Author Topic: Green Mountain Barrels  (Read 876 times)

Offline greenrivers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Green Mountain Barrels
« on: July 11, 2011, 10:09:16 AM »
I just got off the phone with Green Mountain pricing a .50 caliber barrel in a 1 in 78 twist for round ball. I intend to keep my .54 for maxi's, but would like to find a deeper rifled barrel for round ball. Have any of you any experiance with there barrels for this use? The price seems right and it is an easy drive to pick one up.
Also asked if they had any availability of lapped barrels and was told they did not.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
Re: Green Mountain Barrels
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 10:44:59 AM »
The ones I've owned were excellent shooters.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline bubba.50

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (151)
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 11:03:11 AM »
i have the fast twist long range hunter in 50cal and the slow twist 54cal on my renegades and i love them both. can't tell ya much on the r/b question though as i shoot lee r.e.a.l. bullets in my slow twist guns. nothin' against'em except hard to load after first shot just never been a big roundball fan. anyway, both barrels are as or more accurate than i am. for what it's worth and luck friend, bubba.
fetch the hammer maggie-they's a bee on the baby's head!

Offline Forestclimber

• Trade Count: (38)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 01:43:37 PM »
I have more than one.  I also put Davis replacement triggers on my T/C rifles.  It takes about 5 minutes to change them.  You can get them at Track Of The Wolf.  My 58 caliber Renegade is fun to shoot gongs with.

Offline ratdog

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 11:39:29 PM »
 ;) a real nice replacement barrel shoot real nice and accurate.

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 10:05:51 AM »
I've used lots of GM barrels over the years, both on my own guns and as replacement barrels for other folks and neither I nor any of my friends have any complaints. Sometimes they are a bit rough on top of the lands with reamer marks running across the tops and need to either be lapped or shot a lot to smooth out and stop cutting patches but that's the worst I could say for them. Quite a few owners of T/C rifles have gotten the GM "drop-in" replacement barrels from GreenMountain and I've never heard of anyone being disappointed. If I were given a T/C rifle the first thing I'd do is replace the barrel with a GM.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline greenrivers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 12:11:19 PM »
Thanks for the help guys, sounds like a good barrel. I forsee one in my near future. (Like next week.) I just got back from the Trading Post and picked up a RB mold for the .54. Should not have gone. They have a Cimeron Navy .36 new for a really good price and you know how that goes. I did resist enough to get out of the store without it, but...... The .50 GM barrel first. I already have the MB for a .50. I will post the results with both Maxi and RB soon.