Author Topic: 8mm ammo  (Read 754 times)

Offline bruceg

• Trade Count: (0)
8mm ammo
« on: December 21, 2009, 02:49:14 PM »
Recently I was given 100 rounds of 8mm ammunition which I've got to believe is surplus of some sort.  It was "given" to a gentleman who had it given to him and it just sat around in his gun vault for a number of years.  Being that it was known that I recently acquired a K98k my friend passed this ammo on to me.  The rounds are all in stripper clips packaged in four stripper clips per package.  The package is what I would call "grocery sack" material and tied up with twine.  The rounds themselves are bright brass and copper....probably because they've not been exposed to air.  The primer end is stamped with 21 RPR  56.  Can some knowledgable ammo guru educate me about what I have here?  I appreciate any help you can give me.  Many THANKS.

Offline royalranger

Re: 8mm ammo
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 05:10:47 AM »
if the are 8x57 it could be any one I am not a ammo gru  but if the ammo is 8 mauser shoot them and scrub the bore probably corrosive 

Offline securitysix

• A Real Regular
Re: 8mm ammo
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 02:06:11 PM »
According to this, it's Romanian.  I'm guessing the 56 is year of manufacture (the 21 is the plant number it was made in). 

I can't comment on quality as I've not had the chance to pick up any of the Romanian 8mm out there.  I would assume, though, that it is corrosive, and clean accordingly.