Author Topic: 2 questions on Wandering POAim?  (Read 624 times)

Offline Canuck Bob

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
2 questions on Wandering POAim?
« on: April 03, 2010, 01:53:47 PM »
Years ago, my only experience, variable scopes had a nasty habit of "wandering crosshairs" when the variable function was used.  Has this been eliminated in modern scopes, or who makes scopes that don't do this?

With quick release rings, in my case a Ruger #1, how well can a person expect the POA to remain constant with scope removal and return?

Offline Dee

• Trade Count: (2)
Re: 2 questions on Wandering POAim?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 02:06:00 PM »
A quality scope will hold zero regardless of change of magnification. A cheap scope usually won't regardless for any period of time. You get what you pay for.
Quick release MOUNTS, some will and some won't. Once again, you get what you pay for.
You may all go to hell, I will go to Texas. Davy Crockett

Offline hillbill

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 02:18:35 PM »
wandering poa is just a symptom of a scope with something wrong with it.almost all my scopes are variable and ive not had that problem except with ones that were broken.i do however have some cheap scopes that have worked fine for years.optics have come a long way in last 20 yrs!ive no experience with quick release mounts.i do know, as dee said, with mechanical things of that nature, yu get what yu pay for id imagine.

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 02:29:51 PM »
What band and model scope did you have when you experienced the problem?

Why do you want to remove your scope from your rifle?

Offline Canuck Bob

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 03:32:37 PM »
I'm waiting on delivery of a new rifle, Ruger #1A in 303 British. 

I've just returned to the shooting sports and was worried that these problems were still occuring.  My choices are probably a Leupold model 1.5-4X20, maybe the VX-3 version.  Also the Nikon African 1-4X20.  I've also considered Burris and Sightron but know zero about thier products.

Availability here in Canada almost makes the Leupold the clear winner.  Right now it is not easy to get a scope up from the US.  No complaint though, anything to keep quality hardware out of the hands of the enemy.

Offline diggler1833

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 11:49:10 PM »
You generally will expose yourself to a few problems with cheaper optics.  Wandering zero's with magnification change is one of them.  I have experienced it with a couple of the cheaper Bushnells and one BSA that I've bought over the years.  One thing to do to find out before it becomes a real hassle is to shoot a round on your lowest magnification, and then every couple of power as you increase to your maximum magnification.  You should be able to tell if it is happening by comparing that to groups fired at a set magnification.

I've also seen a few of the removable mounts.  Most work pretty well actually (I'd limit my hunting to fairly close range if I were to be removing my scope often without confirmation shots of its zero when I replaced the scope).  I have seen one guy who had a .375 H&H with one of the "brand new" Leupold quick detach removable rings.  About every 3 shots the scope would detach itself from the rifle and the guy would have to catch it before it hit the ground.  Next time I saw him he had Talley rings IIRC.  They were pretty dependable on keeping zero.

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 12:18:46 AM »
Bob-

Like anything else, you tend to get what you pay for.  That said, all the scope brands you mention are good choices.  For the most part, I use Leupold scopes on most of my rifles, and am 100% satisfied.  There are a few brands that may be brighter, but at a lot more cost, and with no increase in durability.

I have two rifles with quick detach mounts, a Kimber 84 in 308, and a Winchester #70 in 375 H&H.  Both are Warne mounts, and have no trouble staying secure, and returning to reasonable zero when removed and remounted.  Reasonable to me means about an inch.

I have numerous Ruger and CZ firearms with the detachable factory rings, and have found they work well.  There is a company (don't remember the name) that makes metal levers to replace the nuts on the factory rings that helps with quick removal and re-mounting.  I have found that most factory mounts like the Ruger can be pretty repeatable R/E zero.  The key is to try to mount the scope with consistency, wit the same amount of "tightness".  Most of my Rugers can be counted on to re-mount within a couple inches at 100 yards.  Not well suited to target or precision long range, but good enough for most any normal hunting.  I have a half dozen rifles, and 2 revolvers, that I keep a pre-sighted scope for, in detachable rings, just in case.  The second, back-up scope need not be expensive; a $100 Bushnell Trophy is fine.  Its cheap insurance when you are traveling, and easier then carrying a second rifle on long trips.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....