Author Topic: fixed full choke 20 gauge  (Read 483 times)

Offline tobyboy

• Trade Count: (0)
fixed full choke 20 gauge
« on: April 11, 2010, 02:20:56 PM »
hi yall got a pardner turkey gun for this season  my first turkey season.  besides birdshot and turkey load would it be ok shooting #3 buck or rifled slug down the fixed full choke?  i have another 2o gauge cyl bore but was wondering if it would be ok on the turkey gun? thanks

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: fixed full choke 20 gauge
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 02:25:31 PM »
yes, it will work fine and will not hurt the gun at all. I would suggest no steel shot....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline tobyboy

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 03:54:20 PM »
ok thanks yea i been reading around and some people say its ok and some say dont do it bulge or even blow up the end?

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 04:45:05 PM »
That will never happen now-a-days. Modern slugs are sized to fit ALL chokes, Modern rifled slugs will size down to fit the bore. Old fashioned round "pumpkin balls" (the precursor to new rifled slugs) may have hurt an overly tight muzzle constriction but that was many years ago. "Pumpkin balls" are no longer commercially loaded. You are GTG and it is safe. Many here, including myself, have done it with no problems....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley