Author Topic: Range Estimation  (Read 568 times)

Offline Drollerindy

• Trade Count: (1)
Range Estimation
« on: May 11, 2010, 01:11:50 PM »
Can you use the adjustable objective on a rifle scope as a range finder to determine what hold-over you need?

Doug

Offline diggler1833

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Re: Range Estimation
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 03:24:28 PM »
You can give it a try, but that is not a reliable way to determine range estimation. 

Offline sscoyote

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 04:48:02 PM »
I always apply a reticle-rangefinding system with my multi-stadia optics, from simple plex to Ballistic Plex. I calculate a point blank range RES for my optic and a full blown RES. It's all based on the mil-ranging formula. Look here for both systems-- www.ottllc.com/specialtypistols/sp20.pdf Item C) Reticle Rangefinding

Offline Dances with Geoducks

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 05:05:37 PM »

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 05:49:23 PM »
No, you can not!

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 06:42:16 PM »
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline sscoyote

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 05:50:46 AM »
...All based on the mil-dot mil-ranging formula (even downrange zeroing with any multi-stadia reticle and/or turret is based on this simple equation). Here it is--

Rangefinding (inches to yards)-- target size (") x range of reticle subtension measurement (usually 100 yards) / reticle subtension (") / quantity of gap tgt. occupies (decimal equivalent) = range (yds.)

Example-- Leupold Duplex reticle used for their range estimating system is designed for a 16" deer back to brisket...but the mil-ranging formula is better than their system as designed. Pg. 100 of '10 catalog shows the subtension as 5.4 inch per 100 yds. between plex post tips @ 14x. 16" b-b deer brackets perfectly between post tips (100% or 1.0 decimal equivalent). Now punch figures into equation--

16 x 100 / 5.4 / 1.0 = 296 yds.

Same tgt. occupies 1/2 of the gap (0.5)--

1600/5.4/0.5=593 yds.

It's not always this easy though as RES's are based on the shooter's ability to interpolate between stadia points accurately and guess tgt. size accurately, which gets geometrically more difficult the further out the tgt. gets, and some other variables.

Offline diggler1833

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 02:40:38 PM »
IMO if you are shooting far enough away that you can't hold maximum point blank range it would be a good time to invest in a rangefinder.  Don't forget about the value of doping wind as well.

Offline sscoyote

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 09:07:42 AM »
IMO if you are shooting far enough away that you can't hold maximum point blank range it would be a good time to invest in a rangefinder.  Don't forget about the value of doping wind as well.

Absolutely! Couldn't agree more.

Offline mrbigtexan

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular