Trade Count: (6)
Re: XS Ghost sight on my .444 Winchester BB?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 12:26:38 PM »
This XS receiver peep sight will mount directly atop the receiver of your .444 M94 BB94 Carbine, utilizing the two rear scope mount holes:

WI-0014-5 Winchester 94 AE .444 & Timber Carbine - w/ramp (*1)................. $90.00

A front sight blade higher than issue will be needed in order to zero the rifle.

If you like the XS White Line sight, they will also sell you one, if not many other companies (Lyman/Williams/Marbles/etc) make suitable front sight blades in your choice of both bead sizes (1/16" & 3/32") and materiels (Ivory bead/Gold bead/FO bead) or a Sourdough Patridge pattern.

There's a Place for All God's Creatures - Right Next to the Potatoes & Gravy ! !

Offline deerhunter1981

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 12:51:06 PM »
Rangr44,

Thanks for the reply, you're a faithful helper!

So the "Winchester 92, 94 AE, .307 & .356-w/o ramp (*1)......................... $90.00" will not fit my 94 .444 marlin? I was thinking, that if it did, that is if the receiver sight is the same for both the .307/.356 and the .444 model, then I would not have to order the high front sight (white line) seperatly?

I'm not a big fan of front sight ramps, that's the reason why I want the dovetail solution instead...

Offline Rangr44

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 07:34:01 AM »
AFAIK, the BB94 barrels are too thin for a proper front sight dovetail.

You can call XS Cust Service to query them, but I would think that ALL their receiver sights for ANY M94AE are identical, with the various applications (chamberings/barrel contour & diameter) requiring a different height front sight.

I've even used the XS 94AE peeps on Model 92's and Model 86"s via D/T the top rails similar to the 94AE pattern.

It's not as complicated as most folks think, and just about as E-Z to figure out the correct front sight height to accompany the sight for whatever app.

There's a Place for All God's Creatures - Right Next to the Potatoes & Gravy ! !

Offline deerhunter1981

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 08:59:55 AM »
Rangr44, again thanks for your input.

The Trapper model in .44 I would assume have the same barrel thicknes as the BB in .444 marlin, and it has a dovetail front sight solution. So I'll have a gunsmith look at it. The same goes for my Ranger model in 30-30. It has a front sight ramp, but I'd think it has a thick enough barrel to cut a dovetail into it.

Offline Rangr44

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 05:15:09 PM »
FWIW, the .44 Mag Trapper may/may not have the same barrel wall thickness at the muzzle as the .444 Marlin - but I KNOW the .444 develops more pressure.

I wouldn't advise cutting a front bbl dovetail, where the factory declined to do so.