Author Topic: Adding a Scope to my Tracker?  (Read 801 times)

Offline Hntr2506

• Trade Count: (0)
Adding a Scope to my Tracker?
« on: February 21, 2010, 09:22:27 PM »
I wanted to put a scope base on my 12ga slug gun.I've seached a little on he web and I'm getting different opinons.

First option is to drill and tap the barrel.I have read several people have done this,even though sounds kind of risky.

Second option is to silver solder a scope base on the shotgun.I have foundsome silver solder with a low melting point to use(370 degrees).I'm not sold on this idea because of the distortion heat can cause.

Third option is to use an epoxy and do  it myself.This I favor for the cost and being able to keep the gun with me.Problems are,What works best?Will it stand up to the recoil of a 12ga?

Anybody do any of these?How did it work?Is it worth the trouble?

Thanks Rob

Offline Spanky

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (96)
  • USMC Semper Fidelis
Re: Adding a Scope to my Tracker?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 03:29:37 AM »
Silver solder is the way to go.

Spanky

Offline Hntr2506

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 03:39:46 AM »
Is this something that I should find a gunsmith to do?Where would you buy the steel weaver style base,only seen aluminum.

Thanks Rob

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2010, 05:05:49 AM »
Only Warne makes steel bases, see the FAQs and Help sticky and the link below on the same topic.

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,200037.msg1099030142.html#msg1099030142
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline woodchukhntr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (108)
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2010, 05:50:53 AM »
Take it to a reputable gunsmith for his opinion.  It wouldn't be a problem on the 20 ga., but I think the 12 ga. barrel is too thin.  I would try JB Weld, but silver soldering a steel base is the best way.  I'm surprised that H&R never offered a soldered-on base as an option.  I guess that they didn't think it was worth the effort since they already had the heavier slug gun.

Offline Hntr2506

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 08:58:51 AM »
Ok...I talked to a gunsmith yesterday.He told me I was just wasting money trying to silver solder a scope mount on the barrel.He said he had done it for another customer with bad results(scope and base detached after a few shots).

He recommended just buying a new gun.That was disappointing news.I have this gun just sitting around doing nothing and wanted to do this project.I'm going to silver solder the thing my self.I will make it work or not but buying a new gun isn't the way I wanted to go.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 11:27:20 AM »
I'd say he did a poor job of soldering if it came off that soon, seems to me the Tracker I barrels had soldered scope bases, and older H&Rs had underlugs that were silver soldered!! He also may have tried to solder an aluminum base on which I doubt would work, I've never had good luck with aluminum solder.

Tim

Offline PowPow

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 11:53:40 AM »
I went through this same conversation and exercise about a month ago.

I installed an aluminum rail that I already had using bedding compound that I already had.
The bedding compound was a two part resin and hardener, similar ot other epoxys.
It was on pretty firm.

A week ago I decided to remove it.
It took considerable force to break it loose, and came off clean.
I think the force to remove it was significantly more than the force of recoil.

The difference between people who do stuff and people who don't do stuff is that the people who do stuff do stuff.

Offline woodchukhntr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (108)
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 11:56:51 AM »
Quick is right.  There is no way a properly silver soldered base would come off.  If you know what you are doing, give it a try, but be sure to use a steel base.

I also concur with Powpow.  I have used JB Weld on bases and they defy removal except by heating them with a propane torch to soften the epoxy.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2010, 11:57:47 AM »
Add a single 8-40 mounting screw as a recoil lug and you'd have a very serviceable mount IMO, SuperWeld would be my first choice.  ;)

Tim

http://www.eclecticproducts.com/_tds/sw_tds.pdf

http://www.jbweld.net/products/jbweld.php

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2010, 03:54:59 PM »
Just my 2 cents, A few years ago, I had a 12 ga barrel I tried JB Weld on with a Handi Base that I had "roughed up" so the JB would stick... within 2 shots  it smacked my eye and flew to the ground....
Just my 2 cents for what they are worth....

-Aaron

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2010, 03:57:56 PM »
Using epoxy takes good prep, I'd bet you didn't get both surfaces prepped well Aaron. I've had several members report JB Weld not working on shims, but I've done dozens of them with no failures, it's all in the surface prep.  ;)

Tim

Offline Graycg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (74)
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2010, 01:28:30 PM »
I bought a tracker 2 12 gauge rifled barrel off here last year, the barrel has a big chunk of steel silver soldered on and that has a long one piece weaver rail drilled and tapped into it.  It is soldered on just behind the rear sight and is really solid.  I have a 1.5-4.5 bushnell sportview shotgun  on it right now and shoot winchester BRI slugs out of it.  It kicks like hell, but the shotgun scope has a longer eye relief than most and that is good!  Mount seems to do the trick, without messing with accuracy.  Great gun for deer from a stand, it only weighs about 6 pounds with the scope so is easy to carry and climb with (unloaded of course) and who ever felt the kick when shooting at meat!

regards,
 Graycg
"Secretly you want me on that wall; you need me on that wall"  
 Colonel Nathan Jessup

Offline spikehorn

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (84)
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2010, 04:35:41 PM »
I have a 12ga Tracker II that I bought from MSPret and he told me he did the drill & tap for an 8-40 and then epoxied the base on. I've been shooting hornady SST's through it and have had no problems. maybe he will chime in and let us know what kind of epoxy he used. 
308 win                 45-70                       12ga         
30-30                    223 stainless steel   20ga TDC
44 mag                  Tracker II 20ga        20ga
45-70 Manlicher     20ga USH                28ga
                                                              410ga