Author Topic: Help with a carriage  (Read 518 times)

Offline mac266

• Trade Count: (0)
Help with a carriage
« on: April 12, 2010, 01:41:27 PM »
My thread about Coehorns notwithstanding, what I *REALLY* want is a full scale cannon.  I would like to build the carriage rather than drop $10k on one.  Of course I would buy the barrel; building one myself is completely out of the question.  I have experience with woodworking and have access to a decent wood shop.

The one thing that terrifies me is fabricating all the metal hardware on the carriage.  I've looked online and haven't been able to find a hardware kit.  Is there anyone who makes a kit containing all the metal hardware for a full scale carriage? 

If it matters, I'm willing to build any of the Civil War era field artillery pieces, but for now I think my first choice would be an 1841 6 pounder. 
MAC

NRA Member and Certified Instructor
SASS Member
Pikes Peak Firearms Coalition Member

"Courage is almost a contradiction in terms.  It means a strong desire to live, taking the form of readiness to die."  - G.K. Chesterson

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Help with a carriage
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 02:53:22 PM »
My thread about Coehorns notwithstanding, what I *REALLY* want is a full scale cannon.  I would like to build the carriage rather than drop $10k on one.  Of course I would buy the barrel; building one myself is completely out of the question.  I have experience with woodworking and have access to a decent wood shop.

The one thing that terrifies me is fabricating all the metal hardware on the carriage.  I've looked online and haven't been able to find a hardware kit.  Is there anyone who makes a kit containing all the metal hardware for a full scale carriage? 

If it matters, I'm willing to build any of the Civil War era field artillery pieces, but for now I think my first choice would be an 1841 6 pounder. 

Look through the Black powder cannons link list there are several folks listed that sell hardware.

Offline Cat Whisperer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Pulaski Coehorn Works
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 03:25:39 PM »
Sounds like a niche that if someone isn't filling it now someone else will.

Cannon kits.  Sounds like Dixie Gun works.

Tim K                 www.GBOCANNONS.COM
Cat Whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery
U.S.Army Retired
N 37.05224  W 80.78133 (front door +/- 15 feet)

Offline Zulu

• Honor is a gift a man gives himself.
    • Wood & Ironworks
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 03:30:33 PM »
There is always an add in Artilleryman magazine for all metal work for a #1 carriage.  I think it runs around $3000
Zulu
Zulu's website
www.jmelledge.com

Offline Cannoneer

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 07:31:55 PM »
Mac266,
First check with one of our sponsors Dominick Carpenter, I know he has made carriage hardware in the past. A few of the companies that sell carriage hardware are Paulson Bros. Ordnance Corp., Steen Cannon & Ordnance Works, and Museum & Collector Specialties Company.
RIP John. While on vacation July 4th 2013 in northern Wisconsin, he was ATVing with family and pulled ahead of everyone and took off at break-neck speed without a helmet. He lost control.....hit a tree....and the tree won.  He died instantly.

The one thing that you can almost always rely on research leading to, is more research.

Offline moconfed

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 01:26:27 PM »
Might check at Miller Wagon and Cannon.
Good luck on your 6pdr. I have one and it's a blast! (literally)