Author Topic: Cast bullet question  (Read 981 times)

Offline TMAKER

• Trade Count: (4)
Cast bullet question
« on: March 31, 2010, 04:41:44 PM »
This may be a stupid question but what is that red or blue stuff in the groves in store bought cast bullets?

Offline Luckyducker

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Cast bullet question
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 04:56:35 PM »
Bullet lube

Offline TMAKER

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 05:05:44 PM »
Is that enough or should more lube be added?

Offline Dezynco

• Trade Count: (38)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 05:47:07 PM »
That is supposed to be enough to keep most of the lead fouling to a minimum.  You may still have to give your barrel a good scrub if you push the velocities.

Offline PawPaw

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 04:18:55 AM »
Aaah, bullet lube.  Lots of discussion about bullet lube.

Quote from: TMAKER
Is that enough or should more lube be added?

There's not enough information in your question to give a good answer.  The short course on lead bullets is that they will leave lead deposits in a barrel, based on a couple of things.  If the bullet isn't sized properly for the bore, you'll get lead.  If the bullet is the wrong strength for the pressure of the cartridge, you'll get lead.  If the bullet runs out of lube before it gets to the end of the barrel, you'll get lead.  If the bullet is driven too fast, you'll get lead.

There are also several ways to apply lubricant to a bullet, based on individual preference.  You can dip, tumble, or apply it by machine.  You can even apply it with your fingers.  Some lubes do better at low velocities, some lubes do better at high velocities.

Generally speaking, for pistol bullets, any lube will do.  I shoot swaged bullets for target work and they're generally coated in mica or graphite, both dry lubes.  These bullets aren't driven hard and the barrel is short, so the lube works fine.  On rifle bullets where I'm going to crank up the velocity, I use other lubes depending on what I'm trying to accomplish.

My favorite lube at the moment is Lee's Liquid Alox.  I put on a thin coat for slow bullets and two coats for rifle bullets.  It works fine for every application I've tried.  I don't drive my cast bullets over 2000 fps, but guys that do drive bullets that fast have their own lube preferences.

There is a whole lot more to your question than you might realize, but generally the lube that comes applied to factory bullets is sufficient for the intended application.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 05:37:50 AM »
I would really like to add to this thread, but PawPaw has covered it pretty well ;) As he has stated, there are a lot of factors to shooting lead successfully, but when you do, you will be rewarded with an accurate round that will not leave lead in your barrel.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline TMAKER

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 04:06:42 PM »
I am only loading 45 Colt and 44 mag at the moment and havent Cronoed them yet. I have been loading jacked only bullets in everything from 38specials to 45-70 and didnt give a second thought to cast untill now. I read John Leinbaughs writings and thought where there is this much smoke I should see what the fire is all about and bought 2 bisleys  to play with. I plan to punch holes into paper untill next deer season. The 44 is scarry accurate and the 45 is so,so. I figured out that the 45 has .454 troats and I need to try some larger bullets than the .452s I have in stock. I am a good listener so any advice is appreciated.

Offline Richard P

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 02:13:03 PM »
    See     Castbulletassoc.org     Join.   Learn.  Enjoy.   Richard

Offline jlchucker

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 03:43:38 AM »
Go to the Cast Boolits website and peruse some of the numerous threads about your calibers. Many of those guys have extensive experience casting and shooting the calibers you mention.  That's a great place to pick up a wealth of info on cast bullets (or Boolits as they call them) on pretty much every gun and caliber under the sun.  They willingly share info, too. 

Online Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 01:43:20 AM »
I could try to explain lube to you but id be here for hours and about have to write a book. Suffice to say just shoot them the way they are and worry about it if you get leading. anyway if i told you all the secrets of bullet lube id have to kill you
blue lives matter

Offline Sweetwater

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • When it ceases to be fun, I shall cease to do it.
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 07:59:13 AM »
Now Lloyd, be nice!  ;) We all know you are just dieing to share your wealth of knowledge.. ;D ;D
Regards,
Sweetwater

Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway - John Wayne

The proof is in the freezer - Sweetwater

Offline 454Puma

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 07:49:10 PM »

TMAKER
 I'm with Llyod on this one- been making my own lube since I started reload 20+ yeras ago! Been shooting cast bullets seem like forever! With good lube and correct sizing to your gun leading will not be a problem and I'm pushing some of my rifle bullets at 2000+ fps!
One shot , One Kill