Author Topic: How to carry when in a dress shirt?  (Read 1334 times)

Offline verzilli

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Avid Poster
How to carry when in a dress shirt?
« on: March 09, 2010, 04:10:30 AM »
Greetings to all!  I am considering CCW, but i only have an SP101 (which I LOVE).  70% of the time, I'm dressed in business casual: dress shirt, tie, slacks.  I know I can easily carry when I'm wearing a big "Hawaiin" shirt, or light jacket, etc.

What firearm would work best with my "dress" outfit?  T 

Offline GeneRector

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: How to carry when in a dress shirt?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 04:58:36 AM »
 :) Howdy! Check out the small lightweight Kel-Tec pistols or the S&W lightweight revolvers. They can easily fit in you pocket. Always, Gene

Happy Trails!
Always,
Gene Rector
Endowed NRA Life Member

Offline the jigger

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 06:33:42 AM »
Complete your "dress" ensemble with a sport coat. That was my solution until I retired.
IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!!

Offline Bigeasy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 07:00:47 AM »
Its a little harder with a tucked shirt, and no jacket.  Belly band holsters, that are elastic, and go under the shirt work, but are not very comfortable.  Ankle rigs also work, but can be awkward if you have to run.  You want a baggy pants leg for easy draw.  I have a Ruger LCP that I often carry in my sock.  I wear a tall athletic tube type sock, and stuff the gun in the sock.  It works well.  My choice would be a compact auto, like a Ruger LCP, a Kel-Tek .380, or maybe a Kahr .9mm carried in a leather pocket holster.  I breaks up the outline of the gun (looks like a wallet) and prevents wear to your pockets.  Most models have a suede out finish that allows the holster to stay in the pocket when you draw.  A lot of guys like snub nose revolvers, but I think they are a little to "fat" for pants pocket carry.

Larry
Personal opinion is a good thing, and everyone is entitled to one.  The hard part is separating informed opinion from someone who is just blowing hot air....

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 07:02:21 AM »
An airweight S&W in a pocket holster works great .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline verzilli

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 07:24:03 AM »
Thanks for the input guys.  A sport coat does work, but it's on and off frequently.  I'll start looking into different guns.  As long as I know there are options.  Now to explain a new gun purchase to my wife...

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 07:55:55 AM »
call the SP-101 hers  ;D

Offline verzilli

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 09:35:48 AM »
Excellent SHOOTALL!

Offline gwhilikerz

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 10:26:17 AM »
I'm sure you are all getting tired of me promoting the Hip-Grip but I like it. When wearing a tucked in shirt I just slide the "hook part of the grip between my belt and slacks. That puts the gun a little deeper on my waist and all you can see is about half of the gun's grip. I then loosen my shirt at that point and sort of tuck it over the gun. Total concealment and still easy to get to. Tug on the shirt, draw the weapon.

Offline spruce

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 01:31:57 PM »
Something like the Kel-tec or Ruger .380 or a lightweight, bobbed hammer S&W J-frame .38 in a pocket holster. 
With the contemporary dress slack styles (read that slightly baggy) no one will ever know it's there.

If you go with the revolver make sure it's a LIGHTWEIGHT model, not a steel frame model.  The difference between 12 or 13 ounces and 19 or 20 ounces doesn't sound like much until you've carried it for 8 hours and then it's a BIG difference!

Offline Empty Quiver

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 03:42:37 PM »
Might want to try a Smith J frame in a pocket holster. The airlites or scandium won't be pulling your pants off.
**Concealed Carry...Because when seconds count help is only minutes away**

Offline shot1

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2010, 03:58:23 PM »
I carry a Kel-tec 380 in a pocket holster all the time. Tonight at one of the handgun carry permit classes I help teach I got to see and handle one of the new double action only Ruger polymer frame 38 special revolvers. Man those things are light. They would be the thing for an ankle holster but might be a little large in a front pocket. They have a really smooth light trigger pull also.

Offline zackyholdem

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2010, 04:28:11 PM »
i'd think about trying out an ankle holster before you buy another gun, the main thing in a self defense situation is that you be comfortable with your weapon and if you comfortable with your sp101 then i would stick with it.
When freedom shivers in the cold shadow of true peril, Its always the patriots who first hear the call. - Charlton Heston

Handi's -30-06, 223 Ultra, 7mm-08, 44 mag, 45-70, 17hmr, Tracker II 12ga, Pardner 10ga (2)12ga's and .410

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2010, 07:57:17 PM »
Get a light weight sweater or sweater shirt. They are dress casual and do the job.
When I worked---whenever that was, it is an experience I try and forget  :-*--- I frequently wore a sweater in the office--matter of fact--I would hang up the coat and opt for the sweater.
I rarely carried in the office but I dress that way now and do carry that way.
Blessings
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline John R.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2010, 03:38:13 AM »
Check into a Crossbreed supertuck holster for whatever semi-auto you choose. I can hide a XD 45 with ease, a Ruger LCP will disappear.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2010, 03:54:24 AM »
When i got my lic to carry - tried a 1911 , then a S&W compact 45 acp so new i had to have a holster made , then a sig 225 , then a sig 239 and 230 , a 3 inch mod 19 with night sights and comp ,then several others . Well all had faults so at some point they stayed in the truck. Then i took a self defense class for instructors . The instructor had spent time in both the Middle East and South America teaching VIP protection . He carried a j frame 38 . I tried one and have never looked back.

i

Offline larryrlc

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2010, 04:35:45 AM »
I carry a Khar CW9,CW40 or a CW45 in a split decision holster made by High Noon Holsters. I have a box full of different holsters that I tried, and the splt decision with the shirt tucked in is the best I have found.
                  larry

Offline camsdaddy

• Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2010, 10:06:53 AM »
Look into Smartcarry. I carry a M38 S&W or a Glock 26 daily no one is the wiser. Also check into Comtac or Crossbreed one or the other offers a tuckable for the SP101. There are lots of ways to make it work. I would say that the 2" would be easier than the 3" in the Smartcarry but either would work.

Offline Frank V

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2010, 05:44:20 PM »
El Paso Saddlery makes an IWB holster that's designed so you can tuck your shirs over the belt clip. I believe Galco makes one too. I've used both & while they aren't the handiest holster to use they do work. I think if I were in your situation I'd scrimp & save till I could get a S&W mos 60 (stainless 5 shot) & carry it in my front pocket. Most dress trousers are pretty generously cut in the pockets & that would work very well. Keep exploring possibilities & you will  come on the soloution that suits you.
Frank
" U.S.A. RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"

Offline Mike in Virginia

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2010, 03:15:38 PM »
Even in August, I wear someting that covers my gun.  Lightweight nylon jackets are available, as well as cotton vests.  If you bury the thing to deeply, it might not be quickly retrievable.  Usually, I don't use a holster at all; just tuck it in my pants.  A 1911 is especially easy to carry like that.   

Offline John R.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2010, 05:18:52 AM »
It's also especially easy to lose, or move to someplace you don't want it. Don't get me wrong, I've carried a gun stuck in the waistband before, but I don't do it anymore. I was in a restraunt one time, and my 1911 almost fell out of my waistband when I got up to go to the bathroom. Luckily I pinned it to my side before things got embarrassing.

Offline Mike in Virginia

« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2010, 05:33:06 PM »
Remember the little Colt .380 that looked like a scaled down 1911?  Can't think of the name of it right now, but I had one many, many years ago.  Even back then, I was doing the no holster thing.  Somehow, the gun worked upward while I was driving, and when I got out of my car in the K Mart parking lot, it fell to the pavement.  That was way back before cc permits were available (I was a rookie cop).  People turned to gape as I fumbled around trying to pick it up and get it out of sight.  I was too embarrassed to go in the store.  So, yes, a gun tucked in the belt ain't the safest way, but it's convenient.  I'm still doing it.  Other than that once incident, I've never had a problem with my 1911 moving.

I think someone ought to start a thread about stupid/embarrassing moments they've had related to cc.  I'd open such a thread myself, but I'm scared I'd be the only one posting.  I've had a gun in my hands or within reach for more than 40 years, and I admit to a few blunders, but that's all I'll say until someone else 'fesses up. 

Offline cvixx

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2010, 03:23:41 PM »
I have not tried any but have sure been thinking of buying...one of those heavyweight T-shirts with a holster sewn under the shoulder.  You might have to look like Clark Kent ripping your shirt open, but it still seems like a good concept.

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2010, 09:53:27 AM »
I always wear pants when i have a shirt on so i just have a gun for my front pocket . As off the wall as it might seem it works really well.

Offline tony212

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2010, 04:15:55 AM »
Galco makes a holster called the Ultra Deep Cover.  It goes in your waistband, has a hook that catches on your belt, and you tuck your shirt into the space betwqeen the hook and the holster. I have one for my J frame and it works pretty well.  If you go to their website you can see pictures of it.
Tony212