Author Topic: Firearms Values  (Read 604 times)

Offline Spirithawk

• Trade Count: (1)
Firearms Values
« on: May 26, 2010, 06:42:41 AM »
I've read many posts, by both those wishing to buy or sell, wondering about the values of a firearm. Now most have Blue Book values but the true value is what a person is willing to pay. My son and I are always selling, trading or buying and we've found the best way to get a real down to Earth idea of a firearms value is to check on GunBroker.com. You'd be surprised at the wide range of firearms that they auction. Many with buy it now values. They handle everything from Antiques, Black Powder, Curios, to about any modern firearm you can imagine. I hope this helps out if you are either buying or selling.

Offline GRIMJIM

• GBO Supporter
Re: Firearms Values
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 07:35:13 AM »
I prefer gunsamerica, gunbrokers prices seem to get pretty outrageous at times.
GBO SENIOR MEMBER "IF THAT BALL COMES IN MY YARD I'M KEEPING IT!"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

UNION STEWARD CARPENTERS LOCAL 1027

IF GOD DIDN'T WANT US TO EAT ANIMALS, WHY DID HE MAKE THEM OUT OF MEAT?

Offline rockbilly

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 08:19:04 AM »
I have found better values on Auctionarms.com.  Over the years I have I have bought 10-12 guns off that site, only had one that did not meet my expectations, the dealer was a real gentleman, he readily refunded my money including shipping both ways.

I have also purchased a couple off Gunbrokers, guns normally run a little higher there, but I got what I expected on those purchased too.  I don't deal with gunsamerica for reasons I will not disclose!

Buying and selling guns is a lot like buying and selling vehicles,  the owner always places a higher value on what is being sold or traded than it is actually worth, and of course, the buyer most always thinks they are asking too much. ??? ???

Offline jhm

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 03:28:49 AM »
     I will stick with the Blue Book myself it gets both parties on the same page to begin with, ANY Auction is just that a Auction and both novis people with a little extra money in their try to BUY the item no matter the Items Value, I tend to stay away from those places for that reason, at one time you could get some good buys at Auctions but now it is out of hand.   Jim

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 03:42:19 AM »
Gun stores in the area are a great place to price guns . Why would someone pay more to you that a store would sell it for ? The Blue book is fine in some cases but in others its way behind . When Winchester closed it took Blue book an issue to catch up . Same with the rush to get AR's . The online auctions are ok for folks that live where prices are high in many cases but like where i live competition is high and prices are lower that online prices alot of the time. We have a trading post here it is a great place to price guns . East of here about 50 miles there is another trading post with prices a little higher in just that short distance.
 My point is to have several ways to price and use them to check each other . I would have not liked to have sold a 1950's mod 94 for $175.00 because of BB just after the plant closed . I would have bought it though if the one in the shop was going for $ 400.00 .
If ya can see it ya can hit it !

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 05:46:05 PM »
jhm. I have to disagree with you on purchasing off an auction site, if a man does his “homework” and knows the value of an item and bids accordingly, there are some good deals to be found there, For example, I recently picked up a vintage Winchester, (pre 64 with the cut checking) Model 100, .284 in excellent condition, it had a near new Leopold 2x7 scope/rings and base and three extra magazines for $375 plus $20. shipping.  The day I picked it up from my FFL dealer I was offered $500.  According to my "Blue Book of Gun Values" I would grade and place the value at $750. for the gun alone.

As I said, I have made many purchases off the auction sites, the deals are there, just be aware of the guns value and bid the maximum amount you are willing to pay, you may not win them all but occasionally you will get a GOOD deal 8).

Offline salvo

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 05:58:48 PM »
If you use a site like Gunbroker to determine value you need to use the advanced search features and look up the closed auction option. That will tell you what someone actually paid and show you the ones that keep relisting waiting for a sucker to come along.
________
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan