Author Topic: great day in the woods  (Read 544 times)

Offline 351 power

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
great day in the woods
« on: November 19, 2010, 01:09:19 AM »
my last day to get out for deer this yr. i like to stalk thru the woods so i'd just been 10 min in there when i spotted 2 moose lying not far away. i was able to sneek within 20 yds before they stood up. the largest cow began to circle downwind trying to get a scent i think. i moved downwind myself to see how long i could keep her insight. great fun to stay with her. continued on thru the woods for about another hr and quietly got to within 40 yds of nice forkhorn buck. some brush between us and i got 5yds closer before getting a clearer chance to shoot. wind was not hurting me and the buck had no idea i was there. just had the shot lined up and the buck moved downhill into more brush. i followed slow and quiet to try again but the brush folded in around him. went to the beaver pond at the bottom of the hill hoping the deer had continued there. circled right and then left of the last sighting i had but i was denied. should i have rushed the shot or chanced spooking him with a quick rush on his trail? these are my thoughts as i head for home. but what a rush. good day in the woods
every day is a gift. use it well

colour is a symbol of where you are from and not of who you are

Offline JRW209

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Avid Poster
Re: great day in the woods
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 02:43:18 PM »
I think you did the right thing. A rushed shot on a dear is never a good idea and I would say more times than not it turns out bad for you and the dear. Sound like you had a good day in the woods. You'll get him next time.

JW