Author Topic: Finally ordered a 7X57...after 20 years!  (Read 915 times)

Offline Big Tom

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Finally ordered a 7X57...after 20 years!
« on: October 27, 2003, 01:03:50 PM »
:lol: I have long wanted to get another 7X57 rifle and finally made the move. I bought one back in 1976 and loved it(Ruger 77R). I felt sorry for a young man who was flinching badly from try to hunt with a hand me down .300Mag  and sold it to him.
Sadly I was told by my dealer that Ruger recently dropped the 7X57 from the Model 77 line and it is only available in the Single shot rifles. I wanted a little longer barrel and opted to order the 1-A light Sporter.
I would appreciate any comments/advice on this rifle, or new ammo available, primarily for deer hunting. Thanks  :grin:
Tom Gursky
Northwoods Guide Service
"May all your trophies be worthy of The Book"

Offline mart

7x57
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2003, 06:32:48 AM »
Big Tom,

You have chosen wisely. I have been a fan of the 7x57 for decades and finally got one a couple of years ago, a Ruger 77. I used it to take the last deer I shot in the lower 48. I used a Hornady 154 grain over IMR 4350 to take a large bodied 3 point mule deer at 80 yards. One deer does not tell you much but the 7x57 has a great track record. I sold mine, but only so I could order a left handed action to build one with bolt on the correct side. When it is built it will be my sheep/goat rifle and my pronghorn/mule deer rifle. I would not hesitate to use it on any North American game. It wouldn't be my first choice for a large bear gun but I would use it if needed. Good luck and good hunting. Mart.
"Only lefthanded guns are interesting."

Offline 7x57

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2003, 01:06:27 PM »
It should be clear how I feel about this round :wink:

I use a 160 grain Speer Grand Slam with 45grains of Win 760 or IMR 4350 for everything. This load is scarily accurate, and drops critters in their tracks with even a half decent hit!!!!!

Funny but it also shoots 140 Noslers or 175 core-lokts to nearly the same spot.  

Have fun this cartridge rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Get as close as you can, then get ten yards closer.

Offline jhm

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2003, 01:59:19 PM »
Tom :  I happen to have one of the older rugers 77 with tang in that caliber also it just dont get the use it should, as I have really fallen for a rem. mod. 7 in 7mm-08 over the last few years you will enjoy it as it has been around for many years and will continue top be here when a lot of the new hot shots are gone by the wayside, let us know how she performs and congradulations. :D    JIM

Offline Big Tom

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2003, 03:08:04 PM »
I am setting this rifle up for heavy cover deer hunting. I have a Leupold VariX III in 1.5-5X that will top the receiver. I have some factory Super-X 145 gr power points to try it out with but plan to work up a load with 150-160 gr bullets as soon as I get my new dies.

What type of bullet would you go with for shots at Northern Whitetails in the Big Woods. Velocity should be around 25-2600 fps.
Tom Gursky
Northwoods Guide Service

Offline mart

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2003, 04:47:15 PM »
Big Tom,

I would give the Hornady 154 grain spire point or the Nosler 160 grain Partition a try. The Nosler would probably be the best all around bullet for big deer and black bear. Good luck. Mart
"Only lefthanded guns are interesting."

Offline Big Tom

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2003, 04:53:55 PM »
I put a nice little Pentax Lightseeker 2.5 scope on the Ruger 7X57 and went to the range today. The trigger was heavy,about 4-5 lbs( as I expected) but with no creep it was manageable.
A few shots had me in the bullseye at 50 yds using factory Win SuperX 145 gr PSPs.
My partner Longwinters was a little dubious of me being able to hit the 1" yellow bullseye at 100 yds with the low power 2.5 scope. But 'what the heck!" Actually there was no way I could see the dot so I centered the whole target in the scope and....believe it or not in the bull!
Overall I am very pleased with the new Ruger 1-A Light Sporter in 7X57 Mauser and it just may be in my lap in two weekls when Deer season opens.  :grin:
Tom Gursky
Northwoods Guide Service

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2003, 03:29:09 PM »
Yeh, but Big Tom's quandry will be that he also picked up a customized Sako in 30-06 (with tigerstripe maple stock ) and it is a real shooter.  I dont know what will be more exciting . . . hunting on opening day or finding out which rifle he brings along! :lol:

long
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline THE#1hunter

• A Real Regular
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2003, 03:27:45 AM »
Congrats :D
Good Luck, Be Safe, and God Bless  :D

Ephesians 2:8
--For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith-and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of god--

Offline Big Tom

• Contributor
good load for 7X57
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2003, 04:39:38 PM »
I worked up a few loads for my new Ruger 1-A in 7X57 Mauser. Today at the range I got great results! :eek:
I loaded 51gr of 4831 behind a 140 gr Nosler solid base spitzer. Results were an 0.60" group at 100 yds. This was done with a 1.5X5 Leupold VariX III off the bench bag .  8)
I am really impressed with this little Ruger Light Sporter single shot rifle!
Tom Gursky
Northwoods Guide Service

Offline 1911crazy

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2003, 02:03:44 AM »
I have just started shooting the 7mm round for about a year + now.  And like it the 7MM and the 6.5 swede are two great rounds.   I met a guy at the local range who seen my 7mm chilean mauser and he said he has a hunting buddy who has killed everything in North america and thin skinned game in Africa too with the 7MM mauser(7X57) round.  This is a great gun to shoot and has plenty of power and doesn't want to rip your arm/shoulder off like my 338 win. mag.             BigBill

Offline sambar02

7x57
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2003, 03:43:10 AM »
:D I set up 7x57 98 mauser for my eldest boy a few years  ago it originally belonged to a proffessional hunting guide my boy still uses it and refuses to pass it on to his younger brother,we load 175 grn. Woodleighs over 49 grns Ar2213 sc (H4831sc) with a magnum primer,with its light weight and 19.5 inch barrel it is a great bush gun,hell he even uses it on rabbits. His little brother now thinks he owns my Browning lever .308 boy is he in for a shock. Guess i will have to make up another 98 for him tho might try a 8x57 this time.