Author Topic: Who is ready for spring Turkey????  (Read 585 times)

Offline DaveH

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Who is ready for spring Turkey????
« on: April 07, 2010, 07:00:22 AM »
The Wife and I are going to the eastern shore of Maryland to hunt this spring season.

Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Who is ready for spring Turkey????
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 07:07:24 AM »
I am..I am...I am!!! ;D 8 days and counting!! Gonna try and change my luck after two dry years in a row, upgrading my 1940 H&R with sights and will test the 2¾" Federal Flitecontrol #6 in it as soon as I can. I switched to a 20ga TDC year before last and haven't even heard a tom let alone seen one since I did, maybe a change of guns will help. We've been hunting on private land for 15yrs and never had this kind of luck two years in a row, even if we didn't get a bird, we always heard and/or saw them.  :-\

Best of luck this season to everyone.  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Kal52

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 08:16:51 AM »
Im not an avid turkey hunter, I just wait for my buddy to call and tell me when the bird is going on the grill and the beer is cold!!  ;D

Good luck fellas, get after em, and make sure to post pics!

Dave

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 10:00:13 AM »
May 1st here in N.Y. and you can only hunt until 12 noon I have the 1st-9th off. contacted the land owner of my every other year gimmie spot and this is the year. Going with the 20ga TDC this year as the kid wants the mossy 835.
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga

Offline wreckhog

• Trade Count: (55)
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 10:13:57 AM »
Been seeing them in my driveway. Guess that will stop about 4/30. In which case I plan to walk down the hill where they roost in a certain tree. Does that count as ready? :)

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 10:57:00 AM »
Less than a month away for me. I'll be hunting with a mod choke 16 gauge H&R Topper 88. I have to pattern some more ammo but the stuff I tried so far works well out to 30 yards so I'll go with that if I have to. I haven't scouted much yet but hope to get out this weekend. I have to go for surgery on April 19 to fix a hernia so hopefully I'll be healed up enough by May 3 to be out in the woods.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 11:22:17 AM »
doublebass73 take it easy healing up from the surgery if the hernia pops again they will have to go back in and stitch in a screen you will be down even longer.
                                                              410ga

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 11:26:23 AM »
Ditto what spikehorn said, I thought I was feeling great 3 weeks after my hernia surgery, hurt myself when I kicked a ball playing with the kids, really set me back, so don't push it, and that was when I was young!!  ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Daman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
  • Me and Papa's first double!!!
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 03:54:31 PM »
Good luck fellas. I have only been able to go out 5 times so far. I have had the old tom I have been chasing walk all over me 3 times with out allowing me a decent shot. I did see 7 toms strutting in a field that I got permission to hunt this season. May try them Saturday morning, but I don't know since my little buddy wants to go with me I may just take him out behind the house where I have been hearing a couple. I gotta feeling he ain't gonna like being away from Granny to long. If he backs out those 7 better watch out!!!

Daman
Live simple. Hunt Hard. Love Life.

I thank God everyday for my loving wife and all the fond memories of hunting with my Papa from a child until now.

Please take time to take a kid hunting, it will be a life long memory and blessing for both of you!

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 04:28:27 PM »
There is an old long beard that has been playing with me for years up across the road from my house. the closest I ever got to him was about 70 yards and he was coming into my decoy when I got winded by a deer. This is one of the reasons I try to reduce the deer population as much as possible during deer season. They infuriate me during turkey season. Well good luck to all.
                                                              410ga

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 05:13:18 PM »
I'll definitely take it easy after the surgery. The doctor said don't lift more than 15 pounds for 3 weeks so that takes me well into May. I'll play it by ear whether to go hunting or not but I'm trying to think positive and hope I can get out by the end of the season. I'm getting it done the old fashioned way instead of having it done arthroscopically so the recovery time will be longer. He'll be installing a Gore-Tex mesh. Turkey season is my favorite so it kills me to not get in the woods but my health is more important so I have to make sure I don't do anything stupid either. I do have age on my side at least, I'm only 36.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline demented

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2010, 11:46:29 PM »
 Getting ready is one reason I like my NE Turkey shotgun so well.  A I gotta do is put on some camo, grab the gun and four or five shells and head out.  Well, something to eat and drink and a can of tick, chigger, skeeter dope I carry too! 

Offline retrosub

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2010, 11:46:08 AM »
I'm going tomorrow, taking the 12ga 28" modified because it's what I've got. There might be hogs in the same location, so I'm taking a few slugs as well.

Offline Daman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • A Real Regular
  • Me and Papa's first double!!!
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2010, 02:24:47 PM »
I am headed out in the morning with my little cousin who is 4. It will be his first turkey hunt. He is all pumped up cause I am letting him take the tamer 410 that I gave him for his b-day. It won't be loaded of course, but that doesn't mean much to him. I don't expect much out of the hunt cause I don't think he can be still long enough to do any hunting so I at least want to get him where he can here one gobble and I will probably carry him over to one of the fields we feed but don't hunt to see one strut on up in the morning. After that I will be planting my grandfather a garden.

Good luck everyone.

Daman
Live simple. Hunt Hard. Love Life.

I thank God everyday for my loving wife and all the fond memories of hunting with my Papa from a child until now.

Please take time to take a kid hunting, it will be a life long memory and blessing for both of you!

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2010, 02:36:35 AM »
I missed the 1st day yesterday!  I haven't scouted at all but know where they are on my land. Hope to get out a few times next week. Where on the Eastern Shore are you hunting Dave?
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun