Author Topic: Wanted: Your opinions on Dixie Gun Works mortar  (Read 3654 times)

Offline mac266

• Trade Count: (0)
Wanted: Your opinions on Dixie Gun Works mortar
« on: April 10, 2010, 05:49:47 PM »
Ok everyone, I've been wanting to get into this artillery thing for years now; I first became interested about 7 years ago.  The start-up cost of buying or building a cannon has proven to be my biggest bane.  Sooooooo....I'm going to start out with a Coehorn mortar.  

Dixie Gun Works sells a full-scale (12 pounder) mortar barrel for $395.  It has a 2 1/4 inch bore, is cast in iron, but has a 1/2" steel liner.  They sell the hardware kit (which includes plans to build the wooden base) for another $230.  It is purported to be a good Civil War era replica.

Here is a link to the mortar: http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_106_665&products_id=1650

And a link to the hardware kit:   http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_106_666&products_id=1651

My question is:  Since I am new to the artillery game, what is your opinion on this piece?  Safe to shoot?  Historically accurate (assuming I follow the plans correctly)?  Worth the time and money?  Anything else you can think of?
MAC

NRA Member and Certified Instructor
SASS Member
Pikes Peak Firearms Coalition Member

"Courage is almost a contradiction in terms.  It means a strong desire to live, taking the form of readiness to die."  - G.K. Chesterson

Offline GGaskill

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: Wanted: Your opinions on Dixie Gun Works mortar
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 06:11:23 PM »
That is probably a Hern Iron Works product.  Check their web site.  A full scale Coehorn mortar fires 12 pounder 24 pounder shell which is about 4.5" about 5.62" in diameter, not 2 1/4".  It is also about 200 lbs, not 80 lbs.  Barrel OD is 8.65" and overall length is 16.32".

This may be an OK piece but don't be fooled into thinking it is really full size.

Yeah, 5.62" is for 24 pounder.
GG
“If you're not a liberal at 20, you have no heart; if you're not a conservative at 40, you have no brain.”
--Winston Churchill

Offline mac266

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 06:25:01 PM »
^Pard, my research tells me you're giving dimensions for the 24 pounder.  There was a less common 12 pounder used mostly by the Confederates (but some Union), designed to be carried by 2 men instead of 4.
MAC

SASS Member

"Courage is almost a contradiction in terms.  It means a strong desire to live, taking the form of readiness to die."  - G.K. Chesterson

Offline daninwyoming

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 06:45:45 PM »
There are some real nice people in South Central Nebraska that could probably help you out. They are in the McCook area. They have some mortars they built and I think they are shooting about a 5" ball. They are real nice pieces and can probably fit your needs. I see you are in Colo Spgs.

Offline mac266

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 07:05:46 PM »
^Aha.  I permanantly live in Colorado Springs, but the Army Reserves have called me to active duty.  I'm at the Pentagon all this year.  I will probably start buying up all the materials (barrel, hardware kit, etc.) while I'm here, have them shipped to Colorado Springs (family still there), and begin the build upon my return...

...and, "I shall return."  Hahahaha, sorry, I had to.
MAC

SASS Member

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 07:30:12 PM »
^Pard, my research tells me you're giving dimensions for the 24 pounder.  There was a less common 12 pounder used mostly by the Confederates (but some Union), designed to be carried by 2 men instead of 4.

The Confederate 12 PDR didn't look like the Federal coehorn. Here is a drawing of the Confederate 12 PDR. 

There is only supposed to be one survivor and that one is at VMI I believe.

That description by Dixie is fanciful at best.  I have never heard of a CW, Federal pattern 12 Pattern, has anyone else? 12 PDR bore diameter is 4.62 inches, 24 PDR bore is 5.82.   THe dixe  gun is from hern Iron works, and is suposed to be full scale with reduced bore.

If you are at the Pentagon, go out to Fort Shenandoah-Winchester  in May for the National shoot. Ever seen 70+  full scale black powder mortars on a line and firing all at onece?  Someone always has a Mortar  for sale.

Did you see the 24 PDR for sale in the GBO classifieds.

Offline Double D

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 07:47:14 PM »
Have you looked at our sponsor Popcan size mortars.  Shot 2.6 diameter pop can filled with cement or cast zinc round ball.  Finding balls to shot in the 2 1/4 bore- 2.194 with correct windage, is going to be tough. Our sponsors can provide you with  a round ball mould.

Offline mac266

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2010, 09:29:24 PM »
ARRRGGGHHH!!!!

Thanks for your replies, Double D.  It sounds like the DGW mortar is NOT for me. 

Here is what I want:  A full scale mortar that is historically accurate to the Civil War, either side.  I'm ok with a 24 pounder; i.e. I'm NOT set on a 12 pounder.  For cost savings I want to buy the barrel and build the base. 

What do you suggest?
MAC

SASS Member

Offline Double D

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 03:08:27 AM »
I just suggested up thread, that you go to Ft Shenandoah and visit Sutler's Row.  The nationals are May 19th - 23.  The Mortar Matches are on Friday from 4PM to 5 PM. As you wonder around Sutler's Row, just ask for a Mortar for sale, you'll find one.

http://www.n-ssa.org/NATIONAL/2010/preliminaryprogramMay2010.pdf

Also look right here on our GBO Cannon classified board  rampa room artillery has two for sale, rampa room artillery, http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,195357.0.html 

You should also check with our sponsors and see see what they can come up with for you. http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,2814.0.html

A visit to Ft Shenandoah will be very educational and well worth the trip

Offline dynomike1x1

• Avid Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2010, 04:41:52 AM »
Aw hell go on and get you a an Armour77 pool ball cohorn morter, you can get pool balls cheap, besides he stands behind them you dont need a kit to build a base it's pretty simple. Some times i melt lead but i just barley have time t shoot right now. From now till Jully 1st. is our busy season.
There are very few probablms that can't be solved with explosives.
2/115FA

Offline rampa room artillery

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2010, 01:27:45 PM »
well if its a mortar you want then you should PM me, and we will talk. I am two True full scale 24lb coehorn mortars. ready to shoot  balls powder ammo box. they are not finished yet the barrels are still at the machine shop but will be ready soon.
 and will come with N-SSA inspection papers of safety and accuracy.  NO cheap all thread here . all correct bolts.

rick bryan
N-SSA

PS there were no union 12 lb mortars unless you count the tree stump one. and there is no picture of a confederate 12lb mortar either. 

Offline Double D

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2010, 02:29:38 PM »
There is a 12 PDR Confederate pattern mortar in the Museum at VMI.  Civil war buffs argue the provenance of this mortar almost as much they argue about the war.   It's never been proven the VMI mortar is real, but it also has never been proven it is not. 

It is widely reported that the Confederates made 12 PDR's, just no verifiable examples exist.