Author Topic: How good are the H&K guns  (Read 1288 times)

Offline bigleo18

• Trade Count: (0)
How good are the H&K guns
« on: April 25, 2010, 07:55:46 AM »
I would like to know how they shoot. I am looking at a hk45 and the HK usp are they worth the money and how good do they shoot also would you take one over a kimber, sig or glock.

Offline williamlayton

Re: How good are the H&K guns
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 01:50:00 PM »
Aside from the cosmetics they are considered among the best weapons around.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline temmi

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 09:31:26 AM »
I have a USP in 45 ACP and want a HK45.

They are indeed one of the best you can get...

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 10:16:02 AM »
i had a usp 45.  it was nice, but do i think it was worth what i paid?  no.   mags are expensive, and super hard to find.   the glocks have been more reliable, more accurate, have better triggers, and easier to find mags for.  and, they come in more calibers.     
  i kept the hk, and one day bought a kimber.   after shooting them side by side, i knew the hk had just become my new dust collector.   so i sold it and i will tell you i havent regretted it once. 

Offline Noreaster

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 11:19:15 AM »
I don't own one. They have a great reputation. Check out Larry Vicker's website. He helped design the H&K 45s.

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 11:25:50 AM »
When Comparing an H&K to a Berretta, to a SIG, to a Glock to a S&W
If you are talking same caliber and same frame size (Sub Compact, Compact and Full Size)
It would be like comparing Ford to Dodge to Chevy to Toyota.  A pick up is basicly a pick up.  Each has it's fans and followers, the same with handguns.
All have neat features, something unique, and all are reliable.
Figure out what you like, What features are important to you (ambidextrous, Decocker, safety, double stack mag, night sights?), what fits in your hands, and what fits you budget (remember in the budget to include ammo and range time as well as the other items you may want like leather, spare mags, cleaning supplies and the like)
I have a buddy that will spend every last $ of his budget on the gun and not have anything left for ammo or range time to use and get good with the handgun.
Personally I am a Sig Fan.  I like the H&K guns but find the USP series a little chunky, but they work well and have neat features.  I am not a Glock Fan - Great guns but they do not fit me and I have a hard time pointing them.  I do have a S&W that was Glock based but the frame is at a different angle and I can point it to line up my sights.

Offline HAMMERHEAD

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 02:15:23 PM »
I've owned several HK pistols. Right now I own the HK 45. One of the main reasons I keep coming back to HK is reliability. Every 1911 I've owned has had a 'break in' period to put it politely. Glock .45's don't like certain bullet shapes.
Both my USP .45 and Hk45 have been flawless from round one. My favorite .45 load is a .200 grain plated or jacketed SWC, the HK's are the only pistols I've shot that never choke on them. I'm just pleased as punch with the 25 and 50 yard accuracy of that load in my HK 45.

HK's are not perfect, they don't have that super crisp 1911 trigger and there's not a lot of aftermarket parts, but you really don't need them. I think they are worth the money.

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 05:44:35 PM »
  one other thing....the rails on them (if i remember correctly) are not friendly toward most things you would want to put on a rail; i.e. lights, lasers, etc.  you have to buy hk specifc designed stuff and good luck getting your hands on that.   oh, and the trigger was spongy as hell and i never could get used to it due to the flex in the poly material that it was made of.    the glock trigger, while different, was fairly easy to get used to. 

Offline blackpowderbill

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 05:53:20 PM »
Over engineered, over rated and over priced. Don't get me wrong, they are reliable, accurate and well made, but as said before, I can buy a Glock that will do everything and HK will do for about 300 less.
People are like slinkies, they serve no purpose yet they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010, 07:30:45 PM »
They are very nice guns. They come in a variety of trigger and action configurations. They really do have unique features that may be very important to you. If you want a very nice gun that handles like a Glock, get a Glock. There isn't really any significant reliability differences for the money. If you want a very nice gun that handles like an Audi get the Hk.

