Author Topic: First 44 Mag Load Advice  (Read 626 times)

Offline gingus

• Trade Count: (0)
First 44 Mag Load Advice
« on: March 23, 2010, 07:21:32 PM »
Setting up my first 44 mag load for my 12" Encore pistol. Wanted to make sure all components are good to go before I start. Here is what I have.

Starline Brass uniformly trimmed to 1.272
Dummy round set up at 1.602 AOL with firm crimp (Lee FCD)
Hornady XTP 240 firm crimped into middle of cannelure
Alliant 2400 at 17.5 grains
WLP primers 

How does this look? Am I ready to load? If not, what changes needed to be made?

Thanks, Gingus

Offline Terbltim

• Avid Poster
Re: First 44 Mag Load Advice
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 01:41:26 AM »
Looks [to me] like you're ready to start shootin'.
You might like the accuracy enough to not change anything for awhile.

Got a chronograph?
If not, put it on the to-do list.
Until you're using a chronograph, the group size is your only source of information.

But then, the group size is what reeeealy matters anyway.
"Stop global whining!"

Offline mdi

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 05:45:30 AM »
Sounds like a good start to me.  I haven't determined a COL for my Contender and I just use the crimp groove, so far. I know you're using jacketed, but for lead bullets I don't use the Lee factory crimp die. It sizes the entire case (and the boolit) when the crimp is applied, and making the boolit undersize for my Puma. I don't have any chambering problems with any of my .44 Mags so finish sizing isn't necessary for me.

Offline Steve P

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 07:20:53 AM »
Was dummy round and OAL set up to fit your barrel?  or the crimp groove in the bullet?  I would be checking fit in the barrel before I load up too many.  If load fits your barrel and Contender locks up good, sounds like you have a good mild load set up for your 44.

Steve :)
"Life is a play before an audience of One.  When your play is over, will your audience stand and applaude, or stay seated and cry?"  SP 2002

Offline gingus

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 12:55:24 PM »
Steve, Yes the dummy round was checked for fit, no problems at all. The crimp that I put on is pretty firm, any issues with a firm crimp on 17.5 grains of 2400? I am setting these up to eventually make up somerounds in 296 after I get "comfortable" with 2400 and quite a few loads. I was not comfortable with 296 for the first run do to the tolerances of that powder, but set my Lee FCD up for a firm xcrimp to accomodate the 296. Again, any issues with the firm crimp on the 2400? Thanks for everyones assistance. Thanks, Gingus

Offline HL

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 05:59:24 AM »
Unless you are also using those rounds in a revolver, there is really no need to crimp. I have never crimped my 44mag contender. Just saying.

Offline Catfish

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 11:36:31 AM »
HL is almost correct, you only need to get the case mouths down enough for easy loading. Another thing, forget there are canalures on the bullets. I very seldom crimp in them. I have found that most gun will shoot better with the bulletts closer to the lands than what you get with the cannalure.

Offline Terbltim

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2010, 03:16:54 AM »
Catfish is giving the straight poop.
No need for a serious crimp when the ammo is for single-shot guns.
A slight crimp is always advisable and I do mean slight!
Remember the purpose of the crimp is/was to hold the bullet in place during the recoil of the other cartridges in the revolver...or while being bumped around in a tube-magazine of the rifle. Both are things that must be considered for that cartridge under ordinary circumstances.
With the single-shot gunz the only purpose served by the crimp is to hold the bullet in place until the powder is well-ignited by the primer. Not much crimp is needed for that.
Some companies even make a taper-crimp die (for the 44 Mag and others) just for such situations.
Seating the bullet out closer to the lands of the rifling [not into the lands] is a "secret" for greater accuracy pioneered by the bench-rest crowd and is well established...for jacketed bullets. (Cast bullets can go right into the rifling.)
Like Catfish said, you can ignore the cannalure and seat the bullet closer to the rifling for top accuracy... if you want to.
Note: If you do change the seating depth, you may also want to adjust the powder charge 'cause you'll be leaving more room in the case which often changes things.
As I mentioned in a previous reply, the load you indicated will probably do just fine. If not, now you'll have several things to think on.
The rest of us are just showing off how much we've learned about this stuff. Enjoying the gun and ammo ain't really hard to do.
Learning all the other stuff is part of the fun too... for most of us.
"Stop global whining!"

Offline P.A. Myers

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (65)
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2010, 12:38:35 PM »
I worked up to 20.5 of 2400. It is a published loading but huge blast and plenty of recoil. Chronos about 1550. Your load sounds good. I very much disagree on the lite crimp. The main reason for a firm crimp is to aid ignition. Bullet crawl is secondary.
“Never give in, never give in, never; never; never; never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty -
never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense”
 Winston Churchill

Offline gingus

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 11:22:42 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions and advice! I did have the opportunity to touch off 10 of the loads this weekend. As you can see I am typing with two intact hands, so all went well!! Very mild loads, grouped well (not a big concern at this point, but nice) and got me excited about the next batch. The only question (or maybe concern) that I have is I was getting some residual powder "burn" (if thats the proper term) around the leading edge of the rim. My thought is that the loads (17.5 grains of 2400) were not sufficiently expanding the cases and allowing some blowback. There was also some on the face of the breach. Is this correct? Any concerns there before I step up to 18 or 18.5 grains? Thanks, Gingus

Offline mikemayberry

• Contributor
    • http://www.trosperarchery.org
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 12:58:58 AM »
Gingus, I have a similar setup with the 12 inch barrel in .44 magnum.  

Have succeeded with 2400 with very good accuracy and am dabbling a bit now with H110 to see if I can get a cleaner burn.

Mid-range loads are fun to shoot out of this barrel and plenty powerful enough to hunt with for most of the animals I hunt.

Frankly, it is proving to be the most accurate of my .44 magnums, and much more so than my other two 12 inch barrels in two other calibers.

Keep us posted how it is going.

Added:  BTW the other day at the range I shot 3 rounds of Hornady's 225 gr. Leverevolution through this same barrel just to see what it would do.  It had a completely different POI (expected) than my 250 gr. Keith loads.  It also left a significant powder residue at the chamber mouth that I discovered when I broke open the barrel (unexpected).

MM
In the absence of factual information, the voids will be filled with the worst possible scenario!

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2010, 01:08:23 AM »
Very often, powder streaks down the side of the case and blow by indicates low pressure. Which does not hurt any thing, just some more clean up of the gun and cases. From what you described it think it would be OK to start increasing the powder in steps. What are you looking for accuracy or velocity? Personally I would shoot groups and then determine your best load from the group sizes shot. If you are looking for the highest velocity, then you should run your loads over a chronograph to determine your maximum safe load. An Encore should be able to handle any thing the case can - in other words, if you keep the 44 inside of it's pressure limits you will be safe.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline gingus

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2010, 05:37:48 PM »
Thanks for the replies Gents! I will step up to 18 or 18.5 and see if that resolves the blow back, I'm thinking it will. I have also had similiar blow back (not to this extent) with the Hornady FTX 225's. The grouping at 50 yards was exceptional with the 17.5 grains, so I was all smiles. The FTX's at 100 yards group much better then I'm able to shoot, so I was very pleased with their accuracy. I have to admit, it was very pleasnt to shoot these mild loads, but am interested in testing some loads a little more stout as I build experience and a better understanding of handloads. Thanks again for the assistance, I'll keep you posted. Thanks, Gingus