Author Topic: Hunting Cabins?  (Read 2838 times)

Offline markc

• Trade Count: (0)
Hunting Cabins?
« on: December 31, 2009, 02:02:14 PM »
I saw a TV commercial on an outdoor channel talking about a guy having a hunting shack, that appeared to me to be a palace!  So I might be the only one interested in this, but I thought I would begin a thread with pics of hunting cabins.  So here's mine in the hill country, and in the back ground, the one just 10 miles from my house.  If you can, post up a pic of the cabin/house/shack/ motel, or palace you stay in when you go hunting..

markc

Offline Mohawk

Re: Hunting Cabins?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 06:09:28 AM »
  I'll post a picture of ours in Marble Falls when I go next week. But, in short, ours started as a large storage building. The kind you can buy at Home Depot or Lowes. Just add cheap carpet, portable cooking range, mini-fridge, microwave, window AC unit, entertainment center, bunk beds, futon, and chairs and you have a luxury hunting cabin!

Offline Gun Runner

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 06:06:19 PM »
At one of the private camps near me, they let the Girl Scouts build a cabin. It is an "A" frame that you can open both side of the "A" up. Each side is hinged about 4 feet from the bottom all the way across. Inside it set up with bunk frames 3 high, and 3 rows to make room for 18 bunks, plus there is a wood heater, and a space to store stuff. Outside their was tables and benches and a cook area. Several outhouses some yards away. Dont know when this was built but weather and time have taken its toll on it, Great place to take a metal detector to. Lot of sq nails laying around and bunch of metal cans.

Gun Runner

Offline markc

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 03:44:38 AM »
Gun runner, that sounds very interesting.  I have a metal detector, inexpensive one, that I've used a few times around an old homestead or two.  Never found much,  but it is an enjoyable way to spend some time..Got any pics of the girlscout cabin?

Mohawk, that brown cabin in the top photo was built on site, by a company out of Houston of all places.  It was intended as storage, but after sealing up the multitude of cracks and crevaces, putting down carpet, and adding a heater, it has served well these past 2 seasons. This summer, it will get a window AC unit added.  We are also considering enlarging it, or building a completely new larger cabin, and using that one as a cook shack only, or a place for guests to bunk.
markc

Offline Gun Runner

• Trade Count: (33)
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 06:55:40 PM »
markc, right now the cabin (what little is left of it) is under about 6 ft of snow. Dont think theres gonna be much left after this winter.

Gun Runner

Offline RHM

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 02:21:39 PM »
This is a friend's ranch in South Texas.  Funny story to the main house.  My friend told the contractor who was building it she wanted it finished in sandstone.  She travels back to S. TX when he calls to say the house is done, astonished, she asks, "what is this?!  I said 'sandstone!'"  He replies in a heavy accent, "I thought you said 'Flintstone.'"

Guest quarters (1960s vintage Airstream done up inside in an art-deco style, and an old caboose...there's also a semi-domesticated, formerly wild, 400+ lbs hog inside the pen that surrounds the guest housing):

Ranch vehicles (as if you don't think she's a bit eccentric, already!):

It was a hunt to always remember.  I think my little sister is going back there in a couple weeks, and I hope to go back late next month.  The owner's husband, not being much of a hunter himself, put down a challenge for our next trip to all go out in the morning with a handgun and a cup full of corn and see who brings home dinner.  I just hope the weather is cool enough to keep the snakes away; when you arrive, they hand out snake chaps and COATS!

Offline markc

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 06:55:37 AM »
RHM, that is some kind of funny. "I thought you said flintstone."   LOL   Very nice place your friends have there.  Yeah, we are stocking up on snake chaps for our place.  Even though I've not seen a single snake in the 2 years we've been out there, I would rest easier if guests were wearing them.   I really like that large car port.  I want to have one built on our place real soon, but fencing the front of the ranch comes next.   
markc