Author Topic: Carry Permit = No Insurance  (Read 872 times)

Offline epanzella

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Carry Permit = No Insurance
« on: April 12, 2010, 02:45:46 PM »
My son was just denied homeowners insurance by the AMICA Insurance Company because he has a pistol permit. No previous claims, no criminal record, no incidents, not even a parking ticket. Anybody ever hear of such a thing?
Ed P

Offline trotterlg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (36)
Re: Carry Permit = No Insurance
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 04:29:11 PM »
At the minimum I would say a letter to the State insurance commisioner would be in order.  If open carry is legal in your state I would say some organized open carry picketing of their offices would probably get some action.  Larry
A gun is just like a parachute, if you ever really need one, nothing else will do.

Offline epanzella

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 05:54:32 PM »
At the minimum I would say a letter to the State insurance commisioner would be in order.  If open carry is legal in your state I would say some organized open carry picketing of their offices would probably get some action.  Larry
Here in Ct we have only concealed carry.

Offline shooter

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 06:30:52 PM »
If either of you are NRA members ( i hope you both are) i'd call them and inform them of this....they have a way of applying pressure in such situations.Meantime,find a different insurance carrier.
Shooter
Shooter

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 01:27:39 AM »
trotterjg x 2; shooter x 2.  

How did they find out he has a carry permit?  Is that public information in Ct.???  Is it legal to use this sort of information to make a determination?

Get another insurance company.

I would call the NRA as shooter advised.

I would also consider talking to a good lawyer regarding discrimination by the insurance company.

I can imagine a insurance company might not want to insured a home that contains a criminals most sought after focus of theft and that may be their policy but it still discriminates and I agree with a letter to the state insurance commissioner as well as the state attorney general; and a article in a local newspaper just to publically embarrass them.  Just a thought.  

Offline epanzella

• Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 05:20:46 AM »
trotterjg x 2; shooter x 2.  

How did they find out he has a carry permit?  Is that public information in Ct.???  Is it legal to use this sort of information to make a determination?

Get another insurance company.

I would call the NRA as shooter advised.

I would also consider talking to a good lawyer regarding discrimination by the insurance company.

I can imagine a insurance company might not want to insured a home that contains a criminals most sought after focus of theft and that may be their policy but it still discriminates and I agree with a letter to the state insurance commissioner as well as the state attorney general; and a article in a local newspaper just to publically embarrass them.  Just a thought.
They found out about the permit because they asked a specific question and my son answered honestly.

Offline BBF

• GBO Supporter
  • I feel much better now knowing it will get worse.
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 09:39:35 AM »
That should give you a good clue which party gets their financial contribution >:(
What is the point of Life if you can't have fun.