I love my SIG's, they do everything I want the way I want to do it. But I'll tell you, I have lusted for a P2000sk, and on the right day I will likely take one home with the SA/DA trigger like my SIG's.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline mcwoodduck

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 06:20:29 AM »
They are very nice guns. They come in a variety of trigger and action configurations. They really do have unique features that may be very important to you. If you want a very nice gun that handles like a Glock, get a Glock. There isn't really any significant reliability differences for the money. If you want a very nice gun that handles like an Audi get the Hk.

I love my SIG's, they do everything I want the way I want to do it. But I'll tell you, I have lusted for a P2000sk, and on the right day I will likely take one home with the SA/DA trigger like my SIG's.
Actually the 2000's have a tripple trigger.
once the gun is cocked you have traditional ingle action,
If you decock the gun you have a very light double action.
f that round fails to fire you have the traditional Double action or if you lower the hammer the traditional way with your thumb.
Really neat.   was showing them two years ago at the H&K booth at the Sports fair in Norco, Ca.  Hey that is comming up again in June.

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2010, 08:18:13 AM »
They do have some unique features. I do like the push button decock by the hammer as well. P239 size gun with nearly half again the rounds and barely heavier, or larger.

I also think a Walther PPS would be about ideal to carry, really wish I could have talked the wife into one, so I could borrow it. Sorry drifting a bit.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline 1sourdough

• Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 12:26:43 AM »
 There are 2 types of 'rails' on the HK. The USP handguns are of a size that requires a special "HK" sized accessory to fit. The newer HK-45 rails are of a common size that allows all standard accessories to attach without modifications.

I really like my HK-45c. I have some Glocks, a 1911, & a few other things but the HK-45 is on top. Yes they all go bang, but there's no denying the H&K is a quality weapon. All snobbery aside.
NRA, Veteran

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2010, 02:39:35 AM »
I don't own an HK but it is because I own two Sigs,
I like the cosmetics of a Sig over the HK---now---The HK is one superb piece of work.
Overpriced?? I wonder what my life is worth when it comes too using it where it is designed too be used??
I agree that it is over-designed for the range or keeping under the matress.
My Sigs & 1911's ride and are worn in different enviroments and are there to be called on without wondering if they are clean enough to do the job,
That is what I expect from all that I carry--even the 1911's.
That is called reliability.
You bet they are worth every penny you pay for them---HK, Sigs, Walthers and worked up1911's.
You carry what you wish--just be sure that when you need it you are not wishing.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2010, 08:35:28 AM »
dont kid yourself into thinking that an hk is any more reliable than a good 1911.  like i said, i liked my hk until i bought my kimber and shot them side by side.   the hk was good, but i can not tell you it was more reliable than the kimber.    and, i cant tell you honestly that the hk is more reliable or more accurate than a glock.   

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2010, 09:37:35 AM »
Myronman
I think that you will notice i put my 1911's in the mix.
Of course, they are not straight out of the box.
I know-I know---I am just an anal type.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2010, 10:40:31 AM »
yup, i noticed.    and in all fairness, my experience came from a usp 45.   the new pistols i have not had a chance to shoot so there could be a quality difference there. 

Offline NickSS

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2010, 08:01:36 PM »
I have owned and still own quite a few 1911s. You could say I have a thing for them. I did buy a long time ago either a Walther or H&K 45 auto. I do not rememer the model or even the maker for sure but it was a single stack DA/SA pistol.  Worked well, shot well but I sold it for one reason, the gun was made for a hand a lot larger than mine and I could never get the level of accuracy out of it that I wanted.  As for reliability the most reliable 45 auto I have ever owned bar none is a cheap, clunky, with the aesthetics of a brick Ruger P90.  Right out of the box this pistol eats everything I put in it from target loads to +P+ loads, lead, plaited, jacketed HP of every make that I could find it never misses a beat.  It almost makes me mad that it works so well and cost half what my Kinmer did.