Author Topic: Chemicals that can alter/damage a case hardend finish?  (Read 519 times)

Offline His lordship.

• Trade Count: (12)
Chemicals that can alter/damage a case hardend finish?
« on: March 21, 2010, 08:32:04 AM »
Are there any chemicals like solvents or rubbing alcohol that can damage a case hardend finish like on the Colts and percussion gun lock plates?

I was removing some over drip of linseed oil on my pistol's lock plate last night with rubbing alchohol and was worried that the finish was damaged.  Fortunately I took several photos of the gun when I first bought it for insurance purposes and was able to pull up an image that showed no problem.  But still, it made me cautious of what may or may not be good for the protective finish.

Offline blhof

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Chemicals that can alter/damage a case hardend finish?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 01:08:35 PM »
Real case hardening is as chemical resistant as the metal, but many of the newer case hardened guns are a coating, as in paint or finish, which can be affected by harsh chemicals, when in doubt, try and check with the maker, most have a customer service and will inform you if anything is contraindicated.

Offline gcrank1

• Trade Count: (24)
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 11:17:30 AM »
And dont use 'nitro' type solvents which may contain ammonia. Some of them are harsh enough to take off the thin 'blue' and who knows what else.
"Halt while I adjust my accoutrements!"
      ><   ->
We are only temporary caretakers of the past heading toward an uncertain future
22Mag UV / 22LR  Sportster
357Mag Schuetzen Special
45-70  SS Ultra Hunter with UV cin.lam. wood
12ga. 'Ol' Ugly OverKill', Buck barrel c/w  SpeedStock  and swap 28" x Full bird barrel, 1974

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 11:29:30 AM »
Well,
Flitz, Never dull, and other polishes will take the color case off of a gun.
Don't ask how I know but the same flitz that will clean up any surface rust on a Colt SAA's barrel will polish the top strap to white in less time than it takes to tie your shoe.
Never dull will pull the blue off a gun.
Your standard gun cleaning stuff of Hoppies #9 and the like as well as the like are fine.
The spray stuff will melt Rubber grips like on a Colt SAA, Walther P-38,Sig P-2-- Series and will take a couple layers of varnish off of the wood grips.  Again Don't ask how I know.   :'(

Offline Reverend Recoil

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 11:03:32 AM »
Sweat from your hands can fade case colors.