Author Topic: Cannon spotting-MTN Howitzer  (Read 934 times)

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Cannon spotting-MTN Howitzer
« on: April 15, 2010, 09:10:40 PM »
Spotted this gun today...

Very difficult to photograph indoors siting in a bright sunny window.

I will going by this gun again on Saturday.  If any one has a feature they need photos of, let me Know.

The Part Rangers told me they have all the accessories and accouterments for this gun in their warehouse in ther original shipping containers. If some one want to view these items, they can make and advance arrange and they will be made available.

I'll get mre details on Saturday

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Cannon spotting-MTN Howitzer
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 10:14:13 PM »
Great Falls of the Missouri?
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Double D

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 04:10:25 AM »
Big Hole Battlefield

Sorry for forgetting that

Offline DarbinCo

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 04:51:59 AM »
Very nice indeed..

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 07:58:22 AM »
good carriage   damn good display  still an extended pot boiler  man size haggis though.
Scottish by birth and by heart.

Offline Double D

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 07:20:16 PM »
I asked the lady Rangers if they ever shot this cannon, they both got this silly grin and said no they weren't allowed to.  The last time it was fired was November 8th 1889 when it fired 41 shots to commemorate Montana's admission to the union as a state.  40 shots for the previous 40 states and the 41st  a massive overload which broke the carriage.  

The ladies said they have a lot of accessories for this gun including things like sights.  

Offline Double D

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 07:49:21 PM »
Again, if anyone needs additional pictures, let me know before morning,  I will leave computer connect about 8 am MDT.

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 08:50:26 PM »
Douglas,
The barrel shows the scars of some active use; does the literature there state that it saw action in the 'Indian Wars'? Its impossible to tell by the photos if the prairie carriage and limber are originals, but if they are; would you take some photos of the limber?
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Double D

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2010, 02:34:30 AM »
Douglas,
The barrel shows the scars of some active use; does the literature there state that it saw action in the 'Indian Wars'? Its impossible to tell by the photos if the prairie carriage and limber are originals, but if they are; would you take some photos of the limber?

Yes this as the actual Cannon used at the battle of the Big Hole. it fired two shots and was over ran by the Nez Perce.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Big_Hole

Offline dan610324

• bronze cannons and copper stills ;-))
    • dont have
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2010, 04:16:45 AM »
shouldnt the steel reinforcement in the front of the cheeks have the arsenal name stamped there ??
if so this is an reproduction, or ??
Dan Pettersson
a swedish cannon maniac
interested in early bronze guns

better safe than sorry

Offline Terry C.

• I see what you did there...
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2010, 06:17:56 AM »
If the original carriage was broken in 1889 as per DD then this one is most likely a replacement. Looks too good to be a repair.

Offline Max Caliber

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2010, 06:30:10 AM »
That one has provisions for sights, a lot of them didn't. The little howitzer was just one step above a mortar in the accuracy department, but since it fired shell at a high angle it didn't need to be very accurate. It also had a vicious recoil, something like 35 feet or so on level ground unless the wheels were tied together which turned it into a sled.

I don't recall seeing a mountain howitzer with original trunnion plates that had arsenal markings on them like some field guns had.
Max

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2010, 11:15:04 AM »
Max, I've never learned anything about the later Mt. Howitzer carriage trunnion plates not being marked with the arsenal of manufacture, date, and serial no., but I think that the metal work of the gun carriage (early pack carriage) thought to be from the famous mountain howitzer abandoned during the second surveying expedition of John C. Frémont in January 1844, (that was dicovered sometime in 2006) was found to be stamped by Watervliet Arsenal.
Dan, even if the trunnion plate is marked (according to Matt Switlik, an American artillery historian) the stampings are usually totally obscured by successive coats of paint, and I don't think the authorities of the US Park Service would take too kindly to just anyone off the street asking if they could remove the paint to check the marks.
Terry, its possible that the whole stock trail was replaced if it cracked in 1889, but the information about the carriage and limber being original might be right there on the display, or one of the rangers on duty may be able to answer that question (oftentimes these rangers carry a storehouse of knowledge in their heads).
I'm really interested in the limber, because I don't have any photos of an original limber.

RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2010, 12:03:16 PM »
Boom J,
I have not heard that Fremont's howitzer was found.  Can you point me in the right direction to read about it?  I have interest in that gun.
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2010, 12:13:58 PM »
Here is one place to start.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2010, 01:54:45 PM »
Boom J,
I have not heard that Fremont's howitzer was found.  Can you point me in the right direction to read about it?  I have interest in that gun.
Zulu

Zulu,
Not the barrel; but some of the people researching the 'Fremont Howitzer' are fairly certain that some of the hardware from the carriage has been found.

Offline Double D

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2010, 01:58:31 PM »
Here is one place to start.

Click on the word Here in George's post for the link!

Offline Double D

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2010, 02:07:36 PM »
According to the Rangers, w When the carriage of this cannon broke in 1889, the Army repaired it as was still an active piece. The Rangers said in the 1950's or 60's the carriage was again rebuilt as the wood had rotted badly.  They also said the original metal hardware was used for the rebuild.  The only marking that I could fine on the gun or carriage was on the muzzle.  I know I looked...the Rangers let me climb up on their display and look.  I was their first visitor that day, at 3 O'clock in the afternoon.

Offline carronader

• GBO Supporter
  • A Real Regular
  • What? me worry.
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2010, 08:33:19 AM »
Is a damn shame such a first class display is not getting visitors.........what happens in UK , not enough visitors , next thing you know is carted off to LONDON to lie in a basement somewhere,usually never to see the light of day again, not sure about American system...maybe your State system gives some protection from Centralisation.
Scottish by birth and by heart.

Offline Double D

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2010, 11:42:35 AM »
It's winter time, nobody in there right mind goes there in the winter.   Summer, tourist every where