Author Topic: Interest Piqued too Soon on New Firearms  (Read 550 times)

Offline Texgun

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
Interest Piqued too Soon on New Firearms
« on: May 03, 2010, 04:19:47 AM »
Interest Piqued too Soon on New Firearms

I just thought that I would pass on a little bit of info about a new model of pistol and its availability. A friend got a new Guns and Ammo magazine that features a new .380 caliber pistol. It is the Sig-Sauer 238. The magazine shows the same gun in about a dozen different configurations. The colors, weights, metallurgy, and furniture (grips and accessories like rails for lasers etc.) vary from model to model. My friend is all hot to get his paws on one and is serious about making a purchase.

The same sort of manufacturing deficiencies appear to be happening that occurred with the .327 Federal. Academy, Cabela’s, and online distributors don’t have any. They can only get a couple each week because the big distributors can’t get any from the manufacturers.

This method of marketing is the opposite of any sales techniques I’ve ever read about. All the hype has the dealers and consumers buzzing with anticipation but there is no product is available. I have always thought that the idea was to strike while the iron is hot. The way they drag it out, half the people who want to buy one now, will have cooled off before they can make a purchase.

Another friend felt the same way about the .327 Federal when he read about it. He was ready to shell out for it just a few months ago but now the desire to buy is gone. Oh well, a lot of things don’t make sense to me but some things seem down right stupid.

A great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.
-- Walter Bagehot

Offline Curtis

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (65)
Re: Interest Piqued too Soon on New Firearms
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 09:31:50 AM »
The exact same thing happened to my desire for the LCP 380.  I got on the waiting list, got bumped off by my dealer for not returning his call (I never got a message), but I think the real reason was that everyone on the list was locked in at his quoted price of $299 before he found out he could get $100 over retail for the few that were dribbling in.  I'm sure I'm not the only one that got bumped.

Anyway, by the time I could get an LCP my interest had waned and I had moved on to other things.  Their loss.

Curtis
Lord, please help me to be half the man my dogs think I am.

Contender in 17 Rem, 22lr, 22k Hornet, 223 Rem, 256 WM, 6TCU, 7TCU, 7-30, 30 Herrett, 300 Whisper, 30-30 AI, 357 mag, 357 Herrett, 375 JDJ, 44 mag, 45/410..... so far.

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 10:03:26 AM »
It's something firearms manufacturers have been doing for a long time.  Actually, you see it in many products.  Used to be it took many months before the word of a new and exciting product (gun) had spread via magazine articles and word of mouth.  Now, with the internet, and the electric information highway in general, new products are being reported on and hawked while they are still in the developmental stage.  Seems by the time they are released in number, they are "old news".

I like Corvettes (can't afford a new one..)  There is so much hype over the past several years about the development of the soon to be released new generation car that by the time it comes out, a lot of people will be kind of yawning, wondering when the NEW new car will come along...  Same thing with guns.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline williamlayton

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 07:58:26 PM »
Ben Franklin, or was it Mark Twain ? , not sure but I digress, whoever said "don't be the first or the last" and I will go with whoever.
Like cars, it is common too test the waters too see what the interest is. There is a buch of money to be tied up in new toolings.
Ford is doing that with the new Mustang and the super six cylinder motor and the redesigned body.
It will come out in 2011 but I will not consider this first production. I will wait until I can see some results and what bugs need too be exterminated.
Course, in many ways I wish I had bought one of the new 1964's and still had it.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